What's new

Rolls Razor, its care and feeding

I have one myself from the same era...... Great to know how to use it because I never got any good results It's in Perfect condition with the original booklet

Yeah thanks for this thread :thumbup:
I didn't know where to go in my rotation this morning, and reading this inspired me to break out the Rolls Imperial.
I've been getting in a lot of honing practice lately so I thought I'd get this blade the best I could - as others have said, honing the Rolls blade outside the box is essential for a truly good result.
This time I stropped it outside the box too, first on CrOx then horsehide after giving it a few laps on a barber hone then slate.
Wow! Best shave yet!
proxy.php

proxy.php

Yesterday I shaved with a Durham Duplex, which is also brilliant, and I've seen the DD and Rolls both described as "transition razors" which is a really good description.
The Rolls handles like a safety but shaves like a straight, whereas the DE handles like a straight but shaves like a safety :what:

To be honest I find maintenance of the Rolls to be more hassle than straights (stropping it in the box wakes my girlfriend up :D ) and I can see why they fell into disuse.
But what a lot of fun and what a great shave!

Top Bottom