What's new

Can someone explain what "corking" a blade means?

I hope I am right....

Literally running a blade through a piece of cork. It...dulls it a little? Smooths it out?? Not really dull, but....makes it more comfortable? A stropping if you will.

Grr...someone else will be along to clear up the mess I'm saying.

I've never done it so all I'm saying comes from context of what I've read.

Lightly running the blade across a cork several times to remove/ smooth out any burrs or coating. If you ever find a blade brand that is rough the first shave or two but then seems smoother, it might be a good candidate for corking.

An alternate method is "hand stropping"

Corking and stropping are the only thing that make the latest Derbys tolerable for me. After doing both I was able to shave my face 3 times and head 2 times w/o any troubles. I'm hoping this works for the rest of them.

Last edited:
Some people find that the first shave with a new blade is rather rough, and the proceeding shaves are much smoother. This is the result of microscopic imperfections on the blade edge which are removed during the first shave.

If one wants to avoid the rough qualities of the first shave on a new blade, prior to first usage, you can run each edge of the blade lightly through a piece of cork to eliminate the microscopic imperfections (other materials also work, such as Styrofoam).

Some blades (notable newer style Derby blades, and Feathers) are said to give a rough first shave if not corked first.

Wouldn't this process effectively dull the blade? Or does this process work best only on Feather blades?

Wouldn't this process effectively dull the blade? Or does this process work best only on Feather blades?

I imagine it does dull the blade slightly. It's done frequently with Feather blades, as some find them too sharp, and thus harsh to their face.

Am I correct that this "Corking" is done with DE blades and not str8 razors??

-Robert

Correct, corking is not done with straight razors. The standard stropping of the straight on leather would take care of any roughness of the edge.

I imagine it does dull the blade slightly. It's done frequently with Feather blades, as some find them too sharp, and thus harsh to their face.

Correct, corking is not done with straight razors. The standard stropping of the straight on leather would take care of any roughness of the edge.

Thanks John...I figured, just wanted to be sure:thumbup1:

Cheers,
-Robert

While some people feel the need to 'cork' a DE blade in order to make the shave more comfortable, or the blade less aggressive, or whatever reason, I feel that corking a blade is entirely unnecessary as it intentionally dulls the blade and reduces the number of shaves you can get from that blade.

IMHO, rather than cork it, spend a little more time learning the blade, a little less pressure and focus on the technique you are using. Once you get the feel for that blade, you will be using the blade longer, and get 'more shaves per buck' so to speak.

Wouldn't this process effectively dull the blade?
The short answer is "YES!" while the long, convoluted answer is... "YES!"

While some people feel the need to 'cork' a DE blade in order to make the shave more comfortable, or the blade less aggressive, or whatever reason, I feel that corking a blade is entirely unnecessary as it intentionally dulls the blade and reduces the number of shaves you can get from that blade.

I concur. Corking dulls the blade and shortens it's lifespan. However, I do understand that some individuals that cork blades do so to "improve" them for use and if it works for you, so be it.

Last edited:
I've tried corking blades a few times, and to tell the truth I didn't notice any difference at all. I don't think it hurts anything, but I just don't see the need for it. As with anything if it makes one feel better than by all means have at it, I don't think you'll hurt anything. :001_rolle :w00t:

Top Bottom