What's new

Shaving stores in Paris?

I'll be in Paris for a few days on business. Any recommendations for shaving items to look for or places to visit?

Damn good question this, I am going to Paris with the Mrs next month for her 40th birthday. Apparently she wants to go to Versaille for the Saturday, not wander around pokey backstreets looking for Pinaud stockists. I look forward to any of your meaningful replies - obviously unlike this one!

Try Old England - 12 Blvd.des Capucines. It is basically a clothing store but they have a section that carries shave related items.

Most drug stores carry product by BioTherm, I am a fan of their products.

Be sure to hit La Maison Guerlain at 68 avenue des Champs-Elysées!

proxy.php

Last edited:
unfortunately, Paris is not a great city for wet shaving. Most french wet shavers order everything on the web.

Still you can try this store : http://www.planete-rasoir.com/EN/index.htm
where you'll find Plisson brushes, Martin de Candre soaps, ToBS range, Thiers Issard straights... at a very high price :cursing:

Old England : they offer mainly British products and Plisson brushes rebadged in Old England.

Crabtree and Evelyn, address : rue Tronchet

Penhaligon's : rue Saint Honoré

Lothantique : 81 rue de Seine - 75006 Paris
http://www.lothantique.com/FR_home.html

In Carrefour hypermarkets and a lot of the supermarkets, you'll find at a very attractive price :
Gillette Bleues extra blades (between 1,5 and 2 euros),
Carrefour blades (made by Personna, around 1,3 euros),
Monsavon soap (around 1,5 euro),
Maison du Barbier brush (made by Plisson, around 20 euros),
Maison du Barbier soap (in a ceramic bowl for 10 euros),
Maison du Barbier cream (around 5 euros),
Williams and Palmolive creams (around 2 euros).

Have fun

unfortunately, Paris is not a great city for wet shaving. Most french wet shavers order everything on the web.

As another Parisian, I can confirm this. I get all my gear in London or on the web. Even the most devoted wetshaver should be able to find better ways of spending his time in the City.

A warning to discerning B&Bers from someone who has lived here for many years: beware! the restaurants are vastly over-rated. Choose very carefully, using reliable guidebooks. Despite its reputation, this is a truly lousy restaurant town. Good luck.

Last edited:
Well, France clearly has other pleasures besides shaving. I'm now in the south of France but I did pick up some Gillette Bleue blades and Monsavon cream. Lots of Pharmacies around but not so many drug stores type shops with shaving stuff.

My wife is going to France this summer. Are there any good shaving products you can only buy in France that I should have her pick up?

Perhaps a Plisson brush or a Thiers Issard Str8 as these are both French products, however they are both ruinously expensive!!! so if you want one you had better be very nice to your wife. Both of these products are available on the internets though.

Regards Grant

Thanks for the suggestions. I have not tried a straight razor yet, and I am not inclined to do so until I get the DE under control. A Plisson brush sounds tempting, but since I am already paying for the trip, I don't believe it will be in the budget to spend that kind of money on a brush.

I believe I will have my wife pick up the Monsavon Bol à Raser and European Palmolive Cream. They are cheap and small, so my wife shouldn't complain too much about getting them for me.

You can easily find Russian Gillette blades (Silver Blue & Bleue Extra) in almost every french supermarket.

But you can also find (but less easily) famous french Plisson badgers and Hermes aftershaves and perfumes.

You can easily find Russian Gillette blades (Silver Blue & Bleue Extra) in almost every french supermarket.

Thanks for the tip on the blades. I am eager to try new blades, so I will have my wife pick me up some of both.

Savon Maison du Barbier, In the supermarkets: carrefour and Auchan, it comes into a nice porcellain bowl, and it's the same as Plisson soap (made in UK)

Cible Shave Cream and Weleda aftershave Balm in the drugstores

Plisson brushes, and Joris razors at perfumeries (Beauty Success,....)

Top Bottom