What's new

Before and After Cleaning thread

we need a thread going on before and after cleaning pics. to show guys (and myself) what they can do with that razor that may just be a little dirty so they dont have to pay crazy prices for ones that are all shiny. because id be willing to bet if they/I saw some of those razors before hand they wouldnt even want to handle them without a round of shots and some antibiotics much less shave with them. lots of guys and myself are missing out on some good deals because the razor might need a good cleaning. So post your before and after pics and give a little description of what you did to get it all cleaned up.

I've recently been on a spending spree picking up alot of old razors, most far from pristine condition. I like my razors to be used. I get a much better sense of history as I'm shaving with them if I know they were once used. I also like the idea of rescuing a razor, one that might have been consigned to the scrap heap but has now been brought back to life and will hopefully get used for many more years to come.

This arrived in the mail earlier this week.

proxy.php

It doesn't look like something you'd really want to shave with. Anyway, I gave it a good soak in Shower Power (Australia's equivalent to Scrubbing Bubbles) and then gave it a long polish with Magic Blue paste.

This is the result.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

It now looks like a fine 1920's Old Type that I'm going to be very happy to shave with. I'm also content knowing that I've possibly saved the razor and it'll now be used many many more times.

Here's another one I did last week.

proxy.php

It's an Aristocrat but as you can see from the head, it had "issues". This was more of a repair than a clean. The head was in two pieces because the centre shaft from the head was loose. I unscrewed the centre shaft, reset the bottom TTO thread to the right length, rescrewed the centre shaft from the head in with some Loctite on it and put the head back together. Not too hard but a little fiddley. It probably took me 40 mins. I then give it a good clean and it came up pretty good.

proxy.php

It's not my favorite razor to shave with. If anyone can tell me what model it is I'd be greatful. It's alot heavier and a bit bigger than the other Aristocrat I have.

I agree on that - I just received my "new" Superspeeds and Slim. The Slim was pretty gunked up - lots of green crud all over it and couldn't twist the dial to adjust. Spend last night soaking and scrubbing....got it clean and got the gunk out of the dial, so it can be adjusted again. It's still a bit of a beater, showing significant brassing, but I used it for the first time this morning and was rewarded with a great shave :thumbup:

thanks for posting. im hoping this will turn into a sticky.

id shave with all of the above. :thumbup1:

This is far and away my best before and after effort. Great idea for a thread!!!:001_smile

Did you clean the inside? If so, How? I have a pocket set that could use a cleaning inside (i regret not taking before pictures because it cleaned up REAL NICE!)

Did you clean the inside? If so, How? I have a pocket set that could use a cleaning inside (i regret not taking before pictures because it cleaned up REAL NICE!)

I take lint and things off of the inner liners with a piece of rolled up tape... pat pat pat... comes up pretty well. A word of caution: don't use that technique on the silk screened logo/lettering, it WILL come off.

Right, you have to be very careful around the logo imprint. Mostly I just used a brush and Q-Tip and the tape trick for certain areas. Occasionally a damp cloth helps to remove the caked on grime from many decades. The exterior of the bakelite faux ivory was easily cleaned with soap, water and a bit of car wax polish. I was amazed how physically intact this case was, most have chips, dings or broken hinges.

Finished up cleaning my recent eBay purchase.....

1958 Superspeed before:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

After:
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

1960 Superspeed before:

proxy.php

proxy.php

After:
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

1961 Slim before:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

After:
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

The Superspeeds cleaned up beautifully - both turned out to be in excellent condition after a thorough cleaning and look terrific. The Slim is in fair condition, but under all that gunk and tarnish was some extensive brassing. Still shaves beautifully, though, now that cleaning has made its adjustable dial functional again.

I've enjoyed my first foray into razor restoration and look forward to finding some more diamonds in the rough soon!

Top Bottom