What's new

Blade corking

If I wanted to cork a blade, how would I go about doing it? What I mean is do you just pull the blade through the cork a couple of times? Or do you pull the blade along the cork much like stropping? :blush:

I'm really not clear on how to do this. Thanks for any help. :thumbup1:

Regards,

Paul

With the low cost of blades I don't worry about corking a blade. Corking is supposed to help restore the edge of a blade by removing the small burrs that can develop. I don't see the need for corking.

My understanding is that you pull the blade through the cork to eliminate any burrs, imperfections the blade may have from production. This process also helps with blades that are "too sharp" on the first shave. Sometimes feathers fall into this category for myself. Hope this answers your question.

My understanding is that you pull the blade through the cork to eliminate any burrs, imperfections the blade may have from production. This process also helps with blades that are "too sharp" on the first shave. Sometimes feathers fall into this category for myself. Hope this answers your question.

This is my understanding as well, although I have never done it. Thinking about taking some Feathers on a trip tomorrow and was wondering if that was a good idea since they can be a bit harsh on the first shave. Since I don't have any cork, was wondering if pulling them through a piece of cardboard would accomplish the same thing. Opinions?

From the ShaveWiki Glossary:
Corking Taking a DE blade and pulling the edges through a cork (for instance from a wine bottle). Some people find it help take the roughness out of sharper blades like those made by Feather.
Another advantage to corking a blade for its second or third use is that it will get the cutting edge squeaky clean, removing any soap scum that may remain from previous uses.

I've tried corking, but I really can't find any big difference whether I cork or not. So I stopped doing it, since it was just an added step and increased time that didn't add much, if any, benefit to the shave.

If you do cork, be very careful in how you hold the blade. I found it best to mount the blade to the head of a 2 or 3 piece razor, and hold it in place with my thumb as I swipe it through the cork.

Have you tried using your hand to strop your blade? Using the bottom of the palm of your hands (the tougher part) you can 'strop' the blade.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member

+1
Feathers are the only blade I cork, and that is why. Corking slightly dulls the feather so it is a nice shave the first time through. Without corking, I get great shaves with a feather AFTER the first one.

Just cut the cork ever so slightly with the edge of the blade, only to the depth of the blade edge / bevel.

Top Bottom