What's new

ogallala bay rum burned :(

Anyone else get a burning (like your face is going to peel off) after applying ogallala bay rum aftershave?

That's how it felt for me this morning. I mean my face was fire engine red. The proraso after shave balm saved my life.

Did I apply the ogallala wrong? I just splashed some into my hands, rubbed it, then applied to face.

Wow. I feel lucky to be alive :)

If the burn was more than a typical alcohol burn you get from a regular alcohol aftershave you were probably allergic to something in it. Lots of guys can't use bay rum soap/cream or aftershave because their skin reacts to it. In that case, you should've washed your face off.

However, if you used too much and didn't apply it with wet face and hands then it could've burned quite a bit more than it was supposed to. Also, patting your hands on your face is better than rubbing it into your face with alcohol based aftershaves.

Last edited:
Bay Rum aftershaves in general exhibit a bit of a burn when applied, but it usually dissipates in a short period of time.

Definitely shake it well, because it separates. But I barely get any burn at all with this. Maybe you're allergic to something in it?

I think that some of the OBR batches are stronger than others. I am not allergic to it, but my bottle burns like I'm using magma for an AS. There's a good 90 second stretch where I have to fight off tears when I apply. After that it fades to a nice warm sensation, and all redness goes away.

I think that some of the OBR batches are stronger than others. I am not allergic to it, but my bottle burns like I'm using magma for an AS. There's a good 90 second stretch where I have to fight off tears when I apply. After that it fades to a nice warm sensation, and all redness goes away.

Haha..I know Exactly how you feel...I laughed when I read this.

Nope, the soap burns my skin as well. I guess I'm one of the unlucky ones. Will get rid of the soap, may PIF it to a neighbor......

However, Dr Harris Arlington and Tabac are fabulous! So I'm not too upset. I still have two really great soaps, and I like the Tabac A/S as well!

That's how I felt after using the original, but the limes and peppercorns has very little burn to me. I have some bay rum and sandalwood coming, so I'll see how it does. If I had to guess I'd say it was the clove causing the fires of hell.

Not that it necessarily plays into your dilema, but remember that Ogallala should be shaken.
Ogallala shouldn't be shaken, it must be shaken. I experienced the same excessive burn and tingle after my first two applications, but have since shaken the bottle very well before use and haven't had any issues.

Give it a good shake and another try. I'll bet you notice a difference.

Ogallala shouldn't be shaken, it must be shaken. I experienced the same excessive burn and tingle after my first two applications, but have since shaken the bottle very well before use and haven't had any issues.

Give it a good shake and another try. I'll bet you notice a difference.

I have always given mine a hefty paint-mixer session before each use. I still maintain that there are bottles out there with more oils than others.

That's how I felt after using the original, but the limes and peppercorns has very little burn to me. I have some bay rum and sandalwood coming, so I'll see how it does. If I had to guess I'd say it was the clove causing the fires of hell.

I acquired a bottle of BR+Sandalwood from my brother, and yes the burn was much more muted. He said that the Limes and Peppercorns was pretty mild too. I should loan him my bottle of pure Bay Rum and see what he thinks.

Now if only they made more products with the Sage and Cedar scent... :001_tt1:

I once splashed the cologne instead of the AS and had the melting of the face feeling. The AS is a nice sting as most due.

I had better results today...Gave it a really good shake and applied after my cold water rinse before I dried off my face. Didn't sting. I did only use very little today but will try out more tomorrow.

If only my face would handle another shave today..haha.

I still maintain that there are bottles out there with more oils than others.
+1 on that. The big bottle I had would separate and the Bay could be seen at the bottom in a thick layer. Don't give it timid wrist shake, but a full-on neck snapping thrash of a shake before using.

Top Bottom