What's new

Newbie, asking for a restoration opinion

Okay I picked up this blade at a local bits and bobs shop dirt cheap, I was wondering what an experienced eyes opinion of its restoration potential is, to become a daily shaver?

I don't as yet shave fully with a straight, I have a shavette (which I have been using to thin down a few days growth, and I have to say I really enjoy it) but I find the blade just isn't sharp enough and tugs in several areas while going XTG.

Since the blade was not expensive I'm happy to let it stand on my shelf but I would prefer it to become a trial workhorse.

proxy.php

This is a picutre of each side of the blade, I have not posted the picture directly becuase its 2700 pixels in width so you can see it nice and close.
http://freedomandchaos.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/images/bladelength.jpg

What I am concerned about is the horizontal line in the middle of the blade, it doesn't look like it's caused by the way it sits in the scales so i am concerned this could be some sort of fault or weakness?

I do have some interests in its origin, the scales seem like and early plastic fuax Tortoise "the yellowish orange areas are semi transparent", but the blade says Sheffield Steel, Fully Hollow Grounded in German. And the other logo is a diamond with Britain stamped in it and i can;t figure if its made in Britain or a company stamp?

I'd be please with any advise on the identity or restoration merit of this razor.

How does the surface of the blade feel, particularly where that line is? I doubt it's from an imperfection of the steel. It's probably more from some sort of accident (maybe someone tried restoring it in the past).

You mean that the shine in the middle of that razor is not actually a shine, but a line?
Wow that sounds confusing since it all rhymes.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
That looks all right to be restored. No heavy pitting, no cracks and I can't see any chips... Can't see the line...

I could have that blade looking like a mirror and those scales looking pretty darn shiny too in about an hour or so.

So, yes. Definitely restorable. The line will go away, its just dirt/rust from being in the scales too long. It happens. I'd shave with that. Gorgeous razor. Well, when its all cleaned up that is.

Your razor was made in Germany from Sheffield steel. Meaning some German company that is long gone imported steel from England to make their razors from. Same as some modern sword manufacturers advertising their steel as swedish powdered steel. Sheffield steel back then had a brand name to it. Scales are faux tortoiseshell, probably made from celluloid judging from the looks, but could be more modern plastic. I could tell you if I had it in my hands.

Thank you very much for the responses gentlemen, there certainly most useful and reassuring.

As for the line it does seem to just be a polishing mark or something along those lines, I was just uncertain if there is a common issue with full hollow razors since I have no real experience (there is only a slight scratch in one part of the line near the middle but that appears to be minor).

Depending on cost I am sure i will look at having it restored but I assume it will wait until after the holidays, I can bet all the restores in England are polishing up there own stock right now. I may try giving it a good clean and less abrasive polish myself just to see how it comes out.

Thank you for information

Update: So I had a go at hand sanding the blade, I picked up single sheets of sandpaper (Silicone Carbine ranging form 240-1500 at an auto shop for £3.

It took a good 4 hours of sanding (more than half of that was with the 240 trying to remove the pits/blemishes) but the result seems okay.

Here is the result, I've put it next to a clean mirror finished plastic so the photo Is not being to biased (peeled back the plastic for the picture so its as clean as can be).

Larger Image link

proxy.php

I've got a pot of MAAS coming soon "this stuff is damn hard to find in the uk" so I will give it a polish and hopefully that will remove some of the diry in the spine and thumb grips.

Good job mate.

If you want to take it up another level to get a mirror finish on it, go 2000 and 2500 paper, makes a big difference. But im not a big fan of mirror finish as it shoes all the blemishes and soap blotches.

Polishing will clean up the spine, but it will re-blacken as you havnt removed all the little pits.
Re the thumb notch, the only way to get that is with a wire brush, i use one on a dermal, but they never come 100%, you just cans sand the surface in the valleys, if you catch my drift, but the wire brush gets alot of the rust and gunk out.

If you cant find Mass, you may have Autosol, it is fantastic.

Good onya budy, now all you need to do is get a shaving edge on it.

+B

p.s. you technique will need to improve with much time to have no problems doing and ATG pass. ;)

Top Bottom