What's new

Are These Single Edge Blades Shave Worthy?

Has anyone tried these blades sold on Amazon? They are made by American Safety Razor and PTFE coated. How do they compare to the blades sold by Ted Pella? I bought a GEM Junior on ebay for the sum of $1.00 plus $4.95 shipping. I'm awaiting delivery.

The amazon blades are $6.75 including shipping (with Amazon Prime), which seems like a good way for me to make my start in the SE world. They are $18.95 including shipping for 100. think about buying 25 to start, to see how I like them. I don't want the make the 200 blade commitment from Ted Pella until I know I like my SE. Once I decide I like my SE, I'll be looking for the best blade, not the best bargain.

Description on Amazon:
Product Features

• PTFE Coated Industrial Quality Blades for Critical Cuts
  • Stainless Steel .009 Inch Blades
  • Aluminum Backing
  • Individually Packaged
  • Wrapped in Protective Paper for Safe Handling

I can't find it right now, but another member bought these and found that they came in the same labeled box as from Ted Pella, so I'd say you're pretty safe.

In both cases, the manufacturer would appear to be ASR.

- Chris

I can't find it right now, but another member bought these and found that they came in the same labeled box as from Ted Pella, so I'd say you're pretty safe.

- Chris

+1. All indications point to these being the same as the Ted Pella blades, at a much better price.

These are the same blades sold at Home Depot for utility knives. The are made by ASRCO. They probably can be used for shaving but are not stainless or coated.

Has anyone tried these blades sold on Amazon? They are made by American Safety Razor and PTFE coated. How do they compare to the blades sold by Ted Pella? I bought a GEM Junior on ebay for the sum of $1.00 plus $4.95 shipping. I'm awaiting delivery.

The amazon blades are $6.75 including shipping (with Amazon Prime), which seems like a good way for me to make my start in the SE world. They are $18.95 including shipping for 100. think about buying 25 to start, to see how I like them. I don't want the make the 200 blade commitment from Ted Pella until I know I like my SE. Once I decide I like my SE, I'll be looking for the best blade, not the best bargain.

Description on Amazon:
Product Features

• PTFE Coated Industrial Quality Blades for Critical Cuts
  • Stainless Steel .009 Inch Blades
  • Aluminum Backing
  • Individually Packaged
  • Wrapped in Protective Paper for Safe Handling

I just got in 100 of these from Amazon. They are excellent blades. I also have used Ted Pellas, GEM and EMS blades, so have a good basis for comparison. I've used these Amazon blades in an open comb Micromatic and in an Ever-Ready 1912 and got very good shaves in both.

Buy with confidence.

jim

These are the same blades sold at Home Depot for utility knives. The are made by ASRCO. They probably can be used for shaving but are not stainless or coated.

?

According to the description from Amazon, they are stainless and coated.

Last edited:
+1. All indications point to these being the same as the Ted Pella blades, at a much better price.

I just got in 100 of these from Amazon. They are excellent blades. I also have used Ted Pellas, GEM and EMS blades, so have a good basis for comparison. I've used these Amazon blades in an open comb Micromatic and in an Ever-Ready 1912 and got very good shaves in both.

Buy with confidence.

jim

- Chris

Thanks, I'm going to give them a try this Saturday with my inaugural SE shave.

All I can say is good luck. American Line is ASRCO brand for tools. Most of their products can be found in the paint dept of Home Depot. These are not the same blades sold as coated stainless by Ted Peller.

All I can say is good luck. American Line is ASRCO brand for tools. Most of their products can be found in the paint dept of Home Depot. These are not the same blades sold as coated stainless by Ted Peller.

This is what Home Depot sells:

proxy.php

# Precision Made Of High Carbon Knife Steel
# Can Be Used In All Standard Single Edge Tools.
# Heavy Gauge Steel .025 In. For Rugged Use
# Each Blade Protected With Shelling Paper
# Made In USA

Clearly a different product the the one in the OP. Someone has already ordered the blades in the OP and said that the packaging was the same as the Pella blades.

This is what Home Depot sells:

proxy.php

# Precision Made Of High Carbon Knife Steel
# Can Be Used In All Standard Single Edge Tools.
# Heavy Gauge Steel .025 In. For Rugged Use
# Each Blade Protected With Shelling Paper
# Made In USA

You can get something similar from Amazon (and I have):

proxy.php

but as I said before, the American Line PTFE coated stainless are good.

- Chris

These are not the same blades sold as coated stainless by Ted Peller.

I have both and though I don't have a microscope, under low magnification I cannot tell the difference. Both have GEM stamped on the spine. I'll send you a couple to try out if you'd like.

These are not the same blades sold as coated stainless by Ted Peller.

That is contrary to what several people have stated here in the recent past. If memory serves, at least one of these people claim to have purchased the blades from both sources.

Thanks all, for the info on these blades. I too just purchased my first SE, a GEM G-Bar, and want to start out with a modest number of good-quality blades. I've just put in an order for the 25-pack at Amazon.
:thumbup1:

Thanks all, for the info on these blades. I too just purchased my first SE, a GEM G-Bar, and want to start out with a modest number of good-quality blades. I've just put in an order for the 25-pack at Amazon.
:thumbup1:

I'm using them right now, and they seem like good blades to me.

R

rainman

I'm returning some today. I had one completely rust after the first shave. They say GEM and stainless. I just assume that they are not coated. They are described as coated in description.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm returning some today. I had one completely rust after the first shave. They say GEM and stainless. I just assume that they are not coated. They are described as coated in description.

That stinks. I have not had any problem with rusting on the Amazon blades I received. Sorry you had a negative experience with them.

R

rainman

Update: I still believe these are Pella grade. The actual cutting edge has no rust. Maybe the coating doesn't carry up the blade and the hard water in my area is a factor. I'll post updates on the blades.

I've never had this problem with GEM, Pella, EMS or the Amazon blades. I keep the blade in the razor for a couple of weeks as it's usually part of a six or seven razor rotation. The water from our well is quite soft; maybe that is a factor.

Top Bottom