What's new

Caffeine Clips: Show off your tea/coffee acquisitions ~ December 2009

Haven't posted in the Cafe for a while, but happened to have some tea/coffee goodies arrive.

The first is a Kyocera manual coffee mill:

View attachment 77168

These sell for about $75 - $80 plus shipping stateside, but I got this one for about $45 all in courtesy of a friend who sent me one from Japan.

This is a small compact grinder with an adjustable ceramic grinding mechanism (which means it can be washed). While a little on the small side in terms of bean capacity (a full hopper of beans yields about 4 -5 of the small plastic coffee measuring scoops full of grounds at a medium-fine setting).

I spent about 15 minutes or so playing with this thing and found that the mechanism was much easier to adjust to my liking than my Zass Limu (the adjustment for which I find fiddly) and is better at coarser grounds due to the presence of a spring that reduces burr float at coarser grinds - which results in more consistent grinds. My initial testing indicates that this can handle anything from a Turkish to a French press grind with ease. Because of the way the adjustment works (via a nut on the bottom of the grinding mechanism) I also think it is less pone to shifting than the Zass mechanisms. To add insult to injury, the Kyocera both requires less effort and is slightly quicker than my Zass.

In short, after some initial grinding, I am very pleased with this addition to the collection and will likely make this my daily grinder - even thought I will have to reload the hopper to grind enough coffee for the 8 cups or so I make every morning. I suspect that I may seek out a Hario Skerton as well for comparison purposes and because I think the bean capacity is larger.

If you are in the market for a nice, compact (the handle isn't attached, so this thing is easy to transport) grinder for home, office or travel, the Kyocera would fit the bill.

My second acquisition is actually a replacement - its one of those glass mugs with a removable glass strainer and lid - I use it primarily for pu erh teas at work - I know its not traditional, but it works great and is very practical as the lid doubles as a saucer for the glass strainer.

View attachment 77171

These sell for between $10 and $15 and are pretty common at tea shops and can be found in some Asian markets for even less - so not a big deal if you break it.

In addition to the practicality, it allows me a lot of control over brew time as the basket drains quickly. I also like the fact that this is all glass, as I don't like using plastic or metal utensils for brewing tea.

For me, this and my thermal carafe to hold a few cups worth of hot water is the ideal office pu erh set up.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
That grinder looks cool. Kyocera (Kyoto Ceramics) is an amazing company. I'm interested in hearing your long term opinion of it.

ouch

They make everything from earth moving equipment to vegetable peelers.

ouch

Nice thimble! :001_tt2:

Sorry, I'd get carpal tunnel syndrome having to refill those teeny cups nonstop. :wink2:

they do look great, though.

Somewhat embarrassingly, It doesn't take much to make me happy. The source of my happiness today is some new tea wares. Two different sets of 40 ml. porcelain teacups and a boxed set of 100 ml. celadon teacups from the Ru Kiln.

Someone has been shopping at Andao Tea recently? I have the cup in the second picture. Lewis from the Multiple Infusions blog refers to it as his Hello Kitty cup :biggrin: ! All and all good stuff. The Ru Kiln offerings at Andao and DTH are good! Enjoy the teaware!

Someone has been shopping at Andao Tea recently? I have the cup in the second picture. Lewis from the Multiple Infusions blog refers to it as his Hello Kitty cup :biggrin: ! All and all good stuff. The Ru Kiln offerings at Andao and DTH are good! Enjoy the teaware!

Yeah I have. First time buying from them, the prices are pretty cheap for pretty good quality porcelain. I think, $2.00 per cup? Something like that anyways. I dont always use the thimble sized cups (hence the 100 ml. celadon) but their O.K. for when I,m feeling fancy. I also appreciate that Andao charges the actual shipping fee ($3.50) instead of the typical $10.00 or $15.00 that most companys charge.

Last edited:
a few things from jas-e tea

08 Xiaguan FT Mushroom Tuo
06 Menghai V93
08 Xiaguan FT Happy Tuo x2
Bamboo Tray

Im waiting on a few more things, Ill have to post them once they get here.

ouch

Ambrose, as one who has got it pretty bad regarding this pu'er thing, all I can say is..........

You've got it pretty bad. :thumbup:

Ambrose, as one who has got it pretty bad regarding this pu'er thing, all I can say is..........

You've got it pretty bad. :thumbup:

Oh man it must be bad if youre saying it, now its official :blink: Ive been in denial with SWMBO.

goober,

The cups are my new favorite, Ive been using the one in ivory and green oribe for my sheng.

They are a great size at 4oz to hold all my tea from one infusion with a bit of room. They are wide enough to let the tea cool off nicely. They also are very solid and the glaze is just amazing as well as the price $12. I got them from george town pottery when I got my custom brush scuttle made. LINK

I have some more beautiful cups coming in any day now from jingteashop. Ill post them as soon as they are here. :biggrin1:

Were are you guys this bad at first does it get any better or only worse. :laugh:

Top Bottom