What's new

Shaving with a Goodfella

I recently traded for a Goodfella and today I gave it a go.
First off while the handle is a stunning example of modern design, it only has 1 gripping surface so it had to go.
The Goodfella Head use the Metric M5 X 0.8 threads which have the same thread pitch as a #10-32 but are slightly larger.
No problem, get out the M5 tap and retap my BM handle, the Goodfella now fits perfectly and a Gillette head will still screw onto the handle.
The Goodfella has a reputation as a mild shaver so there's only 1 blade to use, a feather.
Loading the blade I have 2 observations on this razor head.
1 it's looks very flat, I haven't measured it yet but it looks like the arch of the blade is less then a Gillette Old Type.
2 the tines on the comb are quite broad, they look to be as large as the space in between them, on Gillette opened combs the gap is over twice as wide as the tines.
The shave, well the wide tine cause a stripping effect when you shave and the flat blade arch requires a higher blade angle.
I got a good close shave but it required more work then with a NEW.
I plan on sending my observations to Goodfella, I thinks they kind of missed the boat they should have patterned their razor after the NEW instead of the Old Type.
But if you have a Goodfella using a Feather and installing the head on a heavier handle is an improvement.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Interesting findings Bob! Thanks for sharing.

I know you don't have a lot of shaves with that razor so far but how do you compare it to other razors you tried?

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Thanks Bob, I have a Goodfella and didn't care for it just because of those reasons. I may give it another go.

I find the Goodfellat will shave closer without drawing blood than any other razor I have owned, which have been quite an assortment. Its teeth are extremely protective, so you can safely hold the blade at an extraordinarily acute angle to your skin and safely draw the head across your face at a significant angle relative to its direction of travel.

I've used a Single-ring for the last 2 days. After seeing Rockytop's up for sale I dug mine out and I have to say I really like it. I've never used a New, tho I plan to gert one at some point, but for me the S/R is extremely effective, with no striping and is very well balanced.

I recently traded for a Goodfella and today I gave it a go.
First off while the handle is a stunning example of modern design, it only has 1 gripping surface so it had to go.
The Goodfella Head use the Metric M5 X 0.8 threads which have the same thread pitch as a #10-32 but are slightly larger.
No problem, get out the M5 tap and retap my BM handle, the Goodfella now fits perfectly and a Gillette head will still screw onto the handle.
The Goodfella has a reputation as a mild shaver so there's only 1 blade to use, a feather.
Loading the blade I have 2 observations on this razor head.
1 it's looks very flat, I haven't measured it yet but it looks like the arch of the blade is less then a Gillette Old Type.
2 the tines on the comb are quite broad, they look to be as large as the space in between them, on Gillette opened combs the gap is over twice as wide as the tines.
The shave, well the wide tine cause a stripping effect when you shave and the flat blade arch requires a higher blade angle.
I got a good close shave but it required more work then with a NEW.
I plan on sending my observations to Goodfella, I thinks they kind of missed the boat they should have patterned their razor after the NEW instead of the Old Type.
But if you have a Goodfella using a Feather and installing the head on a heavier handle is an improvement.

+1 on your observations Bob. I have the same experience with the goodfella and have now married the feather and this goodfella - but yes the marriage does require more work for smooth results :)

I use an Old Type head everyday and get fantastic results. My blade rest's directly on the combs also. I thought that was normal. Either way I get really smooth shaves from it.

R

rainman

I never went for one because I think the price is too high, and they have the reputation of being too mild. I also don't care for the design.

Bob, maybe they can't even make a NEW style head. I'm sure it is easier to make the current version.

I use an Old Type head everyday and get fantastic results. My blade rest's directly on the combs also. I thought that was normal. Either way I get really smooth shaves from it.

Sorry guys I posted the above on the wrong thread.

Bob, do you have the Satin Black head or the chrome?

I never went for one because I think the price is too high, and they have the reputation of being too mild. I also don't care for the design.

Bob, maybe they can't even make a NEW style head. I'm sure it is easier to make the current version.

If your using modern technology like they claim, you can make anything.
Of course a NEW Style head is going to be more difficult and costly to produce then the Old Type.
Maybe that's why nobody's produced a NEW copy.

I will be right up front here. Today I returned a Goodfella in chrome. I took it out of the box and knew instantly it was going back. It literally could have came out of a cracker jack box. Maybe the black satin hides the imperfections better but they were very apparent with the chrome model (mostly under the head). The light weight of the razor was a complete turn off for me. I didn't attempt to use it so I don't have an opinion on it's performance. I will be ordering a Muhle R41 (2009 version) and eventually get another handle from Cooncatbob to add weight.

This is good to hear these findings I too have been wanting to purchase a Goodfella. At the price, I cannot make myself do it. Was thinking about it being my Christmas gift from the lady (she asked what I wanted)...

However, now...and even before now, I have changed my mind. It's just not a lot of good press about them.

I would, however, still love to try one. But, I don't want to pay such a high price to not like it.

The Satin Black is one sexy looking razor though. I wonder if a Goodfella head will screw into my EJ DE89L handle.

Yes, they both use the Metric M5 X 0.8 thread which is slightly larger then the #10-32 which is on old Gillettes.
A Gillette head will screw onto a Metric handle but a Metric head might be too large to screw onto a Gillette handle, I say might because the difference is only about 0.010 of an inch and many old Gillette handles are worn oversize.

Top Bottom