What's new

Were there 2 versions of the British #15 Open Comb

I have had several #15s and just now noticed a variation on the patent number and barrel engraving. The patent number under the head on the razor pictured on the left says "430030" and the one on the right says "400621". And the one with the number ending in 621 has a patent number on the handle (430030) and the Gillette logo on the lower end of the handle.

The razors otherwise seem identical. Is there some obvious explanation for this variation?

Thanks.

A friend at the Den recently pointed out that there were two different types of bars that hold the blades in too, one with and one without wings at the end of the bar. Are the two you have pictured the same inside the head?

I didn't include any photos of inside the heads since they are identical. No markings and no differences that are visible.

Interesting. I wonder how many different versions there actually are then...

These are Pureslab's pictures:
with wings:
proxy.php

without:
proxy.php

Thanks. I had seen those photos and wondered if Greg had checked the patent numbers as well.

So there were apparently 3 variations of this British Open Comb Aristocrat -- strange. At the price these were selling for in 1938, it is odd that there would have been so many versions. Wonder if they were marketed differently or just used some versions of the base razor -- rhodium plating old stock.

I have two #15 sets with patent numbers like yours, but the one with 400,621 on the bottom and 430,030 on the top band was a French market set. And rather than the Gillette diamond logo on the bottom band, it says "Importe D'Angleterre".

And both have the "wings" on the center bar.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Nope -- unfortunately I haven't found any British- made razors in Boston -- yet. Will keep looking though...

Don't forget the silver plated versions. I believe they were the French market ones (or at least some of the French ones) but I'm not sure.

Jake, I´ve no answer but more confusion. I´ve 6 different razors. The difference are:

- Pat. Number 400,621 or 430,030 under the head
- with or without Pat. number on the handle
- with or without Gillette Logo on the handle
- small or wide band without Pat. number on the handle under the head
- with or without wings inside the head
- silver or rhodium plated
- different attachment of the middle bridge inside the head

Have fun with the pictures :wink:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Too cool... Or should I say: remarkable! Thanks Achim. I really appreciate the clarification. What were they thinking? Any other Brits that had such variations?

Top Bottom