What's new

Is this double ring a double ring?

Double rings were introduced in mid April of 1906. The Diamond and Arrow logo was introduced in 1908 but it wasn't stamped on razors until around late 1914.

I'm sure you meant Single Ring for the 1906 introduction. The only reference to the introduction of the Single Ring I have is from Phillip Krumholz who places the date "About June of 1906..."

As for the diamond trademark I posted a pic of the rare ABC pocket razor with the diamond and arrow trademark impressed in the cap of the razor. The razor was made in 1909 ser# A882458. You can see the razor and ser# on Mr. Razor's site.
I don't know when the SR's were stamped because even though I have five of them they jump from 1906 with no diamond to 1915 with a diamond.

Len

Single Rings were introduced in June of 1906. There were no Gillette markings on the DR or SR razors until 1908 when the Diamond and Arrow trademark was implemented.

Len

Ok--I think I know the answer to this question now, but I am going to ask anyway---

I have a Single Ring that has no stampings, no ser.# on the inner barrel, no manufacturing markings on any kind---(does have the Pat. Nov. 15, 04)
Can I assume this is a 1908 or earlier razor? I've been wondering how old this thing is since I found it in an antique store a while back??

I have heard that Single Rings were in production up to 1921..Is this correct?

thanks in advance,

Marty E.

I have a Single Ring that has no stampings, no ser.# on the inner barrel, no manufacturing markings on any kind---(does have the Pat. Nov. 15, 04)
Can I assume this is a 1908 or earlier razor? I've been wondering how old this thing is since I found it in an antique store a while back??

I have heard that Single Rings were in production up to 1921..Is this correct?

thanks in advance,

Marty E.

All Single Rings should have a ser# if produced between 1906 and 1921, the early ones on the tube and later on the blade guard. I suppose it's possible that it was made in 1922 after the ser #'s were dropped. I'm sure somebody has better info than that. I just found a 1921 single Ring with the '04 paten # on the handle and a P ser# on the guard. It's still in the old leather covered wooden box but it has the "Old Type" inscription on the inside velvet lining. Does yours have a case?

Len

All Single Rings should have a ser# if produced between 1906 and 1921, the early ones on the tube and later on the blade guard. I suppose it's possible that it was made in 1922 after the ser #'s were dropped. I'm sure somebody has better info than that. I just found a 1921 single Ring with the '04 paten # on the handle and a P ser# on the guard. It's still in the old leather covered wooden box but it has the "Old Type" inscription on the inside velvet lining. Does yours have a case?

Len

Len-

Thanks for your quick reply! No, unfortunately mine did not have a case-it had been languishing for God knows how long in a very dusty glass case in the antique shop. I found it by accident--it was almost hidden from view by a bunch of knick-knacks and junk.

Well, I guess it might be impossible to accurately date this thing--I was kinda hoping it be a really early one. There's something about owning and using something that's over a hundred yrs. old thats neat. Great thing is, it's in really nice condition other than a bit of tarnish. No dings, bent teeth, I'm pleased to own it.

I guess I'll try to hunt down a case someday for this thing but I'd probably have an easier time getting a glass of ice water in Death Valley!!!!

all the best,

Marty E.

Len-...........
I guess I'll try to hunt down a case someday for this thing but I'd probably have an easier time getting a glass of ice water in Death Valley!!!!

all the best,

Marty E.

Marty,

Don't give up on finding a case and your razor might be a rare one. I have never seen or heard about a no ser# Single Ring but I think it's possible.

I bought a very nice Single Ring from one of the members here. It didn't have a case either. After sitting without a home for over a month, a case only showed up on ebay. The outside didn't look that great but the inside was nice. I picked it up for $ .99 and display it with the case open.

Good Luck,
Len

The Double Ring pictured here is a 1904 "PAT APL'D FOR" model that I used to own. Now a friend here from B&B is giving it a good home. The first Double Rings appeared in extremely limited edition in 1903.

proxy.php

I'm sorry, I meant to say that single rings were introduced in April 1906.

I'm sure you meant Single Ring for the 1906 introduction. The only reference to the introduction of the Single Ring I have is from Phillip Krumholz who places the date "About June of 1906..."

As for the diamond trademark I posted a pic of the rare ABC pocket razor with the diamond and arrow trademark impressed in the cap of the razor. The razor was made in 1909 ser# A882458. You can see the razor and ser# on Mr. Razor's site.
I don't know when the SR's were stamped because even though I have five of them they jump from 1906 with no diamond to 1915 with a diamond.

Len

The 1909 ABC with the diamond arrow on the top cap is particularly special. It was likely a promotional piece. Every other SR and ABC razor I have seen before late 1914 does not have a the diamond and arrow logo stamp.

The 1909 ABC with the diamond arrow on the top cap is particularly special. It was likely a promotional piece. Every other SR and ABC razor I have seen before late 1914 does not have a the diamond and arrow logo stamp.

From what I have and from what I've been able to find, you're absolutely correct. I'm really glad you cleared that up because the question comes up all the time.

I have nine ABC razors that date from 1909 and 1911. With the exception of the Diamond cap, none have any logo. When did ABC stop making the fancy razors? The later sets I have only have the common handle Gillette Old Type razors.

Len

From what I have and from what I've been able to find, you're absolutely correct. I'm really glad you cleared that up because the question comes up all the time.

I have nine ABC razors that date from 1909 and 1911. With the exception of the Diamond cap, none have any logo. When did ABC stop making the fancy razors? The later sets I have only have the common handle Gillette Old Type razors.

Len

I am not entirely sure when ABC stopped making the handles. I would presume it was when Gillette came out with the ball ended old type. I have seen a ball ended old type with a date code as early as C605145 (early 1915). I likely wasn't a drastic switch in products: more of a phase in/phase out type of deal. I think I have seen ABC handles from the later teens but I am not sure.

I'm glad this one has turned out to be a legit double ring. I'm surprised I even made it to this razor, usually I'm the one who gets thinks he's got it, but then it gets snapped up

Top Bottom