What's new

OMG I am happy

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I have been wetshaving with a Merkur 38c for a few weeks now. I was content, but always felt I could use a little more. After consulting extensively with the B&B community, I settled on a Gillette SS without a date label.

So much joy! I was too excited and got in the shower tonight just to try it out. It is somehow seems simultaneously more and less aggressive than a 38c. I can feel the hairs come off more, but it seems like a safer shave - maybe because of the smaller size.

It's incredible because, unlike the Merkur, I can make multiple runs on my face and still have some lubrication. This is without a doubt one of the best finds of my life.

Thanks to everybody who so gladly gave out advice! My only question now is what kind of Gillette to get next... I'm thinking a red tip...

Glad you are mildly pleased with the 40's SS.

Be careful with the Red Tip: You are likely to be so significantly pleased with it that you might post in all caps for a week.

:biggrin: Congrats on finding a vintage razor that works for you!

That sounds like my experience. I started out on a 34C and picked up a '54 Flare Tip a little over a week ago. It came last Friday, and just holding it, it felt right. I first shaved with it on Monday, promptly fell in love with it, and shelved the Merkur.

It's so good I'm not sure there's going to be a next razor for me! :w00t:

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Thanks all for your kind words. Yes, I am relathering between shaves, and yes, I am thinking of buying another one of these just in case my first one (Heaven forbid) breaks.

Why why why would Gillette stop making a product of this quality??:w00t:

Same reason any given appliance manufacturer stopped making their goods with any sense of quality.

Fortunately, unlike appliances, these things are simple enough that, assuming you take good care of them, they'll never die!

Last edited:
Thanks all for your kind words. Yes, I am relathering between shaves, and yes, I am thinking of buying another one of these just in case my first one (Heaven forbid) breaks.

They stop making them so you'll start buying cartridges. I personally avoid buying new Gillette stuff whenever I can (creams, AS, cartridges, etc..). Luckily there are choices out there...

I do shave cartridge about 2-3 times a week (Sometimes I like sleep better than a BBS shave), and I do my best to never buy Gillette.

With that said... the Gillette Fusion with the 49er logo was on sale for $5 this week at Wal-mart... Couldn't...resist...urge...to...buy...

So now I have my Sunday razor for the winter. :)

Yep, we used to make some good stuff, sorry to say that has all passed but there was a golden age of American manufacturing and it is ours to enjoy now. Go get yourself a fatboy, it's nirvana

Top Bottom