What's new

What's Brewing? - September/October

Started off this month with The Drowsy Poet Sumatran beans. These were roasted on 8/25. Very nice medium bodied coffee.

The Drowsy Poet is a coffee house/roaster here in Pensacola.

I had some Ethiopia Idido Misty Valley this morning - 2008 crop that I had vacuum sealed. Very delicious and fruity.

Im all tea now!! Im awaiting a nice order from Steve netsurfr.

In the mean while I am drinking some black chai this morning.

Started off this month with The Drowsy Poet Sumatran beans. These were roasted on 8/25. Very nice medium bodied coffee.

The Drowsy Poet is a coffee house/roaster here in Pensacola.

I thought that Sumatra coffee was synonymous with full bodied, like, as full bodied as coffee is capable of being? I worked for Starbucks ( I know, I know ) for ten years and that was a carved in stone description that we were all required to memorize.

I thought that Sumatra coffee was synonymous with full bodied, like, as full bodied as coffee is capable of being? I worked for Starbucks ( I know, I know ) for ten years and that was a carved in stone description that we were all required to memorize.

There are few absolutes; most folks roast Sumatra to quite a dark level. At that roast, it is indeed earthy, foresty, low-acid, and perhaps "full bodied". Honestly, there are a lot of nasty Sumatras out there, and a dark roast is about the only saving grace.

That being said, really high-quality Sumatra lots don't need such a dark roast. In fact, at a lighter roast they are plummy, snappy, and delicious. It is very rare to find one roasted like this unless you do it yourself, though.

Just ordered a couple of the yushangs from puer shop. Never bought anything from puer shop before and have some reservations about it, having read some not so positive things about them. But if they turn out to be o.k. then I,ll order a couple more. When I get these I plan on doing a side by side tasting w/pics to demonstrate the differences.

I had some Ethiopia Idido Misty Valley this morning - 2008 crop that I had vacuum sealed. Very delicious and fruity.

:drool: That's just evil now that Counter Culture has proclaimed that we might have seen the last of their IMV...(a personal favorite of this coffee neophyte):frown:

I've recently moved, so I'm giving the local roaster an audition: Mill Mountain Celebes Kalossi, roasted this morning. I'm cautiously optimistic. :smile:

There are few absolutes; most folks roast Sumatra to quite a dark level. At that roast, it is indeed earthy, foresty, low-acid, and perhaps "full bodied". Honestly, there are a lot of nasty Sumatras out there, and a dark roast is about the only saving grace.

That being said, really high-quality Sumatra lots don't need such a dark roast. In fact, at a lighter roast they are plummy, snappy, and delicious. It is very rare to find one roasted like this unless you do it yourself, though.

Speak of the devil!
It's Sumatember at Chez Roget.

Five fine Sweet Maria's Sumatrans are in rotation: Takengon, Sidikalang, Onan Ganjang, Lintong, and Lampahan-Bonkawan. They're all super heavy-bodied, and low acid. Except when they're not.

Roger

Counter Culture Coffee-Idido misty Valley

Just finished the last bag of this wonderful coffee and from what Ive read it may not be back for quite some time because of the new Ethiopian coffee Exchange. Does anyone have any info about how this will effect the Ethiopian coffee lover here in the US?? And does anyone know of any roasters that aren't sold out of the Idido Misty Valley, or maybe you can recommend a similar dry process Ethiopian that I might like and isnt as expensive as some of the Beloya and Aricha lots, I found one called Amaro gayo sun dreid from Novo coffee anyone tried this coffee?? Thanks

Last edited:
This morning, and all to today it was Gunpower Green powering me across Pennsylvania on a road trip to the East coast.

I have about 1 days worth of Ethiopia wet-process Bonko roasted. Need to roast some more tonight in the trusty Behmor.

Conicidentally, I had a double espresso macchiato: IMV (from Brown Coffee Co. in San Antonio) - very delicious.

Also drinking Summer Espresso 2009 from the same roaster. (they gifted us a year-long coffee subscription.. nice folks!)

This morning was a cup of Brazil Cachoeira Yellow Canario Bourbon which I roasted last night to C+. Nice, smooth cup.

Ben

Counter Culture Coffee-Idido misty Valley

Just finished the last bag of this wonderful coffee and from what Ive read it may not be back for quite some time because of the new Ethiopian coffee Exchange. Does anyone have any info about how this will effect the Ethiopian coffee lover here in the US?? And does anyone know of any roasters that aren't sold out of the Idido Misty Valley, or maybe you can recommend a similar dry process Ethiopian that I might like and isnt as expensive as some of the Beloya and Aricha lots, I found one called Amaro gayo sun dreid from Novo coffee anyone tried this coffee?? Thanks

http://browncoffeeco.com isn't out yet, last I saw.

This

proxy.php

Finca La Ilusion (#1 CoE El Salvador 2008. This is the 09 crop.)

The title is "no pun intended."

Happy National Day of Coffee!

Sumatra Tangse Rhino, roasted in my new Hottop with new thermoprobe installed. Butterscotch goodness.

Top Bottom