What's new

Last night's "Modern Marvels"

Did anyone else catch this show last evening? The topic was "sharp tools" and a whole section was devoted to razors. They showed a barber hone, strop, and use a straight razor. Also, the process of making disposable razors (think it was Schick) was shown. They discussed sharpness, showed microscopic views of edges, etc.

Thought it was neat that they took what appeared to be pretty much a DE blade and split it in half to make the cartridge razor. Also spent the rest of the episode figuring out how well a ceramic blade would shave, or a plasma razor!

I thought it was interesting to see the range of products claiming to be "the world's sharpest". I had never heard of "Cutco" knives, and would never consider a mass-produced, stamped, and machine-honed kitchen knife to even be in the running for "sharpest".
I also wondered about the barber, who appeared to put his razor to the hone and strop prior to use. It gave the impression that he used his hone all the time, something I cannot imagine doing. I also don't know of barbers that use a straight razor since the AIDS days (sorry). My barber told me that, in the rare case of someone asking for a shave, he must use a disposable blade.

Thanks for the heads up on the show. I was utterly skeptical re Cutco knives but they do stay amazingly sharp and are in every respect durable.

I also don't know of barbers that use a straight razor since the AIDS days (sorry).
Any barber that I've been to in my lifetime (I've only been alive in the "AIDS days") has used a straight razor on me. Be it my regular barber where I grew up, my barber when I was at college, and my current barber here in Cleveland, they've all used a straight razor. Granted, this is only for shaving my neck and around ears, sideburns, etc., but they don't use a disposable.

Thought it was neat that they took what appeared to be pretty much a DE blade and split it in half to make the cartridge razor. Also spent the rest of the episode figuring out how well a ceramic blade would shave, or a plasma razor!
+1 A plasma razor would be so cool. :w00t:

Top Bottom