What's new

gem micromatic woes

Any advice for shaving with one of these?

I tried it out and had to pick up one of my new fatboys instead (tried that for the first time, very nice shave).

Problem with the micromatic is, when the blade angle feels right, the large flat surface of the head is right on my face creating an incredible drag almost like suction.

The blades used can make a huge difference. The better blades are Ted Pella and the Gem blades at Walgreens. There are a couple of vendors and a few people on the buy/sell/trade selling the Ted Pellas in 5-10 blade packs for a nominal amount. They are cheaper than the Walgreen's blades and a bit better. I can't recommend any others at this time. Hope this is of help.

Any advice for shaving with one of these?

I tried it out and had to pick up one of my new fatboys instead (tried that for
Problem with the micromatic is, when the blade angle feels right, the large flat surface of the head is right on my face creating an incredible drag almost like suction.

You can try lifting the head ever so slightly so that the flat part in not on your face. Many people use it that way.

But my experience points towards the need for a very lubricating lather that does not completely wipe away when the razor passes over the beard.

In spite of Gem's instructions, most of us end up angling the head at least 10 degrees off of the face while shaving with no ill effects. It should be said that you'll want to use little or no pressure at that angle but your dragging situation will be gone.

- Chris

In spite of Gem's instructions, most of us end up angling the head at least 10 degrees off of the face while shaving with no ill effects. It should be said that you'll want to use little or no pressure at that angle but your dragging situation will be gone.

- Chris

Agreed, this is how I shave with a SE too. It just feels more comfortable to not have the head of the razor flush on my face.

I think (even more so than with a DE) it very important to emphasize, don't use any pressure with a Gem SE! The blade is inflexible, much like a straight razor, hence: pressure = nicks, and cuts.

This is from a post on here a while ago. Forgot who did it. I use an angle somewhat like the diagram and it works fine. Doesn't require a lot of pressure.

This is from a post on here a while ago. Forgot who did it. I use an angle somewhat like the diagram and it works fine. Doesn't require a lot of pressure.

That's an interesting instruction sheet!!

Quite obviously, #1 looks downright painful. But #2 is what I thought I saw recommended on other Gem instruction sheets: the head should be nearly flat on the face. Experience has shown that optimal shaving is achieved with the head angled slightly off of the face.

heres a MM one. note how it says CLOSE to the face :wink:

proxy.php

Well thanks guys!
Just tried it a second time, and that was one DFS. Problem was the angle. It didn't take long to get comfortable with it, probably a little too comfortable because I nicked myself once on the neck. If it weren't for my chin, which is always a problem area, and the aforementioned scab, it would almost be BBS.

Top Bottom