What's new

Tabac and skin irritation ??

Anyone else out there find that their skin has an adverse reaction to Tabac?

Used it for the first time this afternoon (slept in :wink:), and my cheeks have been kind of sensitive/itchy the rest of the day.

- Richard

I am surprised but everyone is different and I have learned that I am allergic to the strangest things. I am allergic to MWF! My face would turn really red and it was not working for me. Tabac is a good soap and I have no troubles with it.

Take care,
Richard Adams

Yep. Shaved with Tabac yesterday and while it gave me a nice, smooth shave it also irritated the hell out of the area on the right side of my mouth/chin. Exactly the same as what you report...redness and itchy. But some Speick AS followed by CADE balm took care of it after a few hours.

I've never had any issues with Tabac. I've tried quite a few soaps/creams and the only ones that irritated my skin were Floris JF soap and QED bathtub gin.

. . . and my cheeks have been kind of sensitive/itchy the rest of the day.

- Richard

+1 on that. I've been using a sample of Tabac and have gotten some smooth shaves, but I get some itchiness in spots on my face also. I'm glad that I didn't buy the regular size. I hope that I don't have the same problem with the Irish Moos shave stick that I ordered.

J

Jarmo P

I rather think Rich that you did not have enough soap and your lather was not protective enough. Of course you may be one of the very few people that are allergic to the soap too. :001_rolle

Richard,

After your face has healed, lather the Tabac on your face and wait five to ten minutes without shaving. Rinse off the soap well and wait anywhere from ten minutes to maybe three hours. If you have irritation without shaving, you can suspect the soap, otherwise, it might be too thin a lather like Jarmo suggests or your razor technique. I have had allergic skin reactions to a number of products but not Tabac at all. Good luck.

JimT

But my razor technique doesn't change when I use Speick, Musgo Real, and Taylor's creams, and with all of those I get irritation-free shaves. The only times I have gotten irritation since I started using a brush and real cream/soap has been while trying out a sample of Ogallala Bay Rum soap and Tabac.

I hope this doesn't mean I'm sensitive to soaps, because I've got some Mama Bear's Old Spice-type on the way.

You could also do a skin test on your wrist -- test lather your wrist, and leave it on there for awhile and see if you get red bumps. If you want to be scientific, lather the other wrist with a soap you know does not cause irritation.

I wouldn't want to mess with skin tests on my face, but as another fellow mentioned tabac is heavily scented, you could well be getting irritation.

Best of luck.

J

But my razor technique doesn't change when I use Speick, Musgo Real, and Taylor's creams, and with all of those I get irritation-free shaves. The only times I have gotten irritation since I started using a brush and real cream/soap has been while trying out a sample of Ogallala Bay Rum soap and Tabac.

I hope this doesn't mean I'm sensitive to soaps, because I've got some Mama Bear's Old Spice-type on the way.

Not all lathers protect the same way. Perform the skin irritation test without shaving. It will tell you whether or not you have an allergy or you need to alter your technique a bit for soaps.

I put 2 & 2 together, and now suspect that the reason that I don't care for Tabac's smell is that I encountered one of the components as a child, and it wasn't happy.

Listen to your nose.

Puck sold.

Richard, my experience with Tabac was the same as yours. I tried it for several days with the same results - felt like a dose of poison ivy on my face.

I find its odor noxious as well.

Regards,

Anyone else out there find that their skin has an adverse reaction to Tabac?

Used it for the first time this afternoon (slept in :wink:), and my cheeks have been kind of sensitive/itchy the rest of the day.

- Richard

Not at all. In fact, Tabac is my favorite shaving soap.

Top Bottom