What's new

Anyone tried the new Muhle R89 ?

i was just wondering if anyone ordered the new muhle R89,
if its HD or Parker headed, im really tempted to order one since my 34g has shown some flaking in the gold coating,

but still, it is good ?

Don't tempt me to buy another razor to try this out... I like R89 very much, but I have to wait till 2009 for buying one... I've spent all my budget for 2008!:biggrin:

In this thread I've read that Ateace bought one. Maybe he may know something more about it! :tongue_sm

Well, I couldn't wait and ended up ordering what I thought was a new R89(meant to say new R41). The site had the picture and the price to go with it (zamberg out of florida). Although good customer service, prompt email exchanges and dealings with, they need to get educated on their products and nomenclature.
They sent me an old R41, when I complained about the discrepancy they told me initially they did not accept returns on 'straight razors' and how did I know it was a different razor.
To their credit, all it took was one email with pictures, links and good explanation for them to agree on an exchange. They never answered the question whether they had the one pictured on their site, so I just opted for a refund (full by the way).

In any case, I'm also waiting for someone to post a review of one.

I have one and love it. I've been shaving with it for a few weeks now and reach for it over my fat boy and progress 9/10 times. Matched with a swede it gives me the closest and most comfortable shaves to date.

It cuts easy with good weight, and the handle is perfect for a wet grip. As always, faces are different and YMMV.

BTW - I could only find it available on the MÜHLE site and shipping to the US was about $20 and delivered in just under 2 weeks. My RAD was at a record high on that one! :w00t:

Dave

I have one and love it. I've been shaving with it for a few weeks now and reach for it over my fat boy and progress 9/10 times. Matched with a swede it gives me the closest and most comfortable shaves to date.

It cuts easy with good weight, and the handle is perfect for a wet grip. As always, faces are different and YMMV.

BTW - I could only find it available on the MÜHLE site and shipping to the US was about $20 and delivered in just under 2 weeks. My RAD was at a record high on that one! :w00t:

Dave

Dave, how is the finishing on this razor?

Dave

This looks like a rebranded Muhle from EJ and a Canadian website Muhle?

Since Muhle is now making the EJ DE heads, you are correct in the EJ razor shown at Fendrihan is most probably a re-branded Muhle.

eric

I own both the new R89 and the old R89. (as well as the R41). The new R89 renders a comfortable shave. The head design is accurate. Quality is great. The only complaint is that it is lighter in weight than the old R89. The handle is easy to grip. Since it arrived a few months ago, it has been my regular razor, and I have relegated my others to the regular rotation rather than primary.

I cannot recommmend Zamberg, as their customer service is clueless, and their website, when I used it, contained inaccurate product photos and descriptions. I wanted a nickel plated R89. They sent me a chrome plated R89. (yet they showed an R89 and described it as nickel.) When I wrote to them to say that I had received a chrome plated model rather than a nickel plated model, they wrote back that what I had receive was nickel, and that the picture on their site was wrong. However, they sent me the new R89 in chrome.

Currently, they only list the new R89, so they may have gotton over their confusion.

Yep, Zamberg was not much help and they have not gotten over their confusion. :rolleyes:
Your post is confusing though, the new R89 did not come out till just about a month ago, where did you end up finding it a few months ago? They all come in chrome now I think.

The old R89 was always chrome, the only nickel was the R41 wich has a different handle as well and should have a lower price.

Just curius that's all, could've been a site I missed.

I own both the new R89 and the old R89. (as well as the R41). The new R89 renders a comfortable shave. The head design is accurate. Quality is great. The only complaint is that it is lighter in weight than the old R89. The handle is easy to grip. Since it arrived a few months ago, it has been my regular razor, and I have relegated my others to the regular rotation rather than primary.

I cannot recommmend Zamberg, as their customer service is clueless, and their website, when I used it, contained inaccurate product photos and descriptions. I wanted a nickel plated R89. They sent me a chrome plated R89. (yet they showed an R89 and described it as nickel.) When I wrote to them to say that I had received a chrome plated model rather than a nickel plated model, they wrote back that what I had receive was nickel, and that the picture on their site was wrong. However, they sent me the new R89 in chrome.

Currently, they only list the new R89, so they may have gotton over their confusion.

Nope, read the posts above. This is the R41 (open comb) with head made by Merkur. It's labeled incorrectly as the R89.

The Edwin Jagger razor should have the same head as the R89 (Meulhe and EJ both share the same tooling for that particular head).

Look at the pic in the review thread.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?ltr=M&t=19179

The only difference between the old R41 and old R89 is that one was nickel and the other was chrome, IIRC.

The only difference between the old R41 and old R89 is that one was nickel and the other was chrome, IIRC.
You're right. I missed the 'old'.

It's confusing when a company uses the same designation to refer to a razor that is significantly different from the older model. So the old R41 and R89 were both open comb razors and now only the new R41 is open comb and the new R89 is closed?

You're right. I missed the 'old'.

It's confusing when a company uses the same designation to refer to a razor that is significantly different from the older model. So the old R41 and R89 were both open comb razors and now only the new R41 is open comb and the new R89 is closed?

Correct, and they are both chrome as well, no nickel.
Not only confusing for the buyer, but as I found out, some uneducated sellers just assume they are the same thing and not realize it.

Top Bottom