What's new

Bigelow vs. Peraso

I have read that Bigelow green is the same as Poraso Green. True or false?

has anyone else used the Bigelow line as I did not see any reviews?

I have read that Bigelow green is the same as Poraso Green. True or false?

has anyone else used the Bigelow line as I did not see any reviews?

I'm currently using Bigelow Green and I'm absolutely thrilled with it. I may experiment with other soaps and creams on down the line, but I think this will be my default go-to brand for a long time to come.

My first lather-up was with William's ... a month later I tried VDH Deluxe. Both gave adequate results (using a FatBoy on 5 with generic, no-name blades.)

I found the Bigelow Green at B&BW and bought it on impulse. I tried it that night, and my response was "WOW!" I haven't used anything else since.

It says on the tube, and I quote,
"MADE EXCLUSIVELY BY PRORASO FOR C.O. BIGELOW"

Quoting from the box:
"I set out to find a shaving cream that gives the closest, coolest shave on earth. My search landed me in Italy where I discovered one of the most incredible shaving formulas known to man. Favored by Italian barbers, this creamy, softening lather formula protects all skin types, cooks the skin and gives a truly exceptional shave."

Ian Ginsberg - Third Generation
C.O. Bigelow Proprietor and Pharmacist

So there you have it.

I haven't gotten hold of a genuine Proraso tube in order to compare the two. (I will order some genuine Proraso when I get my Merkur HD from Lee's in a few months.) Also, I don't know how the Greens and the Reds compare to each other.

Proraso is very similar to Noxema Medicated Comfort Shave ... I used to work in the factory where they made it, in Hunt Valley, MD. I wish I could find some, especially one that's in a glass bottle, not plastic. I don't the Nox brand of shave cream is still being made, but they still make other similar products for skin care.

I generally put a dab on my fingers and lather it up directly on my wet face which has been scrubbed with a loofah. Let it sit and soak in for about a minute, then shave. Usually, a pass and a half is all I need to get a great shave. (I don't even try to get to BBS.) After I scrape off most of the lather, I rub what's left all over the cheeks and neck from the lather on the edges of my face, goatee and sideburns. No need to go back to the tube for more cream. That forms a good ASB ... let it soak in for 30 seconds or so, then blot what's still wet with your towel.

BTW, that strong eucalyptus smell is only present during the shave ... you can even feel it as it makes your skin tingle. Once you blot off the excess ASB, the smell is hardly noticeable, and will be covered up by any cologne you put on.

That's all there is to it. A brush is not necessary, but you can use it if you like. One product does a great job as both shave cream and ASB.

The important thing is ... original Proraso and/or the Bigelow brand is a great product, its been in production over 100 years, its a favorite with Italian barbers (and Europeans in general,) and its only $10 a tube.

The first step would be to compare the ingredients on the labels of the respective products. I'm at work now, or I'd post the Bigelow ingredients (I don't have a tube of Proraso). Anyone?

Oh, really? I'll have to ask about it next time I'm down at B&BW ... probably this weekend.

I think he meant through the CO Bigelow website. They are offered both there, although there is a slight price difference. I went to BBW about a week ago and they only carried Bigelow.

Here are the website links:
CO Bigelow
Proraso

Here is where the confusion lies.

B & BW sells 2 different lines of Bigelow. They have the Green blue black and red line of Bigelow and then there is the Bigelow Green tube. The green tube is nothing, I believe like the green pump.

Am I right or mistaken?

Here is where the confusion lies.

B & BW sells 2 different lines of Bigelow. They have the Green blue black and red line of Bigelow and then there is the Bigelow Green tube. The green tube is nothing, I believe like the green pump.

Am I right or mistaken?

the green tube is the Proraso

It says on the tube, and I quote,
"MADE EXCLUSIVELY BY PRORASO FOR C.O. BIGELOW"

Quoting from the box:
"I set out to find a shaving cream that gives the closest, coolest shave on earth. My search landed me in Italy where I discovered one of the most incredible shaving formulas known to man. Favored by Italian barbers, this creamy, softening lather formula protects all skin types, cooks the skin and gives a truly exceptional shave."

Ian Ginsberg - Third Generation
C.O. Bigelow Proprietor and Pharmacist

So there you have it.

Oh Good Night!!!:eek::eek:
so that's what smells so good when I use it!!!!:w00t:

FWIW, here are the ingredients on my box of C. O. Bigelow Premium Shave Cream (indeed, " Made Exclusively by Proraso for C. O. Bigelow"):

Water (Aqua), Stearic Acid, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Potassium Hydroxide, Sodium Hydroxide, Glycerin, Propylene Glycol, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Eucalyptus Globulus Leaf Oil, Menthol, Fragrance (Parfum), Eucalyptol, Boric Acid, Camphor, PEG-150 Distearate, Sodium Metasilicate, Hydroxyethylcelluose, Sodium Borate, Methylparaben, Ethylparaben, Butylparaben, BHT

Compare these against the ingredients on a tube of Proraso and see if they are the same or not.

V

vypermann

The ingredients are the same in Proraso (Green) except for the ingredients in bold red....

<Quote from Proraso Tube>

"INGREDIENTS: Aqua (Water), Stearic Acid, Cocos nucifera (Coconut Oil, Potassium Hydroxide, Sodium Hydroxide, Glycerin, Propylene Glycol, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Eucalyptus Globulus (Eucalyptus Globulus Leaf Oil), Menthol, Parfum (Fragrance), Amyl Cinnamal, Eugenol, Geraniol, Eucalyptol, Boric Acid, Camphor, PEG-150 Distearate, Sodium Metasilicate, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Sodium Borate, Methylparaben, Ethylparaben, Propylparaben, Butylparaben, BHT."

Top Bottom