What's new

B&B Brush Guide - Handle Size/Shape

Handle size/shape, while completely unrelated to how the business end of a brush works, is a major factor in terms of how the brush feels in the hand (balance, ease of grip, etc.), as well as the aesthetics of the brush.
While not a factor in terms of how well a brush lathers or feels on the face, handle shape is important, as the comfort of a handle will directly impact how often you reach for a particular brush. In this regard, personal preferences should dictate what size/shape handle is for you.

There more handle shapes on the market than can possibly be described; here is a small sample of the various handle shapes/sizes currently available:

As you can clearly, see, there is a handle size/shape out there for everyone!

View attachment 21156

In general, handle sizes break down into the following general size categories (by handle height):

Small: Under 45mm

Medium: 46mm-60mm

Large: Over 60mm

The key considerations when deciding what size of handle is best for you are (i) the size of your hands and (ii) how you hold the brush.

If you have big, meaty hands with thick fingers, a small brush handle may not be the best choice for you – conversely, if you have small hands, you might want to avoid the monster handles. This is just a matter of common sense – but again, there are no hard and fast rules.

In terms of shape, a small handle with a ridge or flair at the base is really designed to be gripped by the fingertips above the ridge/base and offers few grip alternatives. As you get into larger handles and different shapes, you have more grip options – for example, holding the brush in a fist or so that the base of the brush rests in the palm of your hand (the Shavemac with the black handle in the picture above is specifically designed to accommodate a palm grip).

Unfortunately, the number of options is astounding and its difficult to get a sense of what works for you based on description alone – in this regard, the best thing to do is to try to find a shop with a good choice and just feel a bunch of different brushes in the hand.

Often, you find that manufacturers tend to put smaller handles on smaller diameter knots – which may not work for everyone, as there are guys who like a small knot with a big handle. Fortunately, there are options out there as the picture below suggests – while the knots are in the same ballpark, the handles range from quite short to quite tall, with considerable shape variation:

View attachment 21157

A last point on handles – handle material.

While white imitation ivory/plastic is most common, there are other colour options available – primarily black/ebony or faux horn.

In addition handles can be found in a wide range of other materials, including natural horn, wood, corian, granite, among others.

Other than the weight of handle (which affects balance/feel), handle material has no impact on performance and is entirely a matter of personal taste – the only caveat being that natural materials, no matter how well sealed will require additional care and maintenance.

Whats your method for keeping the Simpsons sticker on Suzuki? And, on a side note, I've shed a small army of tears over you collection.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Whats your method for keeping the Simpsons sticker on Suzuki? And, on a side note, I've shed a small army of tears over you collection.

The Simpson handles in that pic have been covered with two coats of clear nail polish. They ain't never coming off.:wink:

Its actually johhniegold's collection - I shed tears over it as well.

Truth be told, while I've tried and handled a lot of brushes, I actually only keep between 4 - 5 around at any time - although I have gone as high as 10.

Within a month or two, I figure out if a brush is working for me - if it isn't I sell it. If it is, I generally move a brush out of the rotation and sell it.

I'm also of the view that no one needs to spend more than $100 dollars to get a great brush - not saying that the expensive brushes aren't great, just that from a pure performance perspective, the more expensive brushes don't perform better. They may be bigger, have rare hair, expensive handels, and have a different feel on the face - but will perform the same as the $100 brush when it comes to building lather.

I know the fans of the Rooney finest, Plisson HMW or Simpson super may disagree, but this is just my $0.02 - again not saying that any of these aren't great brushes, just that they're not cost-justified from a functionality perspective.

Its actually johhniegold's collection - I shed tears over it as well.

Truth be told, while I've tried and handled a lot of brushes, I actually only keep between 4 - 5 around at any time - although I have gone as high as 10.

Within a month or two, I figure out if a brush is working for me - if it isn't I sell it. If it is, I generally move a brush out of the rotation and sell it.

I'm also of the view that no one needs to spend more than $100 dollars to get a great brush - not saying that the expensive brushes aren't great, just that from a pure performance perspective, the more expensive brushes don't perform better. They may be bigger, have rare hair, expensive handels, and have a different feel on the face - but will perform the same as the $100 brush when it comes to building lather.

I know the fans of the Rooney finest, Plisson HMW or Simpson super may disagree, but this is just my $0.02 - again not saying that any of these aren't great brushes, just that they're not cost-justified from a functionality perspective.

I just ordered the Merkur Vision set which includes a brass handle, 22mm Silvertip knot (The brush can be purchased separately for $80 at West Coast Shaving). One good point for this brush from Merkur is that it comes with a 10 year warranty. What's the norm warranty wise for other brushes?

This is a great post, I think about this all the time. There are two parts to a brush and to me it makes a big different how the handle feels. When picking out the brush the handle is truly just as important as the knot to me anyway. If the brush doesn't feel good in my hand when you are whipping up a lather. Then your probably not going to be completely happy with the brush, good post Chris.:thumbup1:

R

retromamma

I think the only way this post could be improved is adding pics of how to hold different handles [like palming vs fingertips]. I asked my husband to mime how he would lather, and he "used" his fingertips, but when I showed him the different styles, he was drawn to the rounded palming handle. His fingers are so long, I'd think they'd get in the way or he'd have to curl them back uncomfortably. Thanks for all the info! We've been researching this for months and these guides are truly helping us narrow down all the options!

Dont forget the balance between the handle and the tuft of badger :

proxy.php

Handle size/shape, while completely unrelated to how the business end of a brush works, is a major factor in terms of how the brush feels in the hand (balance, ease of grip, etc.), as well as the aesthetics of the brush.
While not a factor in terms of how well a brush lathers or feels on the face, handle shape is important, as the comfort of a handle will directly impact how often you reach for a particular brush. In this regard, personal preferences should dictate what size/shape handle is for you.

There more handle shapes on the market than can possibly be described; here is a small sample of the various handle shapes/sizes currently available:

As you can clearly, see, there is a handle size/shape out there for everyone!

View attachment 21156

In general, handle sizes break down into the following general size categories (by handle height):

Small: Under 45mm

Medium: 46mm-60mm

Large: Over 60mm

The key considerations when deciding what size of handle is best for you are (i) the size of your hands and (ii) how you hold the brush.

If you have big, meaty hands with thick fingers, a small brush handle may not be the best choice for you – conversely, if you have small hands, you might want to avoid the monster handles. This is just a matter of common sense – but again, there are no hard and fast rules.

In terms of shape, a small handle with a ridge or flair at the base is really designed to be gripped by the fingertips above the ridge/base and offers few grip alternatives. As you get into larger handles and different shapes, you have more grip options – for example, holding the brush in a fist or so that the base of the brush rests in the palm of your hand (the Shavemac with the black handle in the picture above is specifically designed to accommodate a palm grip).

Unfortunately, the number of options is astounding and its difficult to get a sense of what works for you based on description alone – in this regard, the best thing to do is to try to find a shop with a good choice and just feel a bunch of different brushes in the hand.

Often, you find that manufacturers tend to put smaller handles on smaller diameter knots – which may not work for everyone, as there are guys who like a small knot with a big handle. Fortunately, there are options out there as the picture below suggests – while the knots are in the same ballpark, the handles range from quite short to quite tall, with considerable shape variation:

View attachment 21157

A last point on handles – handle material.

While white imitation ivory/plastic is most common, there are other colour options available – primarily black/ebony or faux horn.

In addition handles can be found in a wide range of other materials, including natural horn, wood, corian, granite, among others.

Other than the weight of handle (which affects balance/feel), handle material has no impact on performance and is entirely a matter of personal taste – the only caveat being that natural materials, no matter how well sealed will require additional care and maintenance.

Would somebody kindly identify the brushes within this post? I am very interested in the brush 2nd from the left.

Many thanks

Q

great discussion of an often unmentioned part of what makes any brush desirable::thumbup:i personally have been most satisfied visually and in usage with what i have seen described as "persian jar";
thanks for the information:001_rolle
earl

Absolutely great post. Here are a couple of bits of information that should be in any authoritative post on Handle Size and Shape. While a great deal is personal preference, there are two immutable truths that can not be overcome by personal preference.

One: If you use a DEEP SHAVING MUG shave, an itty, bitty handle just is not going to comfortably reach. There are many long-handled brushes in all price ranges available for the gent that enjoys using a deep shaving mug.

Two: The Laws of Physics, in particular thermodynamics cannot be overcome by B&B!:001_huh: Should you like to soak your brush in hot water before applying hair to soap, metal handles can provide for an unpleasant experience.

Top Bottom