What's new

Omega vs. Jaguar brushes?

Turkey is a Muslim nation and they will not have anything to do with pork or hog products. The brushes I think might be horsehair. I have the 236 and the brush does not display characteristics of any of my boars although it makes a great lather.

You are wrong. It's boar hair. Besides no one will kill their horse for making brush. Horse is probably the most respected animal in Turkey.

I also have what I believe to be a Jaguar 236 and like it, though I haven't had it long enough to really review it. It is thin in the center of the knot, and the wooden handle on mine is completely unfinished, leaving me to think that eventually that handle is going to get water damage. But for ten bucks with a pack of Derbys and a tube of Arko thrown in, I'm certainly not going to complain. Mine is a nice little face latherer.

You are wrong. It's boar hair. Besides no one will kill their horse for making brush. Horse is probably the most respected animal in Turkey.

To my knowledge, horses are not killed to make brushes. The horse hair for horse hair brushes comes from trimmings.

I also have what I believe to be a Jaguar 236 and like it, though I haven't had it long enough to really review it. It is thin in the center of the knot, and the wooden handle on mine is completely unfinished, leaving me to think that eventually that handle is going to get water damage. But for ten bucks with a pack of Derbys and a tube of Arko thrown in, I'm certainly not going to complain. Mine is a nice little face latherer.

I have 4 wood handle brushes and applied four coats of Clear Coat nail polish to each one, so far after ~3 months use, 6 days per week, no problem. After completing 4 handles I have used 1/2 of a .5oz bottle, approximate cost ~$2.50.

I have 4 wood handle brushes and applied four coats of Clear Coat nail polish to each one, so far after ~3 months use, 6 days per week, no problem. After completing 4 handles I have used 1/2 of a .5oz bottle, approximate cost ~$2.50.

Now that right there is an excellent idea, thank you sir. I will raid my wife's fingernail stuff and slap some clearcoat on that sucker.

I have a Jaguar 236 (Shaving Factory XS) and it had boar funk to end all boar funk, even before the first drop of water touched it. Took 3 full nights of dried-lather break in to get Most of the funk out.

For others with the 236, how long is it taking to soften up? Mine is still fairly rough, though it has bloomed.

Also, does drying brush-up instead of brush-down in a stand help the brush bloom wider/faster? Thanks!

Top Bottom