What's new

How To Make A Blade Bank For Under 50 Cents….

My grandfathers medicine cabinet in it had a slot on the back marked "razor blades" in which used blades were to be dropped. Did they BUILD blade banks into the walls of houses at one time????
Wp

My grandfathers medicine cabinet in it had a slot on the back marked "razor blades" in which used blades were to be dropped. Did they BUILD blade banks into the walls of houses at one time????
Wp

Yep, those big blade banks were called "Framing". The blades just drop. Since it would take several hundred years of daily shaves to fill up the void in the wall, who cared? If the house was demolished or burned the old blades were just an acceptable part of the debris.

Here is a bathroom demo picture from a blog I Googled....

proxy.php

Apart from what happens when you rip the wall out, the only bad part about the medicine cabinet slots was the fact that blades would go one way, while roaches would go the other.

As for me, I just use a narrow bacon bits jar for the time being. I'm fresh out of grad school with no family or pets to worry about, and the thing is in the cabinet below the sink and unlikely to break. It'll do the job until I come up with something more creative.

Yep, those big blade banks were called "Framing". The blades just drop. Since it would take several hundred years of daily shaves to fill up the void in the wall, who cared? If the house was demolished or burned the old blades were just an acceptable part of the debris.

Here is a bathroom demo picture from a blog I Googled....

proxy.php

That's awesome...I am seriously considering doing this...my wife will have a fit too. :w00t:

I just pray I don't start dropping them on by wires, slowly stripping them over the years...yikes! :lol:

Hello all, after being inspired by this thread I searched around for something quick and attractive to convert into a blade bank. I was just about to recycle this tin when I realised it would make the perfect blade bank. I punched through the lid with an old knife. I bent the ragged edges inwards and finished them off on the inside with duct tape. Super glued the lid on tight and badda bing instant blade bank that will last out my life time. :001_smile

I would never, ever use a knife to do that, unless it was a completely junk knife, and I don't keep those around. Not only is it a horrible thing to do to a knife, it's not particularly safe.

A dremel or other rotary tool with a cutting wheel would work, of course not everyone has one, but chances are good a neighbor or friend would have one. I just came across this thread and I plan to make one of these as soon as I get my first DE razor.

After all these suggestions I threw away my Vienna Sausage can and made a blade bank out of one of the big Wal-Mart black pepper containers. It's metal with a flip up lid on the pour slot that is perfect for dropping blades into. If I ever fill it up I will duct tape it clothes and write BLADES on it.
Wp

I followed the OP suggestion, and recently took a can of chicken broth, punched the hole in top as described. The only thing I didn't do was paint it. Just stuck it in my cabinet. Works great. The broth can fits perfectly in my cabinet.

Hmm, I made one of these a while ago. Been working like a charm. My brother has recently moved out, so I made him a gift pack with a new shaving brush, a shaving bowl I made (I'm a potter), and a blade bank tin.
Been thinking about the recycling aspect tho. I know they sort things with magnetics, so no one would be touching it. But I would be worried about the fact that it is full. I know where I live, with glass bottles or plastic bottles if there is anything inside the bottle, that goes straight into the rejection/landfill pile, because they have to assume any container that isn't empty has something toxic/dangerous in it. Also I don't know what would happen if the metals were dissimilar? I'd hate to think I ruined a whole batch of metal. IMO it's fairly 'green' just to send the bank to landfill. It will just eventually rust down and become harmless. It's not like its going to produce methane or anything as it decomposes.
I also like this idea because I can happily use my personna blades which come in a cardboard box (i.e no blade slot on a plastic box), which is also green, coz u arent sending hundreds of those little plastic boxes to landfill. I love the idea that i'm now shaving without using any disposable plastics at all. (the proraso bowl is recyclable)

Stealing some of the best ideas from this thread, here's what I came up with ...

1) Metal can; no worries about breakage.

2) Side loading; maximizes useful interior space.

3) Small can; minimizes shelf footprint.

4) "Vintage" look.

5) 100% recyclable.

Here's the front view, along with my Merkur 1904 for scale:

proxy.php

And here's the back ...

proxy.php

I lined the label up with the slot in-between the "pointing fingers", and the first blade to go in cuts the slot through the label.

Not wanting to take up a lot of shelf space, I wanted a small can. We do a lot of Italian cooking, so we always have some 4 oz cans of mushrooms around. The can is 2.5" high x 2.5" in diameter. My wife has one of those can openers from Pampered Chef that cuts BELOW the rim on the SIDE rather than slicing down through the top. This makes washing out the can and epoxying the top back on a breeze! Here's a before-and-after shot ...

proxy.php

Thanks for all the great ideas guys!

Warren
(A.K.A. - "Werner the Rocketeer")

that is really awesome. The use of the side opener and making a "label" is a nice touch. I've just been using an empty Rx pill bottle but it totally lacks any creativity.
I like so many of the ideas here.

Top Bottom