What's new

Shave vs haircut razors

Hi,
I own a couple of Filarmónicas shaving razor. I also have a couple of dedicated FIlarmónicas for haircut.
There are visible differences as size, shape, weight and so on. Somebody told me that you couldn't shave with the haircut razor due to its shape and consequente thicker edge.
My questions are:

1.- Is all of it true?
2.- Can you reshape the haircut razor and turn it into a mini shaving razor fpr traveling?

Regards.

That person is an idiot.

A haircut razor looks like a DE with a guard and a handle. My grandma's hair stylist used to use them.

I agree with Leighton.

A good 4/8" razor is actually a delight to use and certainly in Europe, many men use them. They have the advantage of being very easy to manoeuvre and light to handle. They are usually exceptionally sharp and easy to keep that way.

I suspect the Filarmonica will be a little beauty. Comparable NOS quality Solingen 4/8" razors have sold on e bay recently for only $40 ish.

Last edited:
I agree with Leighton.

A good 4/8" razor is actually a delight to use and certainly in Europe, many men use them. They have the advantage of being very easy to manoeuvre and light to handle. They are usually exceptionally sharp and easy to keep that way.

I suspect the Filarmonica will be a little beauty. Comparable NOS quality Solingen 4/8" razors sell for between $100 and $200 depending on the maker and the condition. I suspect the Filarmonica if it were to be sold on E Bay would command the higher value.

Dear friend,
It is on sale actually in the corresponding forum.
Regards

Leighton knows. I'm kinda baffled by the rubber(?) sleeve on the tang of the second razor. Is that removable? That's the only odd thing about it. Those look like shaving razors.

A few haircut razors.

proxy.php

proxy.php
proxy.php

Shave vs. haircut....(two bits)

Dear friend,
It is on sale actually in the corresponding forum.
Regards

I also saw that item and thought it was a fair price. Good luck to anybody who buys it.

I think the seller is confused because many barbers use a 4/8" razor to clean up neck hair after a hair cut. Maybe this or because he has always used a large blade razor, he thinks it will not give a good shave.

The rubber band is actually superb for grip. If it comes off, you are just back to an ordinary razor grip again.

Try looking at e bay and see the current prices for Filarmonicas. Check the history of the usual sellers by looking at the history feedback comments. You will see the recent selling prices for the 7/8" Filarmonica razors is $300, but the 4/8" razors are as low as $40.

Last edited:
I also saw that item and thought it was a bargain. Good luck to anybody who buys it.

I think the seller is confused because many barbers use a 4/8" razor to clean up neck hair after a hair cut. Maybe this or because he has always used a large blade razor, he thinks it will not give a good shave.

The rubber band is actually superb for grip. If it comes off, you are just back to an ordinary razor grip again.

Try looking at e bay and see the current prices for Filarmonicas. Check the history of the usual sellers by looking at the history feedback comments. You will see the recent selling prices for the Filarmonica razors. $300 is usual for the larger blades.

Dear English,
Thanks for your information.
If I consider this razors as haircut dedicated is because of the engraving on the blade that sys "Corte Cabello", in other words, hair cut. My razor knowledge doesn't allow me to identify razors by its size but by other clearer signs as by the aforementioned engraving.
I just wanted to know it they could be suitable for face shaving just to open the buyer range.
You can bet that they are absolutely mint condition. The red one is even unopened and in its original bag.
Thanks again.

Maybe the "Corte Cabello" mark is similar to the "For Barber's use only" marks found on English straights. :confused: Maybe not, but who knows.

Either case, nothing in the pictures or my experience with 4/8 Fillys lead me to believe they would be unsuitable for face shaving. After all, whats different about shaving the neck and the face?

That said, the last batch of 4/8 Fillys on ebay actually went for very little. I think $40 a straight.

Maybe the "Corte Cabello" mark is similar to the "For Barber's use only" marks found on English straights. :confused: Maybe not, but who knows.

Either case, nothing in the pictures or my experience with 4/8 Fillys lead me to believe they would be unsuitable for face shaving. After all, whats different about shaving the neck and the face?

That said, the last batch of 4/8 Fillys on ebay actually went for very little. I think $40 a straight.

Thanks for your guessings, Leighton. Hope you are more certain when honing.
Regards.

Last edited:
Leighton is correct. I am wrong, sorry. He isn't guessing. He is trying to guide you fairly.

I have just checked again and the last few 4/8" Filarmonics NOS razors have been around the $40 level exactly as Leighton says. My mistake, sorry. It is only the unusual 7/8" top condition razors that have been getting the high prices. I have altered my two posts above to reflect these facts.

Last edited:
Leighton is correct. I am wrong, sorry. He isn't guessing. He is trying to guide you fairly.

I have just checked again and the last few 4/8" Filarmonics NOS razors have been around the $40 level exactly as Leighton says. My mistake, sorry. It is only the unusual 7/8" top condition razors that have been getting the high prices.

Dear English,
I knew that these razors don't score up to this money, but your opinion is not harmful for other's interest. Your good will made you overprice it. I also own two mint condition bigger Filarmónicas.
On the other side, this is not the same razor found at ebay, over 56USD, by the way, that I also saw.
If you base your comments on guessing, supposition and intuition, error possibilities might be the higher than certainty ones.
If you ever think that my words don't help to the matter, you should shut up and read. If you don't, saying disoriented words can let others form wrong opinions.

Top Bottom