What's new

Dorco ST-301 blades...

If I had used these things first, I probably would have quit DE shaving by now.

My first blades were PIF'd: Green Russian 7 o-clocks and Indian Wilkinson Swords. Both were pretty good blades. I used them all up, so I started to use some samples I had ordered.

First shave with the Dorco was really rough, especially the first pass. That was yesterday. I thought maybe it would be better on a second shave, so I tried it again this morning. Lots of tugging. Maybe this is how Gillette got the idea for "yank and cut."

Interestingly, midway through the shave I put the Tech down, pulled out a 50's superspeed, loaded it up with a new Dorco, and finished the shave. Seemed to go much better.

Now I don't know whether: a) the first Dorco blade was a dog, or b) the Dorcos work better in the superspeed than they do in the Tech.

Ideas? Thoughts?

Dorcos were the first blades I used in my Tech, because I got some with it. I was decidedly unimpressed. I haven't used Dorcos in my SS yet, but I will as part of my sampler pack blade testing, somewhere down the road...

Dorcos were the first blades I used in my Tech, because I got some with it. I was decidedly unimpressed. I haven't used Dorcos in my SS yet, but I will as part of my sampler pack blade testing, somewhere down the road...

I tried Dorco's in both of my razors. Neither shave was good.

I am glad this thread was started. The first blade I used in a DE razor was a Dorco 301. Man, I thought it was great!

Then I used some Feathers, Gillette greens, and Derbys.

As to what I think of Dorcos, let me just say this... should I PIF the Dorcos, or would that be too cruel and painful a punishment to inflict on a new wetshaver? :eek:

I have 2 packs of 10 (300 & 301s) that I have no idea what to do with....I'm scared to try them. May as well move on to another brand, I have a pack of feathers, Gillette in the blue pack and Personna's to choose from.

I have 2 packs of 10 (300 & 301s) that I have no idea what to do with....I'm scared to try them.

You might as well give them a try. Honestly, they produce a good close shave, for me at least, but I just can't call it a comfortable experience. From all the tugging I thought I was going to get razor burn, but that wasn't the case.

Hmmmmm. Ya know, summer is coming and my dog might like to have a short, cool summer cut. Maybe I should keep the Dorcos after all.... "Serena, come here girl. Daddy has a little surprise for you!! Yes, you get cookies." :lol:

I am testing some blades right now and I found that the Dorco blades gave an ok shave, but were literally painful to use. They scraped, pulled and tugged my face and neck. After about 3 shaves with 3 different Dorco blades I couldn't take it any more. I used Derby Extra blades today and they shaved great and shaving was fun again. Next week I am going to try Personna (Israeli) and Feathers after that.

Ahhhhhh, my people. :smile: Yeah, I was able to use the 301s to shave my head, but the 301s and (moreso) the 300s were just dull and tugged a lot on my face. No chance.

It's possible that folks with lighter beards would get good results with the 301s, but I have far too many better blades, or as-yet-untried blades, to waste time on the Dorcos.

Tried the 300s and wasn't impressed.

Stopped in a local Barber/Beauty supply store were they had the 301s priced at 100/pk for $13.

Gave it a try. They work fine with my Super Speeds and Techs.

They are part of my rotation now.

David

I get great shaves with the ST-301 blades, no pulling or tugging...they work for me in everything from a Fatboy to Techs to all manner of Superspeeds to Sheratons, etc.

I'm kind of a prep fanatic, so maybe they don't have to work very hard, and it's possible that my baseline is skewed because I haven't tried a bunch of other blades, but I'm in no hurry to because the Dorcos are cheap and they work well for me.

That said, when I run out I'll probably try the Feather or Derby blades, and perhaps I'll see the light. Maybe there is another zone beyond smooth, irratation free shaves that I've yet to discover?

Just got my forth very pleasant shave from an ST-301 in my Merkur Futur. My initial impression? I was very pleased. The Dorcos 'feel' much smoother than the Feathers I've been using since very early in my DE adventure. I now believe that the Feathers, though unquestionably sharp, are quite rough and irritating my shaving area. I'll post an update when I finish the box.

My experience is limited but ...

I didn't have a problem with the ST-300's. The only significant downside to them is that I can only get 2 decent shaves out of them. As I still have about 6 or 7 left in my sampler pack, I'll use them with no worries.

That said, I've also tried (from the sample pack) Merkurs (did NOT work well for me) and Derbys (best, so far).

I can see why some folks might not like the Dorcos, but this is a matter of taste more than anything else. For those of you who are truly planning on tossing the rest of your blades, why not offer them up on the BST page for postage cost? Someone out there (possibly me included) are perfectly happy with them.

Just a thought. :a12:

Cheers,
Matthew

Top Bottom