What's new

Anyone have experience with feather blades in a Schick injector?

I've been playing with SE razors for a week or so now and I really like my Schick injector. I'm using Ted Pella blades and they're nice. But I ran across this story and now I think I should try it. He talks about liking the Pro Guards, but also says he was going to test the others. I searched and didn't find any further comments. I emailed him, but haven't heard back yet.

I thought I'd ask here. Does anyone have any experience using the Feather blades in the injector? Which blades should I get - Pro Guard, Professional, or Professional Super?

Thanks,

~Jeff

I've tried one Pro Guard, and it worked very well.

I have the Super, but haven't gotten around to trying them yet. Not sure it's worth the bother, yet. Schick blades are very good, and even the EMS injector blades are pretty good.

I've tried one Pro Guard, and it worked very well.

I have the Super, but haven't gotten around to trying them yet. Not sure it's worth the bother, yet. Schick blades are very good, and even the EMS injector blades are pretty good.

If price weren't an issue, which would you say is better, the Schick or the Pro Guard? I haven't tried the Schick yet, but I do like my Ted Pellas.

Thanks,

~Jeff

Based upon the one trial run, it seemed pretty clear the Pro Guard was the superior blade. It really mowed down the whiskers on the WTG pass, and only got better from there. No weepers, no burn. The real drag about the whole feather thing isn't the price, so much as the difficulty in getting the blades into the razor. I had zero luck getting the blade into the injector, so had to insert the injector key to open the razor head a little, then insert the blade from the opposite side.

Would love someone experienced in this to post a video or photo how-to.

I would be happy to mail you my Feather Pro Guard and Pro Super blades so you can take a whirl yourself, without plunking down the pretty serious dough for those blades. You can then mail back what you don't use. We can PM about details, etc.

Based upon the one trial run, it seemed pretty clear the Pro Guard was the superior blade. It really mowed down the whiskers on the WTG pass, and only got better from there. No weepers, no burn. The real drag about the whole feather thing isn't the price, so much as the difficulty in getting the blades into the razor. I had zero luck getting the blade into the injector, so had to insert the injector key to open the razor head a little, then insert the blade from the opposite side.

Would love someone experienced in this to post a video or photo how-to.

I would be happy to mail you my Feather Pro Guard and Pro Super blades so you can take a whirl yourself, without plunking down the pretty serious dough for those blades. You can then mail back what you don't use. We can PM about details, etc.

It did sound like a tricky proposition getting it loaded. I think you found the solution, though, by inserting the key and then loading the blade by hand. I think I'd try using needle nose pliers.

Did you have to cut the feather blade down to size?

Thanks for the offer on the blade. Since you had such good results, I think I'll just order up a pack on my next West Coast Shaving order. If you are going to try a Pro Super, maybe I'll wait to see which you prefer between those two.

Thanks!

~Jeff

Sounds like too much trouble to me.:rolleyes:I will think about trying another blade in one of my injectors when my 100 or so original N.O.S. Schick blades run out.:wink::biggrin:

Suggestion - don't bother with Pro Guards. I tried them in my Cobra Classic and they weren't any better in terms of shave comfort than the regular Professionals, and you get fewer blades in a pack for the same money.

I've been playing with SE razors for a week or so now and I really like my Schick injector. I'm using Ted Pella blades and they're nice. But I ran across this story and now I think I should try it. He talks about liking the Pro Guards, but also says he was going to test the others. I searched and didn't find any further comments. I emailed him, but haven't heard back yet.

Well, today I heard back. He posted a very interesting answer here.

~Jeff
still not really sure what to do

How cool that he posted his response!

I am not the least bit handy--the idea of cutting Feathers down to fit my Injector when I'm getting perfectly good shaves out of the Chinese-made Injector blades just sounds like additional opportunity for injury. :eek:

YMMV, of course. :001_smile

I did try it once and it's a real pain in the arse! Dangerous too, cutting the blade to size and then trying to insert it into the handle. I will add that I don't have a key for inserting and I used a small screwdriver and pliers to get the blade in!

The shave was good though but the difficulty with the blade put me off doing it again.

Can't remember which blade I used as I have some of each from when I first bought my Feather AC.

Gareth

Gareth

Use Metal slug that came with new schick or an old blade dulled, hold it over new Feather blade, (Pro only), hold together with vise grip pliers, snip to same length with aviation metal snips. Stone rough snipped edge with knife stone. Carefully slide shortened blade in old magazine with needle nose pliers, ( hold follower down with toothpick etc.) then inject it into razor. 5 minutes tops. I get 10 smooth shaves out of these for 5 min. work. However just got a Cobra,.... soooo

Top Bottom