What's new

Going back to alcohol splash from balm

So I’ve not used an alcohol aftershave splash for at least 10 years as all my previous memories were that it stung like hell and dried my face. About this time I started using Nivea sensitive balm and being a real experimentalist have continued to use it and nothing else since.

But recently I started to notice that the Nivea wasn't really doing to job anymore. I can't quite out my finger on it but it seems to be stinging more than I remember and didn't seem to be doing a lot for my skin at the end of the shave.

Anyway, curiosity got the better of me and I thought I try an alcohol splash again. Didn't want to go overboard so spent a fiver on old spice whitewater. Have been using it for a week now and I’m well impressed. My skin has been left feeling better at the end of a shave and if I do have any razor burn it seems to take care of it so much better than the Nivea. I even enjoy the sting which is nowhere near as severe as I remember! And it’s not drying my face either. Excellent!

I sense some more aftershave purchases on the horizon!

So I’ve not used an alcohol aftershave splash for at least 10 years as all my previous memories were that it stung like hell and dried my face. About this time I started using Nivea sensitive balm and being a real experimentalist have continued to use it and nothing else since.

But recently I started to notice that the Nivea wasn't really doing to job anymore. I can't quite out my finger on it but it seems to be stinging more than I remember and didn't seem to be doing a lot for my skin at the end of the shave.

Anyway, curiosity got the better of me and I thought I try an alcohol splash again. Didn't want to go overboard so spent a fiver on old spice whitewater. Have been using it for a week now and I’m well impressed. My skin has been left feeling better at the end of a shave and if I do have any razor burn it seems to take care of it so much better than the Nivea. I even enjoy the sting which is nowhere near as severe as I remember! And it’s not drying my face either. Excellent!

I sense some more aftershave purchases on the horizon!

What's your skin type?

What's your skin type?

Err i'm not sure. I always thought I had senstive skin but now I'm not so sure. I think it was just rubbish products that I didn't like. I can get dry skin in the winter (as i'm sure many others can) but aside from that i'd say its fairly normal (if there is such a thing?), not particulary greasy/oily but not dry either. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Actually, that is helpful! If you check out the AS section, B&B has basically divided all of us wetshavers into three categories: Dry, Oily and Normal (middle of the road). Naturally, not everyone fits into just three categories...some are tweeners...but your description helps place your skin type.

Err i'm not sure. I always thought I had senstive skin but now I'm not so sure. I think it was just rubbish products that I didn't like. I can get dry skin in the winter (as i'm sure many others can) but aside from that i'd say its fairly normal (if there is such a thing?), not particulary greasy/oily but not dry either. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Looks like you do have normal skin.

I have dry skin (and not just in winter), so alcohol on my skin is a no-no

I'm a middle of the roader skin type too and ASBs just aren't for me. They always seem to leave me with a greasy feeling throughout the day, even the smallest amount. I use alcohol based AS (aqua velva) then apply a light moisturizing cream (cetaphil). Leaves me feeling great!

Top Bottom