What's new

Russian shaving soap?

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
Yeah, there are Russian cremes, Tet, Everest, a bunch of others.

But has anyone ever seen a Russian soap?

I had read this thread before and it seemed that Russians never really used shaving soaps? Just creams which in past years the earlier posters couldn't get their hands on. Just wanted to make it known they can be found now. If there's a soap also then I want it too!

A quick google led me to a 2010 article from bruce on shaving where he says his wife goes to latvia a few times a year and looks for shaving stuff for him. He has a picture of a half dozen creams she bought him, but says they don't use shave soap in Russia.

According to the guys on the German forums (I just did a search for Russian soaps: "Rasierseife" or "RS") there are no Russian soaps, only creams.

... no Russian soaps, only creams.
Hello comrades!
I'm from Russia, and responsibly declare - shaving soap industrial is not possible at all!
There are some passionate people - soap manufacturers (cook 1kg in 1 year), but very little.
And I tried to cook, by type of MdC and fat - shave himself, give colleagues ...
With flavors until all is well, there are two directions - EO and FO.
EO - mono or a mixture of lemongrass, vetiver, citrus,...
FO - have a desire to try ready tarragon, tobacco and brandy, or to create something Ambro-musky.
Parfume - arabian oil.
While this hobby is a lot to experiment fails.
On sale can be found shaving creams: "tet-a-tet", "start",..., but most - Nivea.

Hello comrades!
I'm from Russia, and responsibly declare - shaving soap industrial is not possible at all!
There are some passionate people - soap manufacturers (cook 1kg in 1 year), but very little.
And I tried to cook, by type of MdC and fat - shave himself, give colleagues ...
With flavors until all is well, there are two directions - EO and FO.
EO - mono or a mixture of lemongrass, vetiver, citrus,...
FO - have a desire to try ready tarragon, tobacco and brandy, or to create something Ambro-musky.
Parfume - arabian oil.
While this hobby is a lot to experiment fails.
On sale can be found shaving creams: "tet-a-tet", "start",..., but most - Nivea.

:thumbup1:

A bulgarian colleague from Bulgaria once brought back some presumably bulgarian shave soap called Duo. I have a picture of it somewhere. It was shaped like a large suppository and performance was mindbogglingly crappy.

As for russian soap makers, Stalin must have had them all shot.

Duo is not Bulgarian. There are several shaving creams made in Bulgaria (Karo, Viking, Top Ten, Rose of Bulgaria...), but no soaps. There was Karo shaving stick, but it has been out of production for at least 10-15 years

German creams dominate ...?
Dominance? - more available, I guess.
I live in Tyumen, the city is not small - Japanese cosmetics, and Turkish...
gel, foam, after shave,...
Nivea and Gillette - a lot of advertising., for the layman.
(advertising = 2 x the cost of the product.)
People are passionate about - find alternatives...that is how I ended up here.

Welcome to B&B!
Thank you very much!
Selling and Soaps - Scottish, American, French...
German soap never met ... in stores. Only in Internet shops
I began to look through the ingredients of the soap, I began to understand the composition...
EDTA, etidronate - almost all creams, although enough: citrate or succinate + lactate.
Better - its or other "handmade", IMHO.
I personally interesting: MWF, Mike and Synergy.
caffeine or codeine - well. polyquaternium-11 - used for contact lenses lubrication.
the mucilage of the seed of the flax - super...
soap, brewed for themselves is the best!!!

PS sorry for the language - online-translator
pps. Russian little - "maniacs shaving": бритва, клуб и часовщики, - likeminded people.
sorry!

Last edited:
Makes me almost wonder, if Voskhod's and Platinum blades are best suited to creams then? Is this why I use a cream for almost 2 weeks and then maybe a day or 2 with soap?

Well, I'm from Russia))

I'm on one of the thematic forums, promote the culture of shaving. As it happened, we have become a very popular brand of shaving soaps , such as: QCS, MNS, B&M, LA, Maggard, Cattie's Bubble, Ogalala, Synergy, MdC, Proraso, MWF, Tabac, Cella.

Crazy popularity lotions Clubman ( Pinaud , Special Reserve, Lime SEC ) and Osage Rub, Old Spice Original (India), Tabac, Captain Choice

Personna Med Prep, Feather, Astra SP, Gillette Silver Blue as razor blades.

Shaving brushes have great respect as: Semoque Owner Club, 2000, Omega 48/49 and 10065, Simpson Chubby 2 in super, Duke 3 in best M&F 2XL in blond.

Very popular DE razors : r89, r41, Gillette New/Old Type ( especially from sportshaving ) , Ikon Slant Bar, Hoffritz Slant Bar, Merkur HD 34 c/37 c, 15 c/41 c.

The best shaving scuttle for us: Steve Woodhead ( Great Britain ) , Georgetown G12/20 ( USA ) , The BIG Shave ( Liverpool , Great Britain )

Russian shaving soaps are inferior in quality to American, Italian, English, French - it's honestly. We have excellent blades and shaving creams "Svoboda", several brands of good Eau de Cologne with low price.

Mass market mainly: Arko, Nivea, Gillette....

lyaxeyka_73 my nickname Outspb on our maniac shaving forum, :w00t:

Last edited:
I have a friend who recently visited his mother in Russia (his homeland). He was looking for wet shaving products but could not find anything other than a lady friend of his sells the Russian equivalent of AVON. He got the aftershave balm from her for me. Can't recall the name of the AS. She said that it has skin friendly ingredients. I used it this morning after a particularly nice shave with Nancy Boy cream and a Derby blade. The AS appears to be pretty good. I definitely will continue to use it.

DUO is manufactured in Bulgaria.Bulgarians have told me this soap will produce good lather,but the technique has escaped me,I had no luck with it....You may be able to find it in Russia if you are really lucky..or unlucky...http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/313833-Shave-Suppository

I stand corrected. This thing really appears to be made in Bulgaria. Well, I'm Bulgarian by birth and have been living in the country for the past few years. I've never ever seen this article in stores in Sofia. The manufacturer is unknown to me, apparently it's a small company, couldn't find even a website.

PS: BTW, the name should be transcribed as DIO.

I stand corrected. This thing really appears to be made in Bulgaria. Well, I'm Bulgarian by birth and have been living in the country for the past few years. I've never ever seen this article in stores in Sofia. The manufacturer is unknown to me, apparently it's a small company, couldn't find even a website.

PS: BTW, the name should be transcribed as DIO.

If you are interested I could probably find out where he got it. I doubt it is worth it though, the review that malocchio made on it mirrors my experience. It is in a league of its own in terms of lack of performance. The scent of mine was a revolting soapy ammonia. I would stay well clear of this soap if I were you.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
If you are interested I could probably find out where he got it. I doubt it is worth it though, the review that malocchio made on it mirrors my experience. It is in a league of its own in terms of lack of performance. The scent of mine was a revolting soapy ammonia. I would stay well clear of this soap if I were you.

Interesting and that ain't good...

... Outspb ... maniac shaving forum -
на "часовщиках",а на "razor-club" - Tenergy :thumbup:
Hi Valerie!
"The razor," I'm the main points explained - how to make a decent soap, there are links on the BB, SN and SM...
If you are too lazy to cook , i could always send (PM) in the mail that ... to N15Y. ;-)
The scent of mine was a revolting soapy ammonia.
perhaps the manufacturer wanted to introduce ingredient polysaccharide - Inulin...
has his own secrets, each... ;-)

Last edited:

Thank you, but I'll pass. This thing apparently is not worth neither the money, nor the time trying to find it.

Interesting, hope to see some guys on ebay selling these soaps. Would like to try them!
Really like the Russian blades, so let's buy some soap and aftershave and a Russian razor and have a full Russian shave!

These are great pictures Rus-Lan !!...Viking is still in production in Bulgaria , and a very nice cream it is !...Yes..so many of the old classic Russian creams have disappeared , while Bulgaria has significantly increased variety and production of really high quality creams....The Ukraine has a very nice brushless cream called "EGO"....I have never seen brushless Russian creams , do they make any today ?

Top Bottom