What's new

Russian shaving soap?

I happen to read Russian among others and sincerely hope the back-to-front remark was a joke. Nothing is more upsetting for Russians than for instance B-grade Cold war movie posters in which the Rs are reversed to make them look Russian. The 'Я' is a vowel, pronounced "ya".
Moreover, Cyrillic is 95% the same among the countries that use it, very much like the Latin script we're using right now. Think of the "funny" letters in German or Icelandic. But I digress...

The front label reads:
Eau-de-Cologne
Tete-a-tete (Russian is phonetic, so no need for silent letters)
Novaya Zarya - "New Dawn" - the manufacturer's name

Back label:
57 ml, 87.9% (probably alcohol)
the address of the manufacturer
ingredients: denaturated spirits, water, perfumy things

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I happen to read Russian among others and sincerely hope the back-to-front remark was a joke. Nothing is more upsetting for Russians than for instance B-grade Cold war movie posters in which the Rs are reversed to make them look Russian. The 'Я' is a vowel, pronounced "ya".
Moreover, Cyrillic is 95% the same among the countries that use it, very much like the Latin script we're using right now. Think of the "funny" letters in German or Icelandic. But I digress...

The front label reads:
Eau-de-Cologne
Tete-a-tete (Russian is phonetic, so no need for silent letters)
Novaya Zarya - "New Dawn" - the manufacturer's name

Back label:
57 ml, 87.9% (probably alcohol)
the address of the manufacturer
ingredients: denaturated spirits, water, perfumy things

I didn't know about that. Always good to learn something everyday. Thanks for the translation!

Tet-a-Tet is a Russian-made shaving cream, as well as Everest, Comme il Faut, Nord Ost, Svoboda menthol aftershave balm. There are eau-de-cologne aftershave balms from Tet-a-Tet and Everest.

I'm from Romania, and just like in Russia, there are no available shaving soaps. You can find a bunch of good shaving creams, but no soaps.
I guess there is no tradition of using shaving soaps in Eastern Europe.

Thank "God" for Internet and online vendors :thumbup1:

all these great leads,urls,websites,deli stores etc. etc. and STILL we don't have a source to just go online and order this stuff !! I do see,however,we have some damn good detectives at work here...I have faith we will succeed !!

Ah! Here's your problem! You're looking for shaving soap when you should be looking for мыло. Now if you could only pronounce that...I believe it's close to mydło.

That word is pronounced "mwil'ah", plus I think "Крем Для Бритья" may also help (pronounced "krem dlya brit'yah".)

you might alsof ind some stuff under this phrase

Мыло бритвеное для Папочки :laugh:

I know this thread is centuries old, but ... I will be in Russia in the end of August on a business trip and will definitely look around for shaving soap. If anyone is still interested, I will post the outcome here.

I know this thread is centuries old, but ... I will be in Russia in the end of August on a business trip and will definitely look around for shaving soap. If anyone is still interested, I will post the outcome here.

That's awesome. Let us know what you find.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member

Sure, even if it's not Russian made, I'd be curious to know what's on the shelves at the Supermarket and Chemist!

Sure, even if it's not Russian made, I'd be curious to know what's on the shelves at the Supermarket and Chemist!

Sure, but don´t expect that things made in Russia are available there. All the blades made in St. Pete (Astra, Nacet etc.) are made for their respective markets, not for Russia internal market. Like here in Brazil we have a Schick factory. It serves the whole South America out of Brazil, however Schick products are not present on the Brazilian market.

What I can definitely do, however is to convince someone local to start selling Russian made stuff (blades creams etc.) for example on e-bay. Should I?

Last edited:

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
I know this is a very old thread, but the thought popped up on my mind also. I found Svoboda on eBay and ordered 3 tubes. One to try, and one for 2 of my friends.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I know this is a very old thread, but the thought popped up on my mind also. I found Svoboda on eBay and ordered 3 tubes. One to try, and one for 2 of my friends.

Yeah, there are Russian cremes, Tet, Everest, a bunch of others.

But has anyone ever seen a Russian soap?

$oie_yNwmYXvWHvyt.jpg

A bulgarian colleague from Bulgaria once brought back some presumably bulgarian shave soap called Duo. I have a picture of it somewhere. It was shaped like a large suppository and performance was mindbogglingly crappy.

As for russian soap makers, Stalin must have had them all shot.

Sure, but don´t expect that things made in Russia are available there. All the blades made in St. Pete (Astra, Nacet etc.) are made for their respective markets, not for Russia internal market. Like here in Brazil we have a Schick factory. It serves the whole South America out of Brazil, however Schick products are not present on the Brazilian market.

What I can definitely do, however is to convince someone local to start selling Russian made stuff (blades creams etc.) for example on e-bay. Should I?

That is like Indian Parker razors being hard to find in India ... probably because exporting is more profitable for the manufacturer.

Top Bottom