What's new

Spirit of the Month - April 2009 - Laphroaig Single Malt Scotch Whisky

[FONT=&quot]Welcome to the B&B Speakeasy Spirit of the Month![/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Our selection for April 2009 will be Laphroaig Single Malt Scotch Whisky[/FONT]

[imga=left]http://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/media/16596/full[/imga]The weather's getting warmer, but the wind and damp still lingers 'round most of the places we call home. And there's no wrong season for Scotch. So, we've decided to pull out one more delicious single malt whisky before moving into the lighter, warmer-month liquors beginning next month.

You'll remember a few months back we went with delectably peaty malts from the Ardbeg distillery, and this month we'll raise yet another Islay as a comparison. Also situated on the southern coast of Islay, Laphroaig is only about 3km from the Ardbeg distillery. Laphroaig (pronounced with a "-froyg" -- I can't tell you how long I was pronouncing it completely wrong) is thought to be one of the most strongly flavored of all Scotch whiskeys, owing to the 35ppm peating and notably soft water from the Kilbride Dam.

"Officially" founded in 1815 (although its thought to be a few years older) by the brothers Alexander and Donald Johnston and remained in the family until passing to the secretary of the heirless owner in 1954, Bessie Williamson, making her the first female distillery manager in Scotland. Currently owned by Allied Distillers, Laphroaig has an annual production of around 2 million liters and uses approximately half its product for its own single-malt bottlings. In 1994, Laphroaig was the first distillery to receive a Royal Warrant from the Prince of Wales, reportedly as the 15yr is his favorite Scotch Whisky.

[imga=right]http://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/media/16597/full[/imga]Laphroaig offers a myriad of expressions, beginning with their ubiquitous and pungent 10yr bottling and progressing up through rare 30 year and older bottlings. Although the ABV was standardized to 80pr in 2005, some older bottles of the original 86pr can still be found and Laphroaig offers "quarter cask" (matured in small casks, mimicking bygone distilling methods, maximizing whisky-to-wood contact, and bottled at a higher strength) and "cask strength 10yr" bottlings for those desiring the most unadulterated spirit. Laphroaig is often characterized by its smoky punch, a medicinal quality and a bit of seaweed concealing sweet and salty undertones which mature and flourish in the older expressions.

Thirsty B&Bers are welcome to sample and discuss any of the numerous Laphroaig expressions, although the standard 10yr is very widely available and should compare and contrast nicely with the Ardbeg. When you do pick up your bottle, however, make sure you punch in the UPC on the Laphroaig website to join the "Friends of Laphroaig" society, which earns you one square foot of land on Islay through which the water used to make the whisky drains. All friends are also entitled to visit their plot and receive their "rent" from the distillers -- a dram of their finest! And while you're at the website, make sure you take the video tour of the distillery too -- its very cool and informative.

Cheers!!
:a54:

*And as always, you can review all of our previous Spirit of the Month selections on the B&B Wiki here!

Last edited by a moderator:
Should be an interesting discussion, since Laphroaig tends to be one of those "love it or hate it" tastes.

Interestingly, I've heard that Laphroaig was one of the few spirits allowed to be imported during Prohibition since it was felt to be "medicinal". The taste sure supports that notion. Link.

Anyway, I prefer the 15yo over the 10yo, since it has less of the smoky/peaty punch. Either one is very good with chocolate (seriously).

My second favorite bottle of scotch on the planet. Bowmore 12 is my "go to" bottle. I do always have a bottle of Laphroaig on the shelf. Some days you just like a little more of a smoky salt punch. I actually prefer the 10 to the older bottlings, as it's a bit more pungent. I'll take mine with 1 cube in the summer or with a dash of water in the winter. A small amount of water really helps bring some of the more subtle flavors buried under the smoke to the surface.

Laphroaig has a lot of great options, not just the 10 year. The 15, the Quarter Cask and the Cask Strength are also outstanding. All even better the 10 in my opinion.

Another top notch job, Pat.

I make sure I always have a bottle of Laphroaig of some variety in my cabinet. The 10-year is what I usually have, but my latest is the Quarter Cask, which is fantastic.

Funny (or maybe boring) story: I had my first taste of Laphroaig, given to me by a friend's father, when I was in my early 20's, probably in 1990 or so. I saw it in his liquor cabinet and had to have a taste. I was a huge fan of Robert Ludlum's spy novels, and many of his characters drank Laphroaig, so it had a kind of romantic mystique for me. Luckily, I also just really enjoyed its unique taste.

Laphroaig is my favorite whiskey, and for years the 10 and 15 year versions were staples in my pantry. Lately I have been drinking the quarter cask, and I have to say I am a bit disappointed. It comes across as very sweet compared to the traditional 10, and I find it a bit unbalanced. Anyone else get this?

It is enjoyable on a wet, cold, lazy wind(goes through rather than around you) day in front of a fireplace preferably on the coast.

Richard

a strange story about this scotch ...

When living in England, I travelled to Canterbury one day to see the city. I went on this indoor "Canterbuty Tales Experience" tour where you sit in this cart and it follows some tracks and along the way you see mechanical manniquins chopping wood or blacksmithing or cooking or whatever. Its made to look like you are back in time and a narrator tells all about the times, the lifestyle and of course the Tales. Anyway, they pump in a smoky smell into the air to give you a better sense of what life was like. At the time I thought it was terrible and couldn't wait to get outside again but years later I encountered this smell again - but as a taste!! The taste of Laphroaig is exactly the same as the smell of this Canterbury Tales lifestyle tour!!

But I love the scotch, and it is a staple on my shelf.

Laphroaig is truly great. I think the 10 year old is one of the best values in whisky out there. (I haven't had the 15 year old in quite a while, but I remember not liking it as much.) Oddly enough, given it's reputation, it's one of only two whiskies my wife has tried that she actually like.

And, in reference to a thread I started a few weeks ago, I would NEVER drink this on the rocks! :biggrin:

Friday night, I came home and poured myself a large, resplendent dram of Laphroaig 15. Delicious!

Bob O., is it true that Laphroaig 15 will be disappearing and is being replaced with a 17 year? If so, is the 17 out, and if so has anyone had it?

Laphroaig is my favorite whiskey, and for years the 10 and 15 year versions were staples in my pantry. Lately I have been drinking the quarter cask, and I have to say I am a bit disappointed. It comes across as very sweet compared to the traditional 10, and I find it a bit unbalanced. Anyone else get this?

I am yet to taste the Quarter Cask, but one of my closest friends who is a very knowledgeable Scotch guy believes the QC to be the most balanced and complex of the Laphroaig line-up. He has one of the first bottlings, but I have heard the quality of more recent bottlings isn't up to the quality of the first bottling. I really need to pick up a bottle and find out for myself. :wink:

I really love that we are doing Laphroaig. It is this malt more than any other, that really made me fall in love with Scotch. Laphroaig 10 was the second bottle of Scotch I purchased and what pushed me over the edge into eternal devotion to this spirit. To this day, the smell of Laphroaig makes me very happy.

Thanks for the kind welcome... been lurking for a while (come over from ShaveMyFace.com) but as an Irish Whiskey drinker I really cannot get on with Islay Scotch.

For being so similar in some ways, they are radically different beasts. Have you tried any of the Islays on more than one occasion? The taste is very unique and for many it is an acquired taste. Also for many it's not the smoke, but the strong iodine taste that the Islays have that gets to them.

Top Bottom