What's new

Spirit of the Month - April 2009 - Laphroaig Single Malt Scotch Whisky

This thread got me to thinking about a bottle of the Laphroaig 30 year old that I bought for two friends 7 or 8 years ago on the occasion of their wedding.

I had always enjoyed the 10 year old, while the 15 year old seemed too middle of the road since I really like peat. The 30 year old was truly heavenly, although it's been long enough since tasting it that I can't remember the details. (Soon after the wedding, the wife became pregnant and wasn't allowed to drink anymore of it, and by the time their child was born the bottle of 30 year old had been emptied by the husband.)

At any rate, this thread gave me the idea of buying another bottle. I was very sad to find out that it would cost me about $600 to do so.

I just got the following via e-mail, in case anyone's interested:

Dear Friend of Laphroaig® - Tartan Day in New York City is coming up on April 4, and I'll be hosting a special event for all of our Friends of Laphroaig. Of course, the Tartan Day Parade will be earlier that day, but I'll be holding a gathering of my own at Astor Wine & Spirits with some of my country's most prestigious spirits - Laphroaig® 15 Year, 10 Year, 10 Year Cask Strength and Quarter Cask Scotches, plus Ardmore® Traditional Cask as well. We'll be conducting an in-store tasting, and I'll be happy to sign any bottle you purchase. The event is free and will be a perfect complement to the Tartan Day activities. Here is all the information you need: Date: April 4Time: 3:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.Location: Astor Wines & SpiritsAddress: 399 Lafayette St. New York, NY 10003 Join us on this special day that commemorates Scottish culture and our contributions to America. I hope to see you there, friend. Slàinthe, Simon Brooking Master Ambassador, Laphroaig

Friday night, I came home and poured myself a large, resplendent dram of Laphroaig 15. Delicious!

Bob O., is it true that Laphroaig 15 will be disappearing and is being replaced with a 17 year? If so, is the 17 out, and if so has anyone had it?

Actually an 18 year will be the replacement. On this Blog, I see it was just bottled a few weeks ago, so I guess we have a number of months until we see it. I don't wish to see the 15 go, since it was a great buy at the price point. We shall see how the 18 compares, but at a higher price.

As always, fantastic job, Pat!

Love Islay malts and the batchs from this distillery are my fav. Personally have the 10, 10 CS and the 15 and I love all of them the same but for different reasons!:blush:

Love Islay malts and the batchs from this distillery are my fav. Personally have the 10, 10 CS and the 15 and I love all of them the same but for different reasons!:blush:

My thoughts exactly. I have the same four as well as a few Signatory youngsters, 7 year old Cask Strengths from 1999 and 2000. Just depends on what mood I am in. :biggrin:

My thoughts exactly. I have the same four as well as a few Signatory youngsters, 7 year old Cask Strengths from 1999 and 2000. Just depends on what mood I am in. :biggrin:
Lol. I always find myself sampling them one after another extolling their individual virtues. You know its not good to lower their self image :)

Let me just say how impressed I am that its the first day of the month and we already have 28 replies. I figured this would be a popular one... :thumbup1:

It may be my snifters, but at first sip of my new bottle I felt a little unaccustomed to the strength of the alcohol taste. I didn't recall it being quite as strong from the last several times I've had Lagavulin 10. And then I took a closer look at the bottle, and noticed its 43%. The information I dug up for this post indicated it'd been standardized to 80pr/40% around 2005. Out of curiosity, could you gents who have a bottle of the 10 post here on its strength and approximately when you purchased the bottle?

Just finished up a big snifter of the Quarter Cask. I've been living on a steady diet of the 10 and 15 year version for many many years, but for some reason the QC doesn't sit right with me. There is a crystallized sweetness that bothers me.

It may be my snifters, but at first sip of my new bottle I felt a little unaccustomed to the strength of the alcohol taste. I didn't recall it being quite as strong from the last several times I've had Lagavulin 10. And then I took a closer look at the bottle, and noticed its 43%. The information I dug up for this post indicated it'd been standardized to 80pr/40% around 2005. Out of curiosity, could you gents who have a bottle of the 10 post here on its strength and approximately when you purchased the bottle?

86 proof about a year ago.

The US version is 43% while most of the other markets are 40%. Not often we get the better deal. :biggrin:

The US version is 43% while most of the other markets are 40%. Not often we get the better deal. :biggrin:

Thanks for the clarification. Good deal. For some reason I don't recall the alcohol tasting as strong when I've had it in the past as it does from the bottle I have now though. Maybe its just in my head. :bored:

Thanks for the clarification. Good deal. For some reason I don't recall the alcohol tasting as strong when I've had it in the past as it does from the bottle I have now though. Maybe its just in my head. :bored:

Eh, who knows. It's interesting how foods eaten earlier etc. can have an effect. The same can be said for glassware, try small pours into different styles and taste them back to back.

Top Bottom