What's new

Proper matches...do they exist?

If you watch old movies, old cartoons, and especially westerns, you see characters strike matches against just whatever strikes their fancy at the time. Those old matches must have been really easy to strike. I remember, even back in my youth which was just a few years ago, striking matches against my jeans, teeth, shoe sole, and with my fingernail. These were matches I stole from my grandmother, who had an epic supply of them above the fridge--Ohio Blue Tips. But they still weren't as easy to strike as those GOOD matches in the movies, which burnt a lot better too, and clearly had a lot more sulfur on them. I swear, I've seen people light matches by flicking the SIDE of the match, easy as pie, not needing to contact the tip.

Now, it's nearly impossible to buy strike-anywhere matches at all. I'm sure they were dangerous to transport and now, in a post-911 world, they are probably regulated out of practicality for the children. The only brand available, it seems, is Diamond, which are terrible...you can strike them anywhere, sure, but they won't light. You can certainly forget about doing any Clint Eastwood impersonations with them...I found the fingernail technique utterly impossible, and it's not only my skill.

Why do I care? Well, lighting matches on the box just isn't as cool. And if I could find good matches, I could just toss a few in my cigarette case, and be set. And dammit, I just want them.

It's my hope that--at a certain price--that good, proper, easy lighting, dangerous, toxic, evil, and well-performing matches are available. Am I being optimistic? Or are effective matches "lost technology" in western civilization?

Interesting post. I have not thought about this. I used to be able to light an Ohio Blue tip on the sole of my boots, the tip of a tooth, or the zipper on my jeans. Not anymore. The heads fall apart.

DL

If you watch old movies, old cartoons, and especially westerns, you see characters strike matches against just whatever strikes their fancy at the time. Those old matches must have been really easy to strike. I remember, even back in my youth which was just a few years ago, striking matches against my jeans, teeth, shoe sole, and with my fingernail. These were matches I stole from my grandmother, who had an epic supply of them above the fridge--Ohio Blue Tips. But they still weren't as easy to strike as those GOOD matches in the movies, which burnt a lot better too, and clearly had a lot more sulfur on them. I swear, I've seen people light matches by flicking the SIDE of the match, easy as pie, not needing to contact the tip.

Now, it's nearly impossible to buy strike-anywhere matches at all. I'm sure they were dangerous to transport and now, in a post-911 world, they are probably regulated out of practicality for the children. The only brand available, it seems, is Diamond, which are terrible...you can strike them anywhere, sure, but they won't light. You can certainly forget about doing any Clint Eastwood impersonations with them...I found the fingernail technique utterly impossible, and it's not only my skill.

Why do I care? Well, lighting matches on the box just isn't as cool. And if I could find good matches, I could just toss a few in my cigarette case, and be set. And dammit, I just want them.

It's my hope that--at a certain price--that good, proper, easy lighting, dangerous, toxic, evil, and well-performing matches are available. Am I being optimistic? Or are effective matches "lost technology" in western civilization?

They were wonderful.

There is a scene in Stalag 17 where William Holden strikes a match on Neville Brand's cheek. Awesome!

It was always fun getting a bit of the sulphorus tip caught under your fingernail while pulling the fingernail lighting trick.

More:

We used to (try to) light them on our jeans. Pull the material tight and strike on the thigh. If that didn't work, the zipper always did.

Or, you can toss 'em tip first on the street or sidewalk and watch them light.

Or, you can toss 'em tip first on the street or sidewalk and watch them light.

William Holden strikes a match on Neville Brand's cheek

Try any of those with a modern strike-anywhere match, if you can even find one.

One of the most vivid examples for me is the beginning of The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly where the man-with-no-name lights one up with his fingernail while spouting one of his one-liners.

I had hoped that the fine cigar market had preserved some line of good matches, or something. I would be hopeful that such beasts are still made somewhere in Asia or Eastern Europe, but even if so, it's probably the transportation laws as much as anything else that keeps them out of America.

This is interesting. Being, I guess, too young to have ever experienced proper light-anywheres, I always assumed I just wasn't leather-faced enough to light 'em off my stubble or what have you.

REDBIRDS. They are still available in my area. I use them to light my Pipes & Cigars.

They make two types: the small packs of 50 ( smaller match size )
and the larger 250 packs which contain the larger ( kitchen style ) matches with more sulphur on the tips.

This thread brought back a memory. I was about ten years old, playing with my friend Wendell in his backyard. We got a spoke from an old bicycle wheel, crimped one end closed, cut the heads off several of those old strike-anywhere matches and packed them into the crimped end of our spoke. Then we rammed a little ball bearing down it and held a cigarette lighter under it. We were so intent on our experiment we did not see his mom come out to hang her laundry. She was bending over her laundry basket when our little muzzle loader fired and shot her in the butt. I jumped the fence and ran home, but she caught Wendell. He ratted me out, his mom called mine, and we both got more damage done to our rear ends than we had done to hers...

Check out the light-anywhere flare matches.These are awesome, probably wouldn't want to light anything other than a campfire with them thought, they throw a pretty intense flame.

Check out the light-anywhere flare matches.These are awesome, probably wouldn't want to light anything other than a campfire with them thought, they throw a pretty intense flame.

I have some of those, they are very windproof but are not strike-anywhere. I think I got them at cabelas. I have used them to light cigarettes but you have to wait till they burn all the sulfur away, because they do stink.

Actually, Diamond matches are the standing example of how bad modern matches have become. They don't even work with match-guns made from clothespins anymore. The match gets launched, but not lit. Now, when clothespin matchguns don't work anymore, you have evidence of a serious and far-reaching social problem on your hands.

Actually, Diamond matches are the standing example of how bad modern matches have become. They don't even work with match-guns made from clothespins anymore. The match gets launched, but not lit. Now, when clothespin matchguns don't work anymore, you have evidence of a serious and far-reaching social problem on your hands.

match guns bring something totally different into the equation

They still beat the old, white phosphorous strike anywhere matches. Those would sometimes light off in the box.:eek:

They really are pretty bad when compared to their competition, but when it's all that's available, they are good enough.

The Diamonds may be a poor example, but around here they are the only strike anywhere matches to be found. I pick up a couple of boxes a year.

I bought a huge box of Diamond Strike-Anywhere matches a while back for lighting my pipe and was super excited to have found them. After going through a few of the boxes, all I can say is that they are pretty much junk. Even with the strike pad, 1 out of 4 (and this is optimistic) will either not light at all or flare out before it has had a chance to burn the tip off and I've brought it to my pipe. Yep. When they're done, it'll be a soft butane flame for my pipe and a torch for the cigars.

Top Bottom