What's new

Czech & speake samples

The descriptions of Czech @ Speake fragrances on the boards have really caught my attention, so I contacted them through their website and asked for a sample of 88. Three or four days later, I received a package from London with samples of each of their fragrances. It was wrapped up in their marble-patterned paper--it looked like a present. Although I did have to register on their site, there was no charge for the samples. Their customer service has also been extremely responsive with answers to my questions.

No.88 is the only one that's really doing anything for me, though...

Cuba is interesting; a top-notch boozy-tobacco. But it makes me smell like I'm coming HOME from a smoky club, not going TO one. Smells like a barfight.

Frankincense & Myrrh... ehh.. snore. Well, maybe I shouldn't say that. It's just not my cup of tea.

Citrus Paradisi - Although I can appreciate the "cat pee on a dry bush" accord in Cypres Musc and Orange Spice, I can't deal with it here. I tested this last night and almost had to wash it off. I know there are a lot of fans of this one, but I do not care at all for spicy citrus scents.

Oxford & Cambridge = Caron Un Pour Homme = $15

Those are the only others that I've tried. And although I don't care for them nearly as much as No.88, I still can appreciate them. But No.88... Just makes me envision a well-off, suited gentleman in the 60's, emerging from an incense-filled head shop.

I also received their sampler package and *wow*, top-notch presentation. The only scents I really got into were the Citrus Paradisi, Oxford & Cambridge, and to a lesser extent, the Cuba.

The Neroli was okay (smelled like 4711 to me) but lasted about 15 minutes.

The Dark Rose and 88 were kind of *meh* and just kind of smelled like, well, old roses.

Frankincense & Myrrh was again kind of okay but so many other things smell like this (and without being too sweet and cloying like this one).

I gave the Rose one to my wife and she seems to like it.

I agree with other comments about the Cuba...kind of smells like someone who's been drinking/smoking all night (in a good way if that's possible).

Overall I won't be ordering any of these colognes but it was certainly interesting to go through them all.

Just tried the Cuba, I have to say I quite like it. We'll see how long it lasts on me though. Seems like it's fading quick LOL.

Steve

Oxford & Cambridge = Caron Un Pour Homme = $15

I have to disagree Scentronic.

Oxford & Cambridge < Caron Un Pour Homme.

That tonka bean note makes a world of difference.

As for the price, even if it is 30 usd, it is still a good value. Still, both T&H and C&S have the best customer services I have found in the industry.

Is that the roses? I gave the Dark Rose and the Rose to my wife. The Dark Rose was really beautiful--deep and complex. My wife loved it. She just tried the Rose today and wasn't too impressed. She said that it doesn't compare to the Dark Rose and is kind of granny-like.

I got 88, Cuba, and O&C few months ago which made me buy 88. I just asked for samples of the others.
I wish they were a bit less potent.

Is that the roses? I gave the Dark Rose and the Rose to my wife. The Dark Rose was really beautiful--deep and complex. My wife loved it. She just tried the Rose today and wasn't too impressed. She said that it doesn't compare to the Dark Rose and is kind of granny-like.

Yes, and the Mimosa. The Mimosa I hear could be unisex.

Last edited:
R

rum

Frankincense & Myrrh was again kind of okay but so many other things smell like this (and without being too sweet and cloying like this one).

Just doing a bit of research and this thread caught my eye.

Wondering what other scents smell like Frankincense & Myrrh? I'm really interested in opinions on this one.

Wondering what other scents smell like Frankincense & Myrrh? I'm really interested in opinions on this one.

Not sure what you're going for, but QED's F&M soap smells almost exactly like C&S's F&M. So if you were interested in a soap/cologne combo, I'd check that out.

R

rum

Not sure what you're going for, but QED's F&M soap smells almost exactly like C&S's F&M. So if you were interested in a soap/cologne combo, I'd check that out.

Thanks, Evbo. I'm just curious as to what smells like it, generally.

Not sure I've seen QED this side of the pond, but I have obviously seen it on the forums, etc.

I tried the Czech & Speak today in Jermyn Street and it smelt ratehr nice. Samples ordered and should be with me soon.

Comme des Garcons Series 3 is based on incense--there are five different fragrances. I haven't tried them myself, but I generally like Comme des Garcons&#65294;Might be worth a try.

Great stuff...The only problem I have with CdG Incense is it has a very short lifespan on me. It's fantastic while it lasts, though. Messe de Minuit, on the other hand, is similar, but lasts much longer. While I slightly prefer Incense, I'd buy MdM because it lasts much longer.

Racquets by Penhaligon's is also very nice, and does remind me a bit of the above two frag's.

Steve

Comme des Garcons Series 3 is based on incense--there are five different fragrances. I haven't tried them myself, but I generally like Comme des Garcons&#65294;Might be worth a try.

Top Bottom