What's new

Anyone use a push reel lawn mower?

Just curious if any members are using the push reel lawn mower. I am moving from an apartment to a house within the next six weeks (if everything goes well). The new place has a pretty small yard (~.25 acres) so I don't think I really need a full gas lawn mower with all the noise, hassle and expense for such a small yard. I have read that reel mowers have come quite a long way. Anyone using one? A newer one, older one? How do you like it?

Any opinions would be great.

I've been using a new Sears reel mower on my small urban yard for 3 years. I just love it. It's one of those perfect, simple technologies. Every one who passes by when I'm mowing wants to talk about it. Some people even ask to push it, mowing my yard for me. :001_smile

The results are not quite as neat as with a power mower, so be prepared for that. Say, the yard looks just a little more rustic. Overlapping passes are mandatory. And it takes some pushing and pulling to do a good job around trees. It is more work.

I've been using a new Sears reel mower on my small urban yard for 3 years. I just love it. It's one of those perfect, simple technologies. Every one who passes by when I'm mowing wants to talk about it. Some people even ask to push it, mowing my yard for me. :001_smile

The results are not quite as neat as with a power mower, so be prepared for that. Say, the yard looks just a little more rustic. Overlapping passes are mandatory. And it takes some pushing and pulling to do a good job around trees. It is more work.

I'd agree with this assessment. I enjoyed using mine (don't have a need right now), and would consider one again when the need arises.

Don't have a yard anymore (try finding any grass in Osaka) but used to use a reel mower when I was feeling old school. It's the lawncare world's equivalent of the safety razor! :biggrin: The satisfying sound of the blades doing their work, no motor noise, no gas fumes, no electric cords to accidentally run over. What's not to like! :tongue:

Yep! I alternate the reel mower with an electric mower. I have a big yard, but it's alright if you keep on it... if the grass gets too high, the reel mower won't work..

My neighborhood has half-acre lots.The guy down the street uses one. It takes him the better part of three hours to do his lawn.

I like the green aspect of a push mower, but my time is valuable.

It's 14 acres here which takes two guys on riding mowers 3 hours to cut properly. A reel mower would be a continuous, non-stop process.

Manual reel mowers tend to be narrower than the typical gas powered push mowers so it will take more passes to mow. 1/4 of an acre is probably okay but it really depends on how your yard is shaped and how long you want to spend. Since a reel is push only, having longer runs is better than a yard with a lot of odd shapes requiring a lot of back and forth steps.

Getting a quality reel mower is key to success. I have been using a Brill Luxus 38 for the past 5 years and really like it. It makes cutting the grass fun as compared to the typical Briggs and Stratton deck mower. There a lot of positives:
  • very little noise
  • lightweight - can carry with one hand
  • small - can hang on the garage wall if you like
  • almost no maintenance required
  • no gasoline required
  • only in very thick grass is it as hard(er) to push than a deck mower
Works best for short crawling grasses like centipede and zoysia (which I have). Does not work well for tall fescue or any tall weeds that pop up in your yard.

Top Bottom