What's new

glycerine soap

Are glycerine soaps supposed to burn? I bought a couple of soaps to try out from classicshaving.com (rose and bay rum). Tried them both out and OUCH. Burning. Am i allergic?
:death:

Are glycerine soaps supposed to burn? I bought a couple of soaps to try out from classicshaving.com (rose and bay rum). Tried them both out and OUCH. Burning. Am i allergic?
:death:

it may be something about that manufacturer/retailer. I bought a cake of bay rum from that manufacturer and it BURNED:eek:. I ended up throwing it out. I haven't tried their rose soap for what it's worth. I've tried other glycerine soaps without a problem though.

If I were you, I'd try another retailer and maybe you'll have better luck.

Some glycerin soaps have this effect on gents. They tend to use high amounts of fragrance oils. Try cold pressed soaps or triple milled soaps. They tend to be more forgiving.

+1 to Austin's comments. EOs can really aggravate some skin types.

How long have you been DE shaving? Reason I ask is because I thought my glycerin soap was causing some problems, but it turned out to be my technique. When my technique improved, I went back and could use those soaps with no irritation.

Or...it could be a sensitivity.

I've been DE shaving for about 3 months and Straight Razor less than that. My technique isnt perfect yet but its pretty solid for beginner. I dont really get razor burn and nicks are minimal.

The burning actually starts before i even touch a blade to skin. Upon first lather after about 3 seconds.

If the burning was before the shave, then yeah, it's the fragrance oils reacting with your skin.

Understand, you may be just fine with a lot of different glycerin soaps, it's the fragrance oils ya gotta watch. I've had a searing burn from a Mama bear soap, and I gave it away, yet I still use three of her other scented soaps with a grinning, almost-maniacal glee.

Top Bottom