What's new

razor recommend for very heavy beard ??

The slant is supposed to be great for tough beards especially with a nice sharp blade...not nearly as fearsome as reputation suggests. Leisureguy recommends it in his book Gourmet Shaving as a very good second razor and I found it as just as easy to use as the HD after only a week into DE shaving. Both razors were easier for me to use with a sharper blade like a Feather than with the less sharp varieties which may tug enough to discourage him before he really gives it a chance. Just go slow, shorter strokes, light to no pressure. Of course, he will still need the patience for several passes to get a smooth shave...which it sounds like he may not have. :smile:

Last edited:
Slant. I've got one of the same type beards, and for whatever reason, it's actually the easiest razor for me to shave with. Gems do a great job, but I cut myself. I love all my Gillettes, but I have to work a lot harder with any of them than with the slant. I refuse to brag that I've never cut myself with the slant........ because if I do I'll open up an artery tomorrow morning. So pretend I didn't even mention that.

thanks guys,
not sure he would be into the learning curve of a straight. He does have some trouble sitting still. I wonder if he has given the fat boy a fair shake. But then I see him after he hasn't shaved for 2 or 3 days and I'm sure glad I don't have his beard. I'm going to suggest he tries a few different blades and some patience.

Ok, the reason I ask is because I have a shavette I got for Christmas and feel that the learning curve was not that bad. Don't know about a true straight though, but the shavette uses disposible blades, so no honing, stropping, etc. I have been DE shaving for a while now though, so that probably helps with the learning curve, at least with knowing the angle and pressure. I also have a vintage slant that I love. I'd say my hair is pretty thick individually, but my beard as a whole is probably about average. In either case, I'd have to agree with those suggesting a slant...

I am going to be the voice of dissent here. It's not so much the razor he is using as how he is prepping for his shave that is going to make the most difference with a heavy beard. Hydrating the beard is probably the most important thing before shaving. I would recommend he shave after a hot shower when the beard is softest and perhaps use a preshave oil under the lather. Let the lather penetrate the beard for a minute before shaving to further soften it and rinse the razor frequently during the shave. If this is done he can get a good shave with even a disposable (but a good DE and blade will help!:wink:)

I am going to be the voice of dissent here. It's not so much the razor he is using as how he is prepping for his shave that is going to make the most difference with a heavy beard. Hydrating the beard is probably the most important thing before shaving. I would recommend he shave after a hot shower when the beard is softest and perhaps use a preshave oil under the lather. Let the lather penetrate the beard for a minute before shaving to further soften it and rinse the razor frequently during the shave. If this is done he can get a good shave with even a disposable (but a good DE and blade will help!:wink:)

I'm going to have to disagree. I agree that prep is important, but I prep good and if I try and use a superspeed, I can't get a good shave at all. It pulls, skips, and isn't a close shave. A slant give me close to BBS all over and is very smooth shaving. If I had bad prep, the slant wouldn't give as good of a shave though.

I'm going to have to disagree. I agree that prep is important, but I prep good and if I try and use a superspeed, I can't get a good shave at all. It pulls, skips, and isn't a close shave. A slant give me close to BBS all over and is very smooth shaving. If I had bad prep, the slant wouldn't give as good of a shave though.

If this is the case I would take a long hard look at my technique once again.

proxy.php

+1. My experience and my views exactly.

At the end of the day, prep while crucial is only one part of the equation. The razor, the blade and shaving technique are the rest.

I cannot get a good shave from a superspeed love them as I do. I can get BBS easily and consistently with a slant. For my my slant is great. OC NEWs and OC Merkurs work well and GEMS are just top notch.

I very much agree from my own experience. Since this guy sounds a little more intensely hairy than average he may legitimately need a bit more extensive preshave prep (esp the hot towel method), a good moist lather, for me a little preshave oil/glycerin/Skinfood/Cornhuskers lotion/etc under the lather before first pass and even between passes works well, perhaps a postshave oil polishing pass, etc may markedly improve his shaves with any razor...including those performed with the much maligned Mach 3 and Fusion razors (which I still use from time to time with fine results). I've shown a few friends who have trouble shaving with disposables but absolutely zero interest in DE shaving the preshave prep and they've had great success with that simple addition to their regimen.

Still, even with proper prep I prefer a slant with a very sharp blade.

So, change my recommendation to a little more intensive preshave and between pass prep no matter what razor he uses. Then, if he is still interested in DE the slant may be the one to get.

Last edited:

Valid point. I would like to add that it may not be another razor you should be looking for but a different blade. IMO different razors can make a hugh difference but in the end the blade is more decisive especially when you are the proud owner of a hard to cut beard.

Top Bottom