What's new

Audible / audio book recommendations?

I've accumulated a bunch of credits with audible and need some good fiction for my commute & workout times.

The best recommendation I have for others is "Shantaram" - a really interesting story and the reader does a great job of projecting several different voices seemlessly.

Any recommendations?

Are you looking for entertainment? Literature?

Here's some preliminary recommendations: If youre looking for entertainment, check out Clive Cussler and Jonathan Kellerman.

Dave: I'm a huge audiobook nut, I've listening to hundreds if not thousands of them over the last 15 years, shoot me a PM if you are looking for anything specific.

Last edited:
This American Life.

You can check it out on NPR. Local times may vary, but its on weekends in the SF/Sacramento area. Also, you can check out the podcast to see if you like it. (The weekly show is available for one week after broadcast for free as a podcast)

I am addicted to books on CD. I have found the most important part of an audio book is the narrator. A great narrator can make a good book great and a crappy book good.

My favorite narrators are George Guidell, and Richard Ferrone.

Last edited:
Good thread. I have a nasty commute every single day. NPR is wearing thin.

Through work I end up with a bunch of business strategy work related crap and listen to those, they are wearing thin also.

Is the best path to download to ipod rather than purchasing a CD?

Last edited:
For those familiar with USENET, check out alt.binaries.mp3.audiobooks. I've found many interesting titles here over the years.

Put all of the MP3s for the book into an itunes playlist sort by the column that makes the most sense and enjoy on your ipod.

Easy as face lathering. :tongue_sm

For those not so familiar with USENET go here for a tutorial....http://www.newsgroupreviews.com/Tutorial.html

Although I can't pretend to have been through as many audiobooks as Tim, I've got a fair collection and enjoyed far more that I've copied/borrowed. It makes the monotonously flat, completely-lacking-in-interesting-scenery and often backed-up-for-miles drive between Cleveland and Indy just passably bearable. Off the top of my head, I've recently listened to a fantastic (yet long) Einstein biography, a whimsical piece of mind-rot by Augusten Burroughs, about half the Discworld series (highly recommended... and I typically hate sci-fi/fantasy genre), several about boating (Endurance, The Hungry Ocean, a couple I'm forgetting), both of Obama's books, "Manhunt" which is a truly enthralling account of the pursuit of JW Booth in the days following the Lincoln assasination...

Right now I'm enjoying "Notes from a Small Island" by Bill Bryson. Hopefully in anticipation of visiting said "small island" sometime in the near future.

I'm also looking forward to popping in my new copy of "Traitor to his Class..." by HW Brands. Its an FDR biography.

Is the best path to download to ipod rather than purchasing a CD?

My experience is that the ipod is best for stopping/restarting or fast forwarding back if you loose your spot.

With a CD, you run the risk of loosing your spot and it's more difficult to refind your place.

Plus, when I arrive at home I can take the ipod in to finish the story or chapter and don't need to sit in my driveway listening for the next 10 minutes!

Right now I'm enjoying "Notes from a Small Island" by Bill Bryson. Hopefully in anticipation of visiting said "small island" sometime in the near future.

I'm also looking forward to popping in my new copy of "Traitor to his Class..." by HW Brands. Its an FDR biography.

CastleCraver - Bryson's stories are great & his narration makes the funny scenes hilarious. I highly recommend "A Walk in the Woods" by Bryson. He tells about his middle aged attempt at hiking the Apalacian Trail. With his mild British accent he sounds perfectly standoffish or appalled when discussing setbacks and disappointments.

Highly entertaining.

CastleCraver - Bryson's stories are great & his narration makes the funny scenes hilarious. I highly recommend "A Walk in the Woods" by Bryson. He tells about his middle aged attempt at hiking the Apalacian Trail. With his mild British accent he sounds perfectly standoffish or appalled when discussing setbacks and disappointments.

Highly entertaining.

Thanks for the rec... I forgot to add that one to the list. Listened to it about a year and a half ago I think. I agree... it was very entertaining. :thumbup1:

Top Bottom