What's new

Potstickers

I love these little dumplings. Anyone have any good recipes, both for the dumplings themselves and for a dipping sauce?

Thanks!

I love these too!!! I first had them at a Japanese restaurant and they were da bomb. There are a couple brands that make them frozen and you can get them at Walmart. I don't remember if they are actually called potstickers or not. They are good frozen, but I'm sure home made would be much better. They come with dipping sauce too. I think it is just some sort of soy based sauce.

For dipping sauce, I generally just mix some soy, and some chili garlic sauce (rooster brand). You can also add a little teryaki if you want some sweetness.

Soy sauce
sesame oil
red rice vinegar

That's all you need for the sauce. For the dumplings themselves:

wonton wrappers
pork
garlic powder
green onions
water chestnuts

Mix it all up, wrap it up, deep fry it.

Taste Heaven.

They are a standard in Chinese restaurants around here. They come both steamed and pan fried. Delicious. I've never had them at a Japanese place. Do they do them differently?

The japanese serves them in the pan fried version. A good dipping sauce would be light soy sauce, chili oil and good chinese rice vinegar (the black kind, "镇江醋"). You may add grated garlic and ginger for the extra kick :)

The japanese serves them in the pan fried version. A good dipping sauce would be light soy sauce, chili oil and good chinese rice vinegar (the black kind, "镇江醋"). You may add grated garlic and ginger for the extra kick :)

I do this but also add a wee splash of balsalmic pear vinegar. Nom nom nom nom!!!!!! :biggrin:

Don't know for sure the recipe for the stickers themselves, but over the holidays had a VERY non traditional dipping sauce. Worchestshire sauce, teriyaki, balsamic vinegar, garlic and ginger. I suspect there was some dijon mustard in there too, but the host wouldn't acknowledge it!

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I love these little dumplings. Anyone have any good recipes, both for the dumplings themselves and for a dipping sauce?

Thanks!

I've made 100's of these from scratch using my trusty little wooden dowel, but I'll confess to converting to premade wrappers. They're round, thin, fresh, uniform, and a buck for a hundred, making them a no brainer for the hard part. One of the dirty little secrets is that many a high end restaurant will use them for their upscale ravioli dishes, as they obviate the need for a dough expert.

Filling
Pork. Should be a bit fatty. Pork butt (shoulder) works well. Have the butcher coarsely grind it or slice and whack until minced with two cleavers (lots of fun to do!)
Stir in minced ginger, garlic, shallot, scallion.
Add minced water chestnut (optional)
Add a bit of soy sauce and sesame oil.
Mix in a puck of tofu (lightens the mixture).
Put about a teaspoon in a wrapper. Apply cornstarch/water mix or egg wash to one half of the wrapper (you want a dry portion of the wrapper to press against a wetted part for a good seal).
Starting at one end, press about a 1/4" of the wrapper together, then continue, pleating the edges. This will take some getting used to, and there should be roughly seven pleats or so.
Repeat until you're out of stuffing.

Steam in bamboo steamer (placing them on a piece of lettuce or cabbage makes for easy retrieval) over boiling water for 8-10 minutes until just done.
Alternatively, heat a non-stick pan and film with oil (or cast iron, black steel, or aluminum, if you dare). Add dumplings, spacing them. Do not turn. Cook over medium heat 2-4 minutes (again, you'll have to get the hang of this) until the bottoms turn golden. Add 1/2 cup water or chicken stock. It will bubble like mad. Cover and continue to cook, trying your best not to peek, until the liquid evaporates, about 4-6 minutes. Transfer to plate. They should be crisp and golden on the bottom and steamy on top, with the meat just cooked through.

Dipping sauce
There are numerous, from a simple chili oil on up.
1T soy sauce
1T dark soy (sweeter and less salty)
1T sugar
1T Chinkiang black vinegar (Chinese balsamic, but you can use plain rice vinegar)
2T water or stock to thin
dash hot chili oil or pinch of hot chili paste
white pepper
pinch of szechuan peppercorns*
minced garlic, ginger, shallot, scallion, and cilantro
Stir and let stand

*Illegal in the states for many years. They add an odd, menthol like essence, and can numb your tongue.

Last edited:
I've made 100's of these from scratch using my trusty little wooden dowel, but I'll confess to converting to premade wrappers. They're round, thin, fresh, uniform, and a buck for a hundred, making them a no brainer for the hard part. One of the dirty little secrets is that many a high end restaurant will use them for their upscale ravioli dishes, as they obviate the need for a dough expert.

Filling
Pork. Should be a bit fatty. Pork butt (shoulder) works well. Have the butcher coarsely grind it or slice and whack until minced with two cleavers (lots of fun to do!)
Stir in minced ginger, garlic, shallot, scallion.
Add minced water chestnut (optional)
Add a bit of soy sauce and sesame oil.
Mix in a puck of tofu (lightens the mixture).
Put about a teaspoon in a wrapper. Apply cornstarch/water mix or egg wash to one half of the wrapper (you want a dry portion of the wrapper to press against a wetted part for a good seal).
Starting at one end, press about a 1/4" of the wrapper together, then continue, pleating the edges. This will take some getting used to, and there should be roughly seven pleats or so.
Repeat until you're out of stuffing.

Steam in bamboo steamer (placing them on a piece of lettuce or cabbage makes for easy retrieval) over boiling water for 8-10 minutes until just done.
Alternatively, heat a non-stick pan and film with oil (or cast iron, black steel, or aluminum, if you dare). Add dumplings, spacing them. Do not turn. Cook over medium heat 2-4 minutes (again, you'll have to get the hang of this) until the bottoms turn golden. Add 1/2 cup water or chicken stock. It will bubble like mad. Cover and continue to cook, trying your best not to peek, until the liquid evaporates, about 4-6 minutes. Transfer to plate. They should be crisp and golden on the bottom and steamy on top, with the meat just cooked through.

Dipping sauce
There are numerous, from a simple chili oil on up.
1T soy sauce
1T dark soy (sweeter and less salty)
1T sugar
1T Chinkiang black vinegar (Chinese balsamic, but you can use plain rice vinegar)
2T water or stock to thin
dash hot chili oil or pinch of hot chili paste
white pepper
minced garlic, ginger, shallot, scallion, and cilantro
Stir and let stand

Good Lord, this man is a genius! Perfect potstickers. Now I'm hungry. :tongue:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Good Lord, this man is a genius! Perfect potstickers. Now I'm hungry. :tongue:

I was hungry for gyoza and dim sun before, and now I want ravioli too!

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-jK37C4CxA[/YOUTUBE]

Jay, that recipe is awesome. I made some Gyoza over the weekend (which is why I started this thread) they were fine, but I can tell no where near as good as the recipes here. :smile: I had also cooked the pork beforehand because I was worried about it not getting done during the pan frying and steaming. But I am definitely going to check out that recipe.

Thanks all!

My old Japanese teacher made gyoza stuffed with cheese and with tuna salad (not in the same one). Heresy? They actually tasted pretty good.

I've made 100's of these from scratch using my trusty little wooden dowel, but I'll confess to converting to premade wrappers. They're round, thin, fresh, uniform, and a buck for a hundred, making them a no brainer for the hard part....

This is a really good recipe. I've been using the one from Americas test kitchen which is similar, except that it uses wilted napa cabbage and egg white to lighten, and no nuts. I'm going to try that Tofu idea, I haven't been completely satisfied with the fillings consistency lately.

Best recipe for sauce is very simple.

50/50 Japanese soy sauce and white rice vinegar.

If you want to "kick it up a notch," add a few drops of chinese chili oil (layu) for some heat.

You can also sprinkle some sesame seeds in the sauce to get some color/texture contrast.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Soy sauce is a thread unto itself. Stay away from the tasteless Kikkoman. some of the best are in hard to find, indecipherable bottles.

Two readily available brands are Koon Chun (their double black is good and their darker gold label is an excellent, top notch dark soy) and Kimlan, makers of a good value basic soy, numerous flavored and specialty soys, and a spectacular reserve.

For vinegar, there are lots of good red or white rice vinegars, but use this Chinese version of balsamic.
proxy.php

Top Bottom