What's new

Fragrance Oils?

I was diggin on ebay earlier trying to find some non-Forte Tuscany and I ran across some "fragrance oils", they were selling pretty cheap too. What caught my attention was the claim that they are uncut. What do you do with this stuff? slap in on like regular cologne or do you cut it with alcohol or something else? I went ahead an bought the Tuscany version just for the heck of it since it was only $5 shipped for a half ounce or so. Now im wondering what to do with it when it gets here (given that it actually smells like Tuscany, or something that I like) cause I know that these oils can be STOUT since a ex-gf of mine used to make candles.

BigNick73 said:
I was diggin on ebay earlier trying to find some non-Forte Tuscany and I ran across some "fragrance oils", they were selling pretty cheap too. What caught my attention was the claim that they are uncut. What do you do with this stuff? slap in on like regular cologne or do you cut it with alcohol or something else? I went ahead an bought the Tuscany version just for the heck of it since it was only $5 shipped for a half ounce or so. Now im wondering what to do with it when it gets here (given that it actually smells like Tuscany, or something that I like) cause I know that these oils can be STOUT since a ex-gf of mine used to make candles.

I think we're talking about the same thing... ;) If so, my wife (who makes soaps, lotions and candles all the time) gets these same types of fragrance oils all the time. You do have to be SOMEWHAT careful though, as some of her oils are only good for candles, etc... while others are okay for lotions, soaps, etc... I'm assuming the ones only good for candles, etc. would be irritating to the skin, etc.. As far as "cutting" it, basically if you wanted the scent of the oil straight you could just cut it with some cosmetic grade alcohol (i.e. SD-40) and water... That would be the simplist form.... You can also cut other things into it, for example surfacants, preservitives, lubricants, humectrants, emmolients, etc...

In a pinch, if you have a hard time finding SD-40, if it's just for yourself you can just take a trip to the local liquer store and pick up a bottle of Everclear... It's almost pure grain alcohol and works perfectly.

As for the conectrations, you'll have to experiment to get the exact mix your looking for, but as a general guide:

parfume 15-30% oil in a 90-95% SD-40 and 5-10% water base

toilet water 4-8% oil in a 80-90% SD-40 and 10-20% water base

cologne 3-5% oil in a 70% SD-40 and 30% water base

Hope that helps!

I would not recommend using Fragrance Oils straight on the skin... they will eat through plastic and destroy the varnish on wood furniture. :eek:

But you can make a cologne with them easily! Take 1 cup of high proof vodka and mix with 1 cup of distilled water. Add your fragrance in small amounts (drops) untill you get the strength of cologne that you are looking for. Your fragrance will separate if it sits for a long time, so put this in a glass bottle with an atomizer and just shake each time before you use it...... Voila! Homemade Cologne!

Sue (Mama Bear)

vodka....really? :blink: i am not doubting a shave soap master but i had no idea. would the vodka get funky in the bottle or does it stay stable since it is distilled?

s~s

soulshine said:
vodka....really? :blink: i am not doubting a shave soap master but i had no idea. would the vodka get funky in the bottle or does it stay stable since it is distilled?

s~s

Yup... Vodka or Everclear! :tongue: I use perfumers alcohol which is ridiculously expensive (It is illegal to sell products that use drinking alcohol) But the vodka is what preserves and stabilizes it. All Colognes have a large quanity of alcohol in them and this will evaporate once you have applied it... . You want to use the cheapest and highest proof you can find... everclear is actually better, but harder to find.

Nick,
All very good adivce here. As Sue pointed out, F/O eats thru finishes, so be careful. Write the seller and ask if the oil is cosmetic grade or manufacturers grade, some are definatley not for use on your skin.

As far as alcohol; for home use "only" you could use Everclear but it should really be 200 proof SD alcohol from a cosmetics supplier. The use of vodka or Everclear is illegal for sale and is governed by the ATF.

Have fun experimenting!
Sue

Thanks for the info! I'll have to pick up a pint of everclear when the oils arrive. It's pretty easy to find it here, most liqour stores carry it.

well got em in today. The tuscany smells pretty darn close to the real stuff, maybe a little off but I hear its gota set up for a while. Mixed the 1/3oz oil with 4oz everclear and 1oz water. Now just gota wait a month and see what it turns out like.

BigNick73 said:
well got em in today. The tuscany smells pretty darn close to the real stuff, maybe a little off but I hear its gota set up for a while. Mixed the 1/3oz oil with 4oz everclear and 1oz water. Now just gota wait a month and see what it turns out like.

You will want to shake these up every day for a few weeks. It will blend better for you.... if this is too strong you can add more water, just keep more alcohol than water in your mix for preservative.

Sue (Mama Bear)

Top Bottom