What's new

I need a really good Thermos

I'm looking for a really good Thermos. I know some probably work better than others, and to be honest I've always just used whatever I could find at wal-mart or wherever...

I'm not sure if there have been any real innovations in thermos technology over the last several years, but I thought if anyone knew, it would probably be you guys. :biggrin:

Any recommendations?

To me it seems that thermos's have actually gotten worse over the years,the stainless liners most have now just don't seem to hold the heat near as well.
On that note I really like the Bodum glass lined thermal pitcher that is sold at Target.Keeps my coffee hot for about 6 hours.

I don't know if you can still find them, but the actual Thermos brand "Vacuum Bottle" with the silvered glass vacuum bottle are the absolute best. Just don't drop them. I still have my plastic shelled, glass vacuum bottle thermos from the eighties.

You warm the bottle with hot water first, then pour in your coffee, soup or whatever. It stays warm for hours.

Oh I'm picking out a thermos for you
not an ordinary thermos for you
but the extra best thermos you can buy
with vinyl and stripes and a cup built right in

I'm picking out a thermos for you
and maybe a barometer too
and what else can I buy
so on me you'll rely
a rear end thermometer too

and what else can I buy
so on me you'll rely

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I saw a glass-lined vaccuum bottle at the store the other day, and it was relatively inexpensive ... I'm pretty sure it was a genuine THERMOS brand, but don't quote me on that.

Unfortunately, the outer shell looked really cheap and flimsy, so I passed on it.

The big ugly green ones are about the most solid you can get for a portable thermos. It's the original design (if I remember rightly the patent number is some ridiculously low number) and holds heat well, just make sure to pre-heat it as there's a decent amount of mass.

If you're looking for an at-home coffee carafe then I'll second the Bodum suggestion, great quality stuff.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys! And the chuckles. :001_smile

I think I'm going to go with one of those spiffy Nissan ones, they seem to get pretty good feedback.

The big ugly green ones are about the most solid you can get for a portable thermos. It's the original design (if I remember rightly the patent number is some ridiculously low number) and holds heat well, just make sure to pre-heat it as there's a decent amount of mass.

If you're looking for an at-home coffee carafe then I'll second the Bodum suggestion, great quality stuff.

I think your refering to Stanley. If thats the case then yes these things are the best. I work outside 9 months out of the year and I love my Stanley. Iced tea in the summer, hot tea in the colder months. You can usually find them at walmart. The one with the slender top, it has a push down top to open and close, is no good. One worker had one and constantly complained about the top leaking and the cup being too small. The other is just your typical screw top, and works very nice. Runs about $25 or so.

I've had the same one for years now. It has fallen off the truck numerous times and hasn't broken yet. Although it does have a few dents in it. (its made of metal, mostly). The key to keeping it really hot though is priming it with hot water before you put in your beverage. Honestly, though I don't even think its totally necessary. Also if its exposed to cold temps (ie. it sits in the back of the truck all day). It will cool off, but shouldn't get cold either.

Also keep in mind if your putting coffee in it, make sure the coffee is hot. Most coffee makers don't heat up the water very hot at all. Good excuse to buy a french press if you don't have one yet. Sorry for the long post, as you can see I love my stanley thermos. Guys at my work also love theirs.

I've got a couple of the ones from zojirushi models...best ever!

When living in Alaska, I accidently left one (Tuff Slim model) in my truck after getting to work in the morning. Got busy and forgot about it until I got in my truck to go home that night (9hrs later). Got home and was still able to have a steaming cup of coffee. Oh, the high temp that day was -10F.

Need I say more?

My favourite was Gott, and has been long discontinued, though I still have two, in different sizes. When Rubbermaid bought Gott, they didn't retain the vacuum bottles, only the coolers. I have never forgiven Rubbermaid for this. :mad:

Anyway, the original Gott line was a Zojirushi product, so I went looking to see if Zojirushi had introduced anything similar lately, and it seems they have. This is the closest I could find to what I had. The design is not quite as elegant (I don't like the handle design as much,) though the spout looks like it may be better. And there is no longer a strap for shoulder carrying.

As my old Gotts are getting a little long in the tooth, I may have to check out this new product.

and what else can I buy
so on me you'll rely

Holy sh*t, that cracked me up ... ! :biggrin:

What's always amazed me about Thermos's....you put in hot stuff, it stays hot. You put in cold stuff, it stays cold. How does it know?

Ahh, man. Now I'm all confused.
This Thermos looks pretty sweet too, and some seem to get better results with it than the Stanley... :frown:

proxy.php

What's always amazed me about Thermos's....you put in hot stuff, it stays hot. You put in cold stuff, it stays cold. How does it know?
reminds me of that joke, where the punch line is "2 cups of coffee and a glass of iced tea"

Top Bottom