What's new

What is a "good" Gin?

The thread about Gin and Tonics birthday prompted me to try one the next time I went out. I did, and I liked it! I usually don't like that kind of drink (I'm more of a stout/porter or scotch person) but it was very interesting.

I was wondering, what's a good Gin that I can buy that's good to mix with tonic. Also, are there quality Tonic waters that make a difference in taste?

As far as gin goes, I would vote for Bombay Sapphire...it isn't too expensive, and is very tasty (when mixed).

I have found that the cheaper (store/generic brand) don't really get the job done. Schweppes and Canada Dry are always good choices.

Also, make sure you squeeze a little lime into the mix!

Last edited:
I'm not a huge gin man, but if I drink it with tonic or in a cocktail, I tend to go for something like Bombay Sapphire. If I drink it on it's own, or with a slice of cucumber or some ice, I like Hendrick's.

I suppose one would first have to determine if you were looking for a 'premium' (i.e. overpriced) spirit, or merely something that is subjectively good tasting. Funny thing is, Gin was originally created to mask the bad taste of poor quality spirits, but has since become the new hotspot of spirit innovation as Vodka begins to fade from the limelight.

I used to be a fan of Bombay Sapphire due to it's cleaner taste than most, but lately find myself leaning towards Plymouth (slightly salty - good for olive martinis) or Hendricks (cucumber infused). I've tried the Tanqueray - both regular and Ten variety - and didn't think they warranted the cost.

As for the tonic itself, yes brand does make a difference here too. Schweppes has always been my favourite, with Canada Dry also not too shabby (though a little sweet for my taste).

Cheers!

The thread about Gin and Tonics birthday prompted me to try one the next time I went out. I did, and I liked it! I usually don't like that kind of drink (I'm more of a stout/porter or scotch person) but it was very interesting.

I was wondering, what's a good Gin that I can buy that's good to mix with tonic. Also, are there quality Tonic waters that make a difference in taste?

+1 on the Bombay Sapphire, Tanqueray 10 is tasty, Tanqueray Rangpur Lime is good, but you HAVE to like limes. I find that if I make a G&T with the Rangpur there's no need to squeeze a lime in there. Also Rouge brewing out of Oregon is into the boutique liquor business now and their gin is outstanding albeit a little pricey at $45 for 750ml.

Thanks guys. I see that Bombay Sapphire is about 20 bucks more or less. I'll go pick some up, I'm sure they have it at Specs (man I love that store.)

I did notice this: it was my first G&T, but I definitely felt the effects of alochol after only two drinks. Now I'm not a big drinker, but two drinks, and a buzz?:confused:

IMHO, the Bombay Sapphire might be a little herbal-strong for the neophyte, but don't let me scare you away from it. Its a good general-purpose Gin, mixes well in highballs and makes a passable martini if you've got a good vermouth and actually use it. I'd personally recommend Tanqueray or Gordon's if you've never had gin before (they're both totally ubiquitous) -- or absolutely the Boodles if you can find it.

I like Bombay and think it is suitable for "starter" but pleasant gin. As far as Amsterdam goes, I think it is actually New Amsterdam, but I may be wrong and both may actually exist. What I have at home, IIRC, is New Amsterdam. It has some lemon notes, but that is well balanced and the spirit is pretty clean.

I agree that Hendricks is great, and is my favourite, but may be wasted on gin & tonic. As I said in the other thread, I like it as a very dry martini (with good vermouth) and two slices of cucumber ... one slice for the glass, one for garnish on the rim. Very cold on a hot day .... mmmmmmmmmmmm.

Bombay Sapphire.
Hands down the best, smoothest, refreshing and best value for the money gin out there.

My go-to for martinis, with either the standard pimento olive, or a garlic/jalapeno stuffed one.

I on both sides of the spectrum I like Saphire and Gordon's. Tanq didn't really do it for me, and I havn't had the opportunity to try Boodles or Hendricks due to the very Francocentric provincial liquor comission in Quebec. (Hendricks is available, but oddly enough only near Quebec city)

I like Bombay and think it is suitable for "starter" but pleasant gin. As far as Amsterdam goes, I think it is actually New Amsterdam, but I may be wrong and both may actually exist. What I have at home, IIRC, is New Amsterdam. It has some lemon notes, but that is well balanced and the spirit is pretty clean.

I agree that Hendricks is great, and is my favourite, but may be wasted on gin & tonic. As I said in the other thread, I like it as a very dry martini (with good vermouth) and two slices of cucumber ... one slice for the glass, one for garnish on the rim. Very cold on a hot day .... mmmmmmmmmmmm.

You are most likely correct on the New Amsterdam. Made by the fine folks form Gallo out in CA, I think.

I on both sides of the spectrum I like Saphire and Gordon's. Tanq didn't really do it for me, and I havn't had the opportunity to try Boodles or Hendricks due to the very Francocentric provincial liquor comission in Quebec. (Hendricks is available, but oddly enough only near Quebec city)

Francocentric but you can get Gordons'... :lol::lol::lol:

I agree Gordon's is pretty decent and certainly a good value ... especially if you get it at the Duty Free.

I usually go for Beefeater, a very traditional London Dry Gin. And I actually prefer "regular" Bombay to the more upscale Sapphire version.

Tim

Any gin you like is a good gin. I like seagram's, on the cheap end , and Beefeater, which is a little more expernsive.

Tim

As someone that has always loved gin martinis I have to admit that I cannot stand the so called smooth gins nor flavor infused gins. I want my gin to taste like you have been sucking on fresh juniper needles. So forget all the fancy smancy gins and give me Gilbey's any day.

Besides, it's mentioned in The Who's Quadrophenia ...

"I was waving me Gilbeys around in the air and singing in tune with the engine."

:thumbup1:

Top Bottom