What's new

Le Jardin Retrouve - Eau de Sandalwood

Guys, I just sprung for a bottle of this stuff. (I know it's an ebay listing but it's "Buy It Now" only, not an auction. Hopefully that's ok.) It's made in France with real Sandalwood oil. This looks like the Real Deal. It's also the 2nd frag I've bought blind -- hopefully I won't regret it.

Here's a review from Basenotes about it (and a large tip of the hat to member cvac for the link to this Basenotes thread! You're going to help me go broke. :tongue_sm):

Sharp alcohol the first 5 seconds but it settles down immediately. I get some lavender on the top notes and a little vetiver as well. The sandalwood (and what appears to be some cedar) starts to warm the air. There is also a spicy trace in the middle notes, very subtle though. At the dry down, lingers a woody accord with that same sandalwood note of the beginning among some amber mingled with another ingredient that I can not identify. This one stays very close to my skin for 7 or 8 hours. It is a quality artisanal fragrance. I wish it only had more projection.

Doesn't sound too bad, does it. And considering real Sandalwood oil is used, the price is reasonable (albeit not cheap). I'd be very curious to know if anyone's had any experience with this stuff.

Please let us know how you like it. I was very interested in that one but the price is a little steep for me to buy without trying it first (and steep in general). I hope it's good.

Please let us know how you like it. I was very interested in that one but the price is a little steep for me to buy without trying it first (and steep in general). I hope it's good.

I shall indeed report back. I don't like to buy frags w/out trying them first either but ... I think buying a bottle of both this stuff & the Yardley Sandalwood was the only way to try either of them. I don't think the Eau de Sandalwood is sold in stores; the Yardley one might be but if so it's scarce. And I don't have the patience (or the time!) to scout for them here. So I hope it's good, too! :blush:

OK, guys. This frag showed up in today's mail. Tried a tiny bit of it on my wrists tonight (it's a splash). And guess what it reminds me of?

Wait for it ...

Wait for it ...

Almost there ...

Ready?

Old Spice. :eek:

I kid you not. It reminds me of Old Spice. The Shulton original. That's my first, most immediate impression. My dad wore the stuff all the time. I have a nearly full bottle of the original Shulton product (from the 70s) and that's also what this stuff reminds me of: the 70s. I feel like I should be splashing this stuff on right after showering, shaving, & grooming my Mark Spitz mustache just before putting on my Qiana shirt, my leisure suit & heading out to Studio 54.

Ai yi yi. That's what I get for buying blind. Live & learn. :lol:

Too bad. Seems really bizarre that it would smell like OS if it's supposed to be a sandalwood cologne. Maybe the Yardley will be better.

Sorry it didn't pan out -- thanks for taking one for the team!

I consider it a Badge of Honor. :biggrin:

Too bad. Seems really bizarre that it would smell like OS if it's supposed to be a sandalwood cologne. Maybe the Yardley will be better.

Yeah, I can't figure that out either. I can detect absolutely no hint of Sandalwood. And just to make sure I wasn't crazy, I checked my bottle of OS last night against what I had applied to my wrist. I could detect very little, if any difference. :confused: I wonder if they may have put the wrong cologne in the bottle. Granted, the odds are against it but it might be worthwhile to at least ask the question.

Oh, they also sent along a free 15ml sample of their "Rose de Mai" perfume. A very nice, classic, simple Rose -- kind of reminds me of Penhaligon's Elizabethan Rose in its straightforward simplicity. At least that one smells the way it's supposed to!

Top Bottom