What's new

Merkur 38C- cant find a blade!

.. So i get this beautiful Merkur 38C from the wife for Christmas. So far the prettiest razor I've had (I also have a Futur and '61 Fatboy)
Exited to try it, I put a blade on it a few weeks back (a red crystal) and the shave is mediocre at best... no big deal.. getting the hang of it. This is the first razor I have that is NON adjustable, so if the blade feels like it pulls, no need to keep the same blade. So I switch to a Gilette 7AM blade.. same thing.. tugging my skin like a motha'!! irritation, redness. I am stupid enough to wait a few days and try the same blade AGAIN! thinking maybe by now something was going to be different!? same thing... ouch!

So this morning I am looking at my brand new 38c with brand new eyes and willing to give it yet another try... .. I put a brand new Treet Platinum blade in it... to my dismay after feeling like I was being raked by a fork, I have to remove the blade half-way through the shave and put it in my Fatboy so I can finish off my shave smoothly. !!

What gives? obviously blades are YMMV but can anybody out there recommend a blade for a 38 C? I have never had bad shaves on a razor with THREE blades in a row! I do have sensitive skin, but I use my futur on 1 to 1.5 adj and I shave fine with it.. So I don't think the razor is too aggressive for me.

I have been placing the blade on the 38 C and then I screw the bottom until the blade is nice and tight in there... I believe that is all I have to do...

Any insight by those with more experience will be greatly appreciated.

I use a 38C as well. I recently discovered the Gillette 7 O Clock Sharp Edge blade sold by West Coast. Its my go to blade now.

I have tried all the ones in the sampler pack. Works very well in the 38C and my 59 Fatboy too. As you say YMMV. I am not sure if it is the same blade as the 7 AM blade you are referring to though. I believe there are different types of this blade by Gillette (green or yellow packaged). Might be worth a try if it is not the blade you are referring too.

Well, I also have a 61 fatboy, and a travel merkur, that has the same head as your 38c. I have told people I love the look of the 38 but have been told that the weight of the razor can be problematic. If you are pushing the same on the 38 as the 61FB, you will probably get the above mentioned problems.

One last thing, is the blade wavy? I saw this on a Mule once.

I have used the following blades in my HD:

Wal-Mart Personna
Derby
German Wilkinson
Feather
Merkur

The Personnas gave "good" shaves, the Derbys and Wilkinsons gave "really good" shaves, and the Feathers were amazingly smooth
and effective.:thumbup1: The Merkurs were like using a sharpened metal garbage can lid. Try the Feathers.

I just got a 38c and did find that the Derby's tugged a bit.

I've used both Red IPs and Yellow Gillette 7 O'Clock[edited to correct error] Sharpedges and they both gave great shaves, the Gillettes were even closer and smoother than the Red IPs.

I also tried the Feathers, and, while I got an amazingly close shave, I also got a few weepers and some irritation. Being a newbie, though, I need to try another Feather, cuz my technique wasn't as good then.

Good luck...it's a great razor!

Oh, and make sure that the blade angle is correct...since it's a bit heavier, there might be a tendency to have the handle angled too much to the floor.

jim

I think your blade angle is off.

I have some adjustables and some non-adjustables, and there is a noticeable difference in the angle i have to hold the razor.

Great advice everyone!

The 7 AM blades I have are in fact green. I believe I have some of the yellow ones in my latest sampler pack.. will try them.

Regarding the ANGLE, that is where I seem to have problems

Once I put the blade in and close the 2nd part on top and start screwing the bottom, I go all the way until I feel resistance and then I hear a small CLICK (sometimes) and the bottom feels tightly screwed. When I look at the blade inside the razor at that point the blade is BENT on the sides towards the edges of the blade...

Is this how it's supposed to be ? Maybe it's a matter of playing with the angle like silverkarn mentioned. Probably holding the razor flatter to the face?

Angle is key.

I don't take the time to bust out the protractor, but the 30 degree angle is a good starting point. Play around with it a bit until you feel the hairs pop instead of pull.

Well the 38C is my first and only DE razor. Still looking to buy another DE razor. But I must say that after trying a sampler pack--I have chosen the Feather brand. That blade is just far superior for my bush whack beard that I grow every morning.

Second to the Feathers where Derby.

I have been shaving with it for eight months now and I still love the Feathers :001_smile

Feathers are the only blades I use in my slant. I do find that you have to take a bit of care and align the blade as you tighten down the head. This razor also takes a very delicate touch; use the lightest pressure possible.
Keep at it. You'll get the hang of it.

You know, I was thinking try a Feather, Dorco or Derby and cork it but then I read you use the Futur at 1.5. Are Futurs like Gillettes -- low if milder? If so, work on technique (angle of attack, prep).

Yes, I use Derby Extra blades with my 38C and get very comfortable shaves. Also it should not feel like scraping. I wonder if you are accidentally applying pressure to the razor?

Red Pack Personas work best for me with the 38c. I love my Merkurs, and I also love my Gillettes, but I have a hard time switching back and forth between the two. The blade angle and the shape of the head is definitely different. I've only been at DEs for a couple of months, so it's probably experience level, but that may be what you're dealing with also.

if you're coming from vintage gillettes, i'd say blade angle is the culprit. the gillette shave is a much more vertical orientation compared to the merk.

do this, place the top of your merk perpendicular to your cheek with the handle sticking out at a 90 degree angle. now slowly bring the handle down towards the face until you feel the blade. you should be at about a 40 degree angle.

i don't know who originally made this composite, but i saved it from another B&B merk thread. this pic really brings it home and should help

I agree with earlier posters that the problem is in all likelihood not the blade but your technique in combination with the head on this razor. drandall's pictures should help here.

And indeed, the blade is supposed to bend when the head is screwed down tight.

Top Bottom