What's new

Shaving away from home

Merry Christmas everyone,

Just thought I'd sound off about a topic that surely has been discussed before...

I'm at the in-laws for a few days, and just got done shaving. I don't know what it is exactly, but shaving is kind of a drag here, or anywhere other than my den so far as I'm concerned. So many variables that we take for granted in our own homes are altered when we are in another environment: water quality, distance our faces are from the mirror, control over hvac-related issues, etc.

Anyway, just thought I'd complain. Thanks for listening!

Dave

I agree - I just got back from the East Coast and while I didn't experience a bad shave, it didn't feel the same - nontheless the Azor put in another 25 days (with the same blade mind you) and did a bang up job. I used Shave Secret and SCS Bay Rum With A Twist Shaving Stick for some excellent shaves....

i spent some time thinking about how to approach the travel shave and got pretty excited about it.

finding samples of things that id never used before, that of course would satisfy TSA, utilizing the travel tube from the group buy drandall set up.

i mailed out some blades that have yet to arrive and found a no name disposable at the local high end hotel spa.

again not the norm, but very fun to experiment!

For me the biggest thing I worried about when traveling to visit my daughter was getting the razor and stuff through the airport checkin. I had sent blades a few weeks earlier so I felt there would be no problem. But you never know about TSA.

As for the actual shave while on the road at my daughter's. No problem. Not the same as at home but I took along enough cream etc to do the job and even left a few there for future use. Unless my son-in-law get hold of them.

I did travel in June to a church conference and we were housed in a college dormitory. The water in the bathroom there was not hot enough. Oh, for a hot water pot. And the shelf where I had to put my towel and other stuff was small but I adapted. What made it really fun and enjoyable was the bunch of really older guys, like in their 70s & 80s, coming in and shaving with an electric or the current day cartridge razor. Some of them knew what I was using and some just stared at me like, "What is that contraption?" Of course I just shaved away like nothing was wrong.

Shaving while away from your own den can be managed if you just think about what you will have at your destination and then take the stuff you also think will make your experience as good as at home. Take your favorite cream or soap. Your favorite A/S and EDT. Your special traveling brush if you have it. There are all kinds of things you can do to make travel shaving fun and still get a great shave.

I have the solution for interrupted shaves, it is called a tac strip. File the nails that go into the concrete so it will sit flush on the floor. A few strips past the door way and after the first intruder, there will not be anymore, guaranteed.
If you are man enough, shave in the nude at other peoples houses. After the first interruption there will not be another. ( unless UR mom-n-law finds you sexy ) ewwwww

I find my out of town shave to be something I have to do vursus something I want to do, like when I am at home. I also think that water has a lot to do with that as well...

At my parents house, used the same setup as at home, Omega boar, 59 Fatboy, US personna, C.O. Bigelow, and my normal shave bowl.
Tore my face up. :mad:
The lather was not nearly as lubricating, and though it was BBS, I had 10-15 weepers, and the Pinaud Bay Rum burned like a mother. :bayrum2:
Was not nearly as close as I can get at home, I could do with another shave today.

Water is probably the culprit, I have city water at home, with plenty of chlorine smell and taste, while my parents have well water.

If you are man enough, shave in the nude at other peoples houses. After the first interruption there will not be another. ( unless UR mom-n-law finds you sexy ) ewwwww

That cracked me up! I can't imagine what my mother-in-laws reaction would be- probably terrible embarrassed.

On the water quality thing: They use a water softener where I've been for the past 2 days, and the lather I've been getting is significantly better than I'm able to get at home, where I think I have pretty hard water. (QED Mocha Java stick used). Food for thought...

Anyone have tips for how to pack a still-wet brush? Only thing I know to do is put it in a plastic solo cup and make sure the cup stays upright as best as I can. Only thing I've ever heard recommended involves use of a spent rx container with holes in it. Don't think this would work too well.

Dave

When shaving somewhere else my biggest concern would be the time it takes to shave especially if your friends or relatives only have a single bathroom.

I headed to my parents house as well for the holidays but I have gotten better shaves. I suspect this may be due to their hotter water heater and city water. Great lathers, and smooth strokes. Still managed to nick myself a couple of times but it was smooth enough that I didn't even feel it. They have a full bath and a half bath so I just use the half bath to shave. I have stayed over at family's houses that did have only one bathroom and I just resorted to either late night or early morning shaving.

I have been stopped a couple of times in airport security. I have blades that I leave at my parents so that is not the problem. However, security sometimes gets a little antsy with my Feather AC for disposable straight blades. After convincing them that it will not cut anything, they look and look for blades usually sending my carryon baggage back through xray. Oh well, rather have them careful.

You're right, it's never the same as it is at home. Me and the Missus are going away for a week tomorrow and i've just finished packing. The dopp kit is... acceptable. I have a small washbag, but i've managed to get in a Merkur HD, my Vulfix travel brush in a tube, a pack of Derby's, a styptic pencil and a Palmolive shave stick all among the usual shampoo, shower gel etc.

The only thing i'm going to miss is the option for having a cream/soap/AS/cologne rotation (I'm going to stick with the Palmolive soap - Dunhill London AS balm - Dunhill London EDT all week), and the fact that i'm not going to take any talcum powder with me as the bottle is so bulky.

One thing I will say is the Trumper sample bottles of their Skin Food are really handy! I finished the last of my Coral food last week and I rinsed out the bottle and have refilled it from my large bottle of the Lime scent to take with me if I need a little moisture pick-me-up.

Anyone have tips for how to pack a still-wet brush? Only thing I know to do is put it in a plastic solo cup and make sure the cup stays upright as best as I can. Only thing I've ever heard recommended involves use of a spent rx container with holes in it. Don't think this would work too well.

Dave
One of the joys of combining DE shaving with business travel :) I pack it in an empty OTC pill bottle which is larger than the brush. I cut a hole in the bottom for the brush handle. The container is large enough that a damp brush will dry and not get anything else in the bag wet.

A few seconds with a hair drier on low will dry the brush fairly well before you pack it up

One of the joys of combining DE shaving with business travel :) I pack it in an empty OTC pill bottle which is larger than the brush. I cut a hole in the bottom for the brush handle. The container is large enough that a damp brush will dry and not get anything else in the bag wet.

A few seconds with a hair drier on low will dry the brush fairly well before you pack it up

That sounds like a very good idea- I'll give it a try..

Dave

My job keeps me away from home on a regular basis. And I have to agree that the whole process becomes much less fun when out of the house.:redface:

I like the idea of different samples to spice up the process.:lol:

I've gotten into the habit of bowl lathering and everything else is a little less than exciting - I'll be looking for a small bowl that will fit in my Dopp.:001_smile

WRT TSA - I usually ship the blades with my electronics tool kit which also can't pass a TSA carry on inspection. For emergency use I usually throw in a couple of Wal-mart on sale disposables.

Where I live I have extremely hard water, so wherever I travel to the water quality is undoubtedly better. I typically get better shaves on the road.

Top Bottom