What's new

How many shaves is a Merkur blade good for?

Hi,

I have only just begun shaving using a Merkur Futur with Merkur blades and I would like to ask how many shaves are the blades good for?

I have a pretty thick beard and I think that will probably make a difference..?

Thanks.

I personally do not like the blades that came with my Merkur....the Merkur blades I switched to Derby but I change blades after about 4 uses. Get you a sampler pack from Westcoast Shaving to find what suits you the best!

Not even good for one, in most people's opinion.

Bin 'em and try something better.

I suspect a lot of people give up on DE shaving very quickly, for no other reason than their first experiences with Merkur blades.

Zero.

OK, just kidding... the Merkur blade is not one of my favourites, though I admit to using it very early on, in a Merkur 38C. In reality, if I recall it was good for about 2-3 shaves, and my beard is not super-heavy or thick.

After shaving with the Merkur blade, I next tried a Lord, then a Wilkinson (German); the Wilkinson was MUCH smoother and sharper than the Merkur. The Feather was next and that has proved to be the best, with the Astra Superior my 2nd choice.

How many shaves? For me, zero. Merk blades just don't do it for me either.

Ditto on getting a sample pack and seeing what works best for you. Blades are very YMMV, so you'll need to experiment a bit. Boardmembers letterk (www.westcoastshaving.com) and dridiot both offer sample packs with all sorts of different blades. PM them or search here for more info.

edit: as an fyi, most of the guys report getting 3-5 good shaves out of whatever blade(s) work(s) best for them. my experience concurs.

Many folk (like me) give up on Merkur blades because they blame their lousy beginning shave on them. After going through the Feathers, Derbys, IPs, etc., I re-tried the Merkur blades left over in the back of the bathroom cabinet, and Surprise! They are actually pretty good blades. One of them will now last me a whole week. :smile:

aaaaah man.

When I bought my Merkur I also bought a pack of Merkur Blades.... :(

I don't really want to try the Feathers as from what I have read they are deadly sharp and I'm very new to using DE blades.

Also I live in the UK and I know the local store sell Wilkinson blades so maybe I will give them a try.

Thanks for the info.

aaaaah man.

I don't really want to try the Feathers as from what I have read they are deadly sharp and I'm very new to using DE blades.

My first DE shave was with a feather. Don't worry too much.

And why not give the Merkur a try first....they might just "do it" for you.

I think is a general and accepted thought about Merk blades: awful?!

They made nice razors (Futur, Progress, 23 and so on...) but i think they should buy new grinders to the factory to produce new blades.

That said...do i hear some lonely knight defending his Dame Merkur blade?!:smile: Respect to the braves!!

My father use them...but he is a Commando!!!

My first DE shave was with a feather. Don't worry too much.

And why not give the Merkur a try first....they might just "do it" for you.

I actually found them to be very good. But that's comparing them to a Mach 3 cartridge lol.

Ditto from my experiences. I too bought some "extras" and will probably try to swap them on the forum at some point. Some people to like them, but not me. I would second the Derby's. That was the first one I tried where I got the "wow" factor after a great shave. I've tried others since, including Feathers, but keep coming back to Derby's. Could be because I bought a couple hundred for around $15 shipped!

I think Merkur blades, while not my personal favorite, are perfectly capable, it's just that many guys who didn't know how to shave properly yet started with Merkur blades and blamed their initial bad shaves on the blade.

As you've read here many times, YMMV (Your mileage may vary). Some people swear by a particular blade while many others swear AT it. You can find as many detractors for a blade as supporters. I've hated a blade, gone back to it several months later, and liked it. The time of year (winter/summer) may have some effect.

The encouraging part is that after a few months of trying different blades (assuming you go with a sampler pack, which is highly recommended), you'll begin to figure out what works for you, so that you can still experiment some, but know that you have a fallback best blade when you need it. Luckily there are lots of different brands to fiddle with!

I think Merkur blades, while not my personal favorite, are perfectly capable, it's just that many guys who didn't know how to shave properly yet started with Merkur blades and blamed their initial bad shaves on the blade.

That is a valid point. I'd be willing to give them another try, but I won't be buying any to do so. :biggrin:

As you've read here many times, YMMV (Your mileage may vary). Some people swear by a particular blade while many others swear AT it. You can find as many detractors for a blade as supporters. I've hated a blade, gone back to it several months later, and liked it. The time of year (winter/summer) may have some effect.

The encouraging part is that after a few months of trying different blades (assuming you go with a sampler pack, which is highly recommended), you'll begin to figure out what works for you, so that you can still experiment some, but know that you have a fallback best blade when you need it. Luckily there are lots of different brands to fiddle with!

I was about to ask what does YMMV stand for lol. Thanks.

I think ill stick with the Merkurs for a bit. Although the Derby's look tempting :)

In my experience, I found Merkurs to be odd blades, and I used them for a couple of months.
1'st shave - 2/10.
2'nd shave - 6/10.
3'rd shave - 3/10.
4'th shave - ow. Ow. OW. In the bin after a single downward stroke.

In addition to that I found them overpriced (for DE blades anyway) and massively inconsistent. The poor first shave I can forgive since I get that with a lot of blades, but the bizarre lifespan and high price means I am not a fan. I'd rather use a Derby once and chuck it.

Top Bottom