What's new

Indulgence of the Night 9/25 - 10/1

Workin' like a friggin' dog this week. :cursing: Had some spaghetti with home made meatballs that I made over the weekend. Superb comfort food, and ready in a flash.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Grilled chicken enchiladas with mole sauce. I've never had a decent version in any restaurant, anywhere. Had to learn to do it myself.

Ouch,

What's the problem with the restaurant ones, out of curiousity? The sauce, or the chicken? I have not really liked any I've had either. Usually the sauce was between ok and great, but it was over tortillas wrapped around a pile of tasteless chicken. And usually with queso fresco than my cheese-loving self would like.....

ouch

moses said:
Ouch,

What's the problem with the restaurant ones, out of curiousity? The sauce, or the chicken? I have not really liked any I've had either. Usually the sauce was between ok and great, but it was over tortillas wrapped around a pile of tasteless chicken. And usually with queso fresco than my cheese-loving self would like.....
Bingo! You just said it.

I love when my wifes grandmother makes chicken with mole. Unfortunately the restaurant is probably just putting the sauce over some boiled chicken...just isn't the same..

boboakalfb said:
I love when my wifes grandmother makes chicken with mole. Unfortunately the restaurant is probably just putting the sauce over some boiled chicken...just isn't the same..

I have actually had roast chicken with mole at a Mexican place in LA that was quite good. The thing I have never had be good was chicken enchiladas. Of course, they might have been good at that same Mexican place in LA, I only went there once.

Part of the problem now is living in NYC. Likewise, Ouch, being a Jersey Boy (at least that seems to be were he is currently located), would not have immediate access to the best Mexican this country has to offer....

Swordfish steaks
grilled sweets
escarole
Macum apples
Dinders decaf Columbian

Last edited by a moderator:
My two year old and I had a huge plate of porridge with brown sugar for breakfast. No luxury food, but I sure enjoyed watching him eat with so much pleasure! (quote: 'nog havermout!' - 'more porridge!') :smile:

Today's indulgence is home made Ropa Vieja with fresh french bread and I haven't decided whether it's going to be a Merlot or a Cabernet this evening..one of the two..

ouch

Ah, "old clothes"- a classic dish.

As for the wine, I suggest the B&B method of selection- have both!

Scotto said:
Workin' like a friggin' dog this week. :cursing: Had some spaghetti with home made meatballs that I made over the weekend. Superb comfort food, and ready in a flash.

Scotto,

How do you do your meatballs?
I'm planning on making some tomorrow, with hot italian sausage, pork and veal. You seem like a very good cook and I'd appreciate any advice.

Tonight, I made a big batch of marinara. I make about a gallon and at time and freeze it, I give a bit to my friends and family as well. In addition to that, I made some chicken parm. Came out very well. For those of you who make your own marinara, I'll be so bold to offer up a piece of my recipe, but many of you may already know it, After your simmered the sauce on the stove for about an hour or so, pour the sauce into a cake pan or roasting pan and bake it, uncovered at 450 for about 20 minutes, it will give canned tomatoes a wonderful fresh roasted taste and it also brings out the natural sweetness of the tomatoes. I like it, and I hope maybe someone else will too.

After work, I had a heck of a day, so I poured a snifter full of my favorite bourbon, Wild Turkey Tribute.

I keep the meatballs very simple. 75% freshly ground chuck (I grind it myself) and 25% ground pork. Seasoned with lots of parmesan, some garlic, parsley, an egg. I also soak some bread in buttermilk and work that in - adds moisture and a very subtle tang that is very welcome and no one will ever know about. Use a gentle hand when forming them or they will become rocks.

Just to finish up last week. Sorry, no pics but I made Steak Tips last night for the Bears game. Freaking outstanding! I'd forgotten how easy they are to make and how good they are to eat.

Marinated them in Italian dressing overnight. Secret is to add a little BBQ sauce with that and you're good to go.

TimmyBoston said:
Scotto,

How do you do your meatballs?
I'm planning on making some tomorrow, with hot italian sausage, pork and veal. You seem like a very good cook and I'd appreciate any advice.

Tonight, I made a big batch of marinara. I make about a gallon and at time and freeze it, I give a bit to my friends and family as well. In addition to that, I made some chicken parm. Came out very well. For those of you who make your own marinara, I'll be so bold to offer up a piece of my recipe, but many of you may already know it, After your simmered the sauce on the stove for about an hour or so, pour the sauce into a cake pan or roasting pan and bake it, uncovered at 450 for about 20 minutes, it will give canned tomatoes a wonderful fresh roasted taste and it also brings out the natural sweetness of the tomatoes. I like it, and I hope maybe someone else will too.

After work, I had a heck of a day, so I poured a snifter full of my favorite bourbon, Wild Turkey Tribute.
I will have to try the roasting technique the next batch of sauce I make...when making the meatballs just sear them and then let them cook in the sauce...they will stay moist and will impart great flavor to the sauce...but I am assuming you already knew that...

Let us know how it turns out.

Top Bottom