What's new

help fix my ss

I was given a late 40's (no date code) ss yesterday that has a strange problem. When you turn the tto knob it turned and screws out of the handle. Will not drop out, but you have to push it back into the handle to open the doors. Now when you tighten it up it screws in and secures the doors fine. I shaved with it this morning, no problems with the blade being secure.

Anyone ever had one do that?

Fuzzy

Bunny, I have had one do that, but haven't fixed it, yet. I have no idea how repair, in fact I was gonna ask that same question soon enough.

sounds like something is worn out or corroded inside the handle, maybe try some mineral oil or something? I remember seeing that tip in a post about adjustables, not sure of it's value here though.

My immediate thought is that there is a small metal ring that goes around the post that keeps sliding out and it is supposed to seat into a groove thats in the razor handle post. But I'd have to break the razor apart to confirm that.

My immediate thought is that there is a small metal ring that goes around the post that keeps sliding out and it is supposed to seat into a groove thats in the razor handle post. But I'd have to break the razor apart to confirm that.

Then next question is how to break it apart. I looked in the handle and it does not appear to have a screw to use to take down.

Sounds like the left handed screw inside the handle is missing.

proxy.php

I'm willing to bet Bob has the answer as I had the same issue with an SS some time back and this was the fix. Great job Bob!!!

If the screw is missing should I not see a hole in bottom of the shaft that it screws in to.. when I look into the knob all I see is a solid piece.

Maybe the issue is that your SS is a counterfeit Vintage Gillette Superspeed from China. Its exterior crafted perfectly, but not the mechanics.

I got it figured out thanks guys... sometime in the past some heavy handed dolt has actually twisted the head off the screw... that is what it looked like when I got the knob off.. the razor is very useable as it is so will leave it alone.. thanks again for the help.

Fuzzy

I got my 40's SS apart. I still can't figure out whats wrong with it. I tried to take apart a red tip, but I cannot get the handle to come off.

I got my 40's SS apart. I still can't figure out whats wrong with it. I tried to take apart a red tip, but I cannot get the handle to come off.

I could be wrong about what is wrong but there is not screw in there to take out. So I am guessing it has been stripped out.. I shaved with it this morning it works fine.. so that is good enough for me..
good luck on yours.
Fuzzy

Hmmm... I received an SS that was starting to have that problem. I removed the screw and when I went to remove the handle, only the knob popped off. Now when I put it back together, it does exactly as wchnu described. Yes, I put the screw back in.

I don't think that it is supposed to come off. I would guess that there was supposed to be a retention clip keeping the knob inside the handle. When the knob turns it screws on a threaded rod attached to the linkages. If the knob is held in place, the threaded rod moves in and out to work the TTO. However, in this case, the knob turns and unscrews from the rod. The screw stops it from coming all the way off of the razor. However, because the knob is screwing out, it is not pushing up on the threaded rod activating the doors.

View attachment 30460

It is hard to tell through the corrosion, but there is an indented region on the knob that lines up with a ring on the handle. Perhaps the knob was inserted with a spring clip attached and then the handle was compressed making the ring we see on the handle.

Top Bottom