What's new

help fix my ss

I had to twist hard to get the knob off.. but it looked just like that pic. So I am guessing that since I can not put a screw back into it I will just have to use it as is... which is ok too. thanks for that pic and story. I think it may confirm what I was thinking.

Fuzzy

Here is the part cleaned up. Inside the handle tube, the ring is not compressed. However, there is a definite ring that is indented into the handle about .5 cm from the end. There is obviously something missing that used to hold the knob in place.

View attachment 30472

temporary solution:

I will eventually make it out to a hardware store to try to find the correct retention/snap ring. However, to fit the size needed might be difficult - they don't carry a large variety of sizes in these things.

Anyway, here is my temporary solution...

Clean up the groove on the knob and the inside of the handle as well as you can. The grove and slot were both completely corroded on mine. I had to use a dremmel to get the knob clean and I soaked the handle in Kaboom to get the groove clean enough to finish with q-tips. Kaboom may not be best for the finish/plating; however, this razor has very poor plating, and I am not worried about that.

I took a staple - an ordinary staple, and used a pair of round nosed pliers (like those used for jewelry) to turn it round and the same diameter of the grove. I then cut it so that it only went about 3/4 way around the groove. I put it on the groove on the knob, squeezed it back tight pushed it into the handle and snap. The knob is now back in place and functions properly.

A temporary solution, but it confirms the concept that there should be a retention/snap ring on that groove.

If you look close, you can see the staple sitting in the groove.

View attachment 30477

temporary solution:

I will eventually make it out to a hardware store to try to find the correct retention/snap ring. However, to fit the size needed might be difficult - they don't carry a large variety of sizes in these things.

Anyway, here is my temporary solution...

Clean up the groove on the knob and the inside of the handle as well as you can. The grove and slot were both completely corroded on mine. I had to use a dremmel to get the knob clean and I soaked the handle in Kaboom to get the groove clean enough to finish with q-tips. Kaboom may not be best for the finish/plating; however, this razor has very poor plating, and I am not worried about that.

I took a staple - an ordinary staple, and used a pair of round nosed pliers (like those used for jewelry) to turn it round and the same diameter of the grove. I then cut it so that it only went about 3/4 way around the groove. I put it on the groove on the knob, squeezed it back tight pushed it into the handle and snap. The knob is now back in place and functions properly.

A temporary solution, but it confirms the concept that there should be a retention/snap ring on that groove.

If you look close, you can see the staple sitting in the groove.

View attachment 30477

Maybe it was more of a band like the retaining band on the knob assembly or Merkur HD and Progress razors.
Cut a strip of steel, bend it around a metal bar of the proper size, then trim to length.

Top Bottom