What's new

Safety Razor Of the Week, 9/14-9/20 The Kampfe Bothers-Star Razor

The Kampfe Bothers-Star Razor

proxy.php

Circa 1884 Kampfe Brothers Star razor

In May 1880 Frederick and Otto applied for a patent on “new and useful Improvements in Safety-Razors.” This is the first use of the term “safety razor”. Trademarks filed in 1903 claimed use of the Star name and symbol since 1 June 1880.

proxy.php

First Kampfe safety razor patent. 15 June 1880, Frederick and Otto F. Kampfe

The Star used Henson's idea of a hoe-type razor with a wedge-shaped blade, basically a short segment (4 cm long by 2 cm wide) of a straight razor blade. The blade was held in place by metal clips and did not require a tapped screw hole. A distinguishing feature was the shape of the razor frame or casing, which functioned as a “lather-catcher.” The razor was less expensive to make than some of complex hoe designs subsequently patented by competitors

proxy.php

Models are classified by frame type.

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Circa 1880 Kampfe razor, blade, and tin.

Even before the first Kampfe patent expired in 1897 the Star razor was widely copied and sold in the U.S. and abroad – often labeled American Model. At that point Kampfe Brothers began to advertise more frequently, often including the statement "All Others are Spurious." They broadened their product line to include a variety of cased sets containing up to seven blades, razors with fancy handles such as rosewood or ivory, stropping devices, and shaving accessories.

proxy.php

Circa 1887 Kampfe razor, blade, and tin.
Early Kampfe razors were packaged in round lithographed tins in a variety of label designs.

This is one (below) of the most beautiful and very rare sets made by the Kampfe brothers in 1889 known as the Victorian Head Set. The set came complete with razor, strop handle, hone handle, blades, brush, shave stick and paste.

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php
proxy.php

The Star blade still required stropping prior to each use and occasional skillful honing. This spawned many patents on stropping and honing devices. The Kampfe brothers ultimately acquired over 50 patents on razors and stropping devices and "automatic" stroppers were included in their high-end razor sets. Over the years the Kampfe Brothers produced over 25 design variations of the Star wedge-blade safety razor.

proxy.php

Early, "Shave Yourself" Star razor advertisement.

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Circa 1902 Kampfe razor, blade, and tin.
Kampfe razors were packaged in rectangular lithographed tin.

The 1880 utility patent expired in 1897. In order to extend patent coverage, Frederick, Richard, and Otto Kampfe received a 7-year design patent for the tubular handle with a star pattern (1894) and a 14-year design patent for the lather catcher razor casing (1897).

The picture below is my small collection of Kampfe Brothers Star razors.
Note the tin litho cases that the blades came in.

proxy.php

I shaved with the razor that is shown above (assembled) which produced a decent shave but nothing like the shave I get from my more modern safety razors. It was passable but certainly not a BBS. I did get one small knick however this was the only one out of five shaves.
I found the balance to be way off as the head was much heavier than the handle, which made it difficult to control. Further difficulties were the difference in angle that was needed to shave. I had to hold the razor at a much more extreme angle as compared to the 44 to 45 degree angle used for the more modern razor which made it a little uncomfortable.
Finally, the need for honing and stropping made this razor less user friendly however I did enjoy practicing my skills.

If I were to recommend this razor, I would say yes, give it a try. If you have the chance, patience and time, by all means do give it a shot as (at least for me) it was a wonderful opportunity to experience a piece of history that has had a large part in making wet shaving what it is today.

Enjoy the shave!!!

Back to Saftey Razor Of The Week.

Great post! Love the nostalgia.
Didn't the Kampfe bros. razor inspire King C. Gillette to invent his safety razor?

love the kampfe. excellent choice to follow up after the double ring. i got the wedge blade on my 1888 kampfe shave sharp and enjoy it from time to time.

Absolutely gorgeous. Ray, your presentation is so wonderful. A visual history lesson. There's a fun book called "Time and Again", by Jack Finney, which I'm sure many on this site are familiar with, any way its about going back in time to downtown Manhattan at the turn of the century. Reading your entry this week is like a chapter in that book. This is high praise and well deserved. I look forward to your next entry. Regards.

Nice pictorial, Ray! I have this one:

proxy.php

have used it and enjoyed it. I say that anyone who comes across one of these beauties should give it a try with a modern SE blade.

Ray, A really great post; very enlightening. These are really gorgeous razors. I keep trying to score one on Ebay but I'm obviously just not bold enough in my bidding ("not bold enough" is sort of like "too cheap"). :001_rolle

You mentioned your "small" collection . . . I'd love to just get my hands on one, let alone all those beauties in your picture.

Thanks for sharing,
Regards,
Tom

Ray, great info. I've been meaning to look into these. I really like the look of the wooden handle model.

Ebay recently recommended a Kampfe Bros razor to me but I had to pass it up. It was the combination of $800 pricetag :w00t: and -1 seller feedback rating.

...Ray

They don't cost the same as in the 1880s in real dollars, but in figuring in inflation, they are often much cheaper!

Stars are the best. Personally, I would love to have the Cru-Steel lather catcher variety.

Top Bottom