What's new

Brush Suggestions

I have been given the go ahead to spend $100 on a new brush (thank you SWMBO). Anyways, I have a Shavemac 501 in finest, had a C&E BBB, and a couple of boar brushes. I mainly use soaps, but I do use creams from time to time. Since the B&BE is not avalible yet I have been eyeing a couple this Rooney style 1 size 1 (nice price) or this Simpson Duke #1. Any suggestions would be nice. Also does Kent have anything in the size and price ranges?

I can't offer you any suggestions for Kent brushes. I have the Rooney S1/S1 in Super with the faux ivory handle and give a hearty thumbs up for its purchase. It has soft, but firm bristles and produces great lather with soap or cream. It has shed only about a dozen bristles in more than a year of use. IMO it is hard to go wrong at that price point.

My typical recommendations are the Rooney 1/1 super or Simpson Duke 2 best.

However, I've seen mixed feedback on the Vulfix-Made Simpson brushes and would wait until there's more feedback on these before recommending them.

Kent's BK4 fits the bill. It's not terribly dense, but is pretty soft and luxurious. It runs about $70ish, depending on your source (Kent itself or auravita.com are two good options.) It's great for soaps as well as creams. The reviews here can elaborate.

For soaps the Rooney 1/1 is a good bet. You might also want to check on the Rooney 1/2 in Super. It should be within your budget and is a great brush for soaps.

For soaps the Rooney 1/1 is a good bet. You might also want to check on the Rooney 1/2 in Super. It should be within your budget and is a great brush for soaps.

A 1/2 is a 24mm knot, which a lot of gents find a bit big for face-lathering and loading from a soap bowl.

I own a Rooney 1/1 in Super and a Duke 1 and the Rooney is a much better brush. Compared to the Duke, the 1/1 is denser, the hairs are softer and stiffer, comes in three different handle colors, and it is $15 cheaper.

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
I own a Rooney 1/1 in Super and a Duke 1 and the Rooney is a much better brush. Compared to the Duke, the 1/1 is denser, the hairs are softer and stiffer, comes in three different handle colors, and it is $15 cheaper.

Care to photograph them side by side when you get a chance? Thanks!

I have a Rooney 1-2 which, for me, is exactly the right size. It is $99 plus tax and shipping. Highly recommended.

I've got Rooneys in 1/2, 2/1 and 3/1. If I could only use one of them it would probably be the 2/1 Super but make sure to order from Vintage Blades to get one with the slightly shorter loft. Nice looking, good firm knot and the handle fits just right for either face lathering or the bowl. That's a darned good brush.

proxy.php

Comparing density
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

No real explanation for this one
proxy.php

Soaking the Rooney
proxy.php

Soaking the Duke
proxy.php

Lathered up with MWF
proxy.php

proxy.php

After a few good shakes
proxy.php

Nice pics, looks like a made a good choice getting the Rooney.:biggrin: I will be sure to post pics of the new brush when it arrives.

I've got Rooneys in 1/2, 2/1 and 3/1. If I could only use one of them it would probably be the 2/1 Super but make sure to order from Vintage Blades to get one with the slightly shorter loft. Nice looking, good firm knot and the handle fits just right for either face lathering or the bowl. That's a darned good brush.
+1

Top Bottom