What's new

Where to buy vintage Gillette Super Speed?

Aiming to get me a high quality (restored) 40s Super Speed to try out a vintage razor. Almost pushed to button on a seemingly nice one at Razoremporium, but read some poor customer reviews of them so didn't dare to through with it. Any suggestions as to a recommended site/store where I could get one?

I am looking for a mild Gillette vintage so assume that a Super Speed is the one to get? - Or am I mistaken (am only a DE rookie at this point).

Thanks - any pointers highly appreciated!

Peter

I would watch the BST forum here on B&B. You can get some nice vintage razors that do not need restored.

I would watch the BST forum here on B&B. You can get some nice vintage razors that do not need restored.

+1 Also, I'd recommend finding an inexpensive user-grade specimen just to make sure you like the razor. If you do, you can look for a better example.

BST here, eBay, Etsy, local yard sales, local antique malls. Go user grade first. Look for some grungy ones on ebay. They go cheap and are fun to clean up.

BST here, eBay, Etsy, local yard sales, local antique malls. Go user grade first. Look for some grungy ones on ebay. They go cheap and are fun to clean up.

+1 - I probably got to know each of my razors best via the cleaning process.

Thanks all for your good suggestions and pointers.

As I live in Europe the trouble with buying a less than perfect one in the US is that shipping is significant/the same. Still I will definitely take your advise and try to source one locally.

Another follow-up question that you probably can answer: As I am very attracted to the Slim with its extremely cool looking adjustable mechanics, how does this compare (in its most mild mode) to the blue tip? Thanks for sharing.

I am thinking that a cool vintage razor is the only thing missing to supplement my wonderful Feather :thumbup1:

Peter

There are plenty of Superspeeds available on ebay's UK site, and many aren't too expensive. That way you will avoid expensive shipping costs and import duty (assuming you're in the EU). Just look for a rzor that looks good, and it probably will be; even the ones that look filthy and disreputable often clean up very nicely, and they're generally cheaper. Slim adjustables are generally quite a bit more expensive, with Fatboys and Aristocrats yet another notch or two up.

Thanks all for your good suggestions and pointers.

As I live in Europe the trouble with buying a less than perfect one in the US is that shipping is significant/the same. Still I will definitely take your advise and try to source one locally.

Another follow-up question that you probably can answer: As I am very attracted to the Slim with its extremely cool looking adjustable mechanics, how does this compare (in its most mild mode) to the blue tip? Thanks for sharing.

I am thinking that a cool vintage razor is the only thing missing to supplement my wonderful Feather :thumbup1:

Peter

Low settings for the Slim. I sliced myself a few times with the high settings. I enjoy my flairtip a lot more. Super mild and comfortable but can get the job done with multiple passes/strokes.

Mild Gillettes in the form of Slim Twists, Super Slim Twists, Rockets, Parats, Techs, etc. are pretty easy to find on ebay.fr, ebay.de, and ebay.co.uk. There are some Super Speeds, but they are less plentiful, of course. Don't forget your local antique and "junk" stores.

My favorite Super Speeds are the 40s style and the Red Tip.

For your first foray into Gillette TTOs I would recommend a 40s SS. Maybe the best all around razor ever made.

Top Bottom